Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 111123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:44 pm 

Ya know, I never got more than 30 or so pages into Tarnsman of Gor. . . as a matter of fact, I was just about to put it up for auction on eBay. . .  however, I am beginning to feel somewhat compelled to read a little now.  The book didn't really interest me, but it couldn't hurt to read a little BDSM slave beating.   :)

Just out of curiosity, that is. . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:12 am 

Badmike wrote:That being said, I would rather read the lastest Jean Rabe Greyhawk opus than have to open these once again.....really bad stuff.

Writer who nearly killed Greyhawk-->Rose Estes
Writer who nearly killed Dragonlance-->Jean Rabe

Regards. :-)

Michael Falconer – http://oldschooltrek.proboards.com/
“Not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time.  The green earth, say you?  That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!” —J.R.R. Tolkien

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:00 am 

Those two names should be put into the auto-censor list.... *makes sign of protection against horrible writers +5*

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:08 pm 

Jupp wrote:Those two names should be put into the auto-censor list.... *makes sign of protection against horrible writers +5*

Along with Ru Emerson, whose "contributions" to the more recent Greyhawk series were utterly unreadable. Her "Against the Giants" was the worst book I have ever attempted to read; it made both the Gor and Gord series seem like masterpieces of modern literature.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:08 am 

Falconer wrote:
Badmike wrote:That being said, I would rather read the lastest Jean Rabe Greyhawk opus than have to open these once again.....really bad stuff.

Writer who nearly killed Greyhawk-->Rose Estes
Writer who nearly killed Dragonlance-->Jean Rabe

Regards. :-)

Sorry, I mixed up my really bad female writers who nearly killed campaign settings...maybe they are really the same person? And actually I forgot Ru Emerson, another writer that doesn't get it.  Are they all related?

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:37 pm 

Only by Alignment.  All three are Chaotic Stupid.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:01 am 

December must be my month for good finds on geomophs:  I got a lot of stuff at a Wichita game store for $7.50 that included Dungeon Geos set 3, M&T Assortment set 1, the 2nd edition GW box set books (sans box), GW2-4, both editions of the GW screen, a pad of 1978 GW character sheets (31 present), and a coverless pad of 1977 Character Record sheets (11 present; the paper stock is light grey in color).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:59 am 

grodog wrote:December must be my month for good finds on geomophs:  I got a lot of stuff at a Wichita game store for $7.50 that included Dungeon Geos set 3, M&T Assortment set 1, the 2nd edition GW box set books (sans box), GW2-4, both editions of the GW screen, a pad of 1978 GW character sheets (31 present), and a coverless pad of 1977 Character Record sheets (11 present; the paper stock is light grey in color).

That's absolutely amazing.  You'd think a gaming store would have some idea as to these items' value... :!:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:18 am 

Just got back from a little jaunt around North Texas..

Only two gaming finds, but they were both excellent...

A large pile of RPG stuff, including Star Trek, Pendragon, Villains and Vigilantes, Rolemaster and Shadowrun for $1 apiece, most in pretty nice shape. Probably 50 items in all.  Also, a very nice copy of the Battletech novel Sword and the Dagger. For those that don't know, I think this is the only BT novel (based on the RPG) that was never reprinted, very hard to find. Most of the V&V stuff is going into my collection, my personal stuff was pretty well used (the counters cut out, notes in the margins, etc).

Mike B.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:15 pm 

I didn't hear back from you, Paul, so will post this here anyhow, for interest...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5947264650

Spot the T1st Greyhawk with the OCE box?

Not really a "bargain" since the Greyhawk is missing pages (T1st Greyhawks usually have faults *g*); but it's still a "fun find", IMHO, given the background.

The owner/seller was Tim Jiardini/"Arrarat" (as found in the Rogue's Gallery; not a "collection of pre-rolled PCs" contrary to The Acaeum description!).

He was playtester for the Ranger and Paladin classes, but unfortunately just a bit too young to be in Gary's core Greyhawk group.
Ended up using the same material but DMd by Gary's son, Ernie, amongst others.
Also owned the first Players Handbook ever sold (signed by Gary, of course), but his brother & friends trashed that. *sigh* :( :(

Small world, huh?

-

(Picked up his mint Blackmoor and Eldritch (a proper 1st print at last) for sensible money, in passing...).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:47 pm 

The owner/seller was Tim Jiardini/"Arrarat" (as found in the Rogue's Gallery; not a "collection of pre-rolled PCs" contrary to The Acaeum description!).

He was playtester for the Ranger and Paladin classes, but unfortunately just a bit too young to be in Gary's core Greyhawk group.
Ended up using the same material but DMd by Gary's son, Ernie, amongst others.
Also owned the first Players Handbook ever sold (signed by Gary, of course), but his brother & friends trashed that. *sigh*  

Small world, huh?

Thanks for posting this Harami :D I love hearing about these little details of the hobby. Now I am curious about who owned the other characters in the RG.

Cheers,
Curt

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:30 am 

Curt, if I may direct you to my GH homages/anagrams page, you should be able to fill in a few additional blanks:  
Gygax's Greyhawk Anagrams, Puns, and Homages

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:58 pm 

grodog wrote:Curt, if I may direct you to my GH homages/anagrams page, you should be able to fill in a few additional blanks:  

Very cool and interesting site Grodog.   :)  :)  :)  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:12 pm 

Thanks bclarkie :D

I've got a nice update on the Tsojcanth/Tscojconth page that I worked on over the holidays, but haven't made the time to put into .html yet.  I hope to get to another update again this month, but work's been brutal....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 pm 

hi guys! i read some of them gor books back in the 80's when i was at school - they were ok....got bored with them rather quick tho - very repetitive and drawn out i thought....and them gord books i picked them all up for the grand value of £1.25 (UK) in a sale...which i thought were quite good imo....at least at the time they were not bad - just enjoyed the topical content being greyhawk i guess.

my two fave ever books still remain "glory road" by robert heinlein and "saga of lost earths" by emil petaja...both novels from the 60's but the content and the flow of the story are great...

oh and as for bargains i picked up one of them jade hare things a while ago for a snap (less than £2) - didnt even realise its value and was almost on the point of throwing it away cos it looked a worthless pile of crap  :oops:  eventually sold it in a lot of gaming stuff for a playing group - which sold immensely well and couldnt understand all the interest in it til i got told  :)  was quite amusing that  :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:01 pm 

Curt, if I may direct you to my GH homages/anagrams page, you should be able to fill in a few additional blanks:

Thanks Grodog! I feel somewhat ashamed that I hadn't found that page before. Very impressive :D

Cheers,
Curt

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:41 pm 

CGOULD42 wrote:

Thanks Grodog! I feel somewhat ashamed that I hadn't found that page before. Very impressive :D

Thanks, and no worries:  most folks have better things to do with their time than scour google for Greyhawk and OD&D sites ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:01 am 

hey grodog - i sat for an hour reading your greyhawk page last night - pretty damn impressive dude....even found a little info that was useful for me in my game, as i use greyhawk for my campaign. my girlfriend and daughter are at the "keep in the borderlands" atm .... aww bless em :)

great page tho! total respect there man!

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 111123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 109110111