Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 20 of 111123 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:00 am 

LOL, I don't know if I would stretch it that far, 26 books as far as I know (the 26th beiing released not that long ago) I have the first 25, although I read only one , Kajira of Gor, which I read because I was bored one day, which i can prob best describe as ..hmm... not so much as a fantasy book, but a FANTASY book;) yet something else for me to sell off one day...

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:37 am 

beasterbrook wrote:LOL, I don't know if I would stretch it that far, 26 books as far as I know (the 26th beiing released not that long ago) I have the first 25, although I read only one , Kajira of Gor, which I read because I was bored one day, which i can prob best describe as ..hmm... not so much as a fantasy book, but a FANTASY book;) yet something else for me to sell off one day...

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't rank them up there with Leiber, Moorcock, Lovecraft, CAS, Howard, or Vance, for example....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:42 am 

You need to read them from the beginning. Kajira of Gor sucked.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:07 pm 

I'm waiting to see if one of the Gorean roleplayers I associate with will part with their copy of Witness of Gor.  I don't see it happening as the book is only available through World of Gor - Home , and perhaps amazon.

Deadlord, anything after the first ten books is rather subpar.  It's the first ten that really explain the world for the reader.  All the rest just rehash over the existing detail.  I had to make sure you and I were thinking along the same lines before I continued onward.

Which books did you find?

And whatever you do, get the US printings.  Foreign printings seem to have a lot more cut out of them then they really should have (censorship laws yanno).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:50 pm 

I know this is off subject, but I'm sure there are a few Conan fans on this forum  8)

Check this out :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:04 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I know this is off subject, but I'm sure there are a few Conan fans on this forum  8)

Check this out :D

That is so cool!!  I want one!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:11 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:LOL, I don't know if I would stretch it that far, 26 books as far as I know (the 26th beiing released not that long ago) I have the first 25, although I read only one , Kajira of Gor, which I read because I was bored one day, which i can prob best describe as ..hmm... not so much as a fantasy book, but a FANTASY book;) yet something else for me to sell off one day...

Brette:)

How much would you be willing to sell your set for?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:14 am 

Captive of Gor, Blood Brothers of Gor and Dancer of Gor were the books she got. Dancer usually goes for a bit. It might surprise everyone to know I have about as many paperbacks as I do RPG items. Complete runs of Conan, Blade, Gor, Sowrd and Sorceress, etc.
It occurs to me that I am completely surrounded by paper.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:19 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:It occurs to me that I am completely surrounded by paper.

I hope that you're not a smoker.  Although it would be a good way to go.  Up in smoke with all the rares.  Which then become rarer.

"Every cloud has a silver lining" I hear some of you saying!  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:01 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Captive of Gor, Blood Brothers of Gor and Dancer of Gor were the books she got. Dancer usually goes for a bit. It might surprise everyone to know I have about as many paperbacks as I do RPG items. Complete runs of Conan, Blade, Gor, Sowrd and Sorceress, etc.

Books 19-25 in the series command decent prices because they received one, perhaps two print runs at most.  Magicians of Gor, the last book in the series (before the release of Witness of Gor) had a single print run, and as such it is very much in demand.

However, it's the first ten that should appeal to roleplayers looking to mine ideas for their games for reasons I've stated above (I think).  To reiterate, the first ten explain facets of the world of Gor.  The remainder only rehashes what is already known, and also drives Dr. Lange's concepts into the reader's brain.

Sadly, the writing is less than stellar.  Someone pointed out to me that he had loaned his friend, a proofreader, a copy of Tarnsman of Gor.  The proofreader couldn't make it past the fourth page of the book.  The proofreader turned to the someone and said that the editors of the publisher should be shot for publishing the book in the first place.  There were just that many grammatical errors in those first four pages.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:03 pm 

This has to be worth at least a $1  8O , if not for anything but something fun to read.  :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:18 pm 

Traveller wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Captive of Gor, Blood Brothers of Gor and Dancer of Gor were the books she got. Dancer usually goes for a bit. It might surprise everyone to know I have about as many paperbacks as I do RPG items. Complete runs of Conan, Blade, Gor, Sowrd and Sorceress, etc.

Books 19-25 in the series command decent prices because they received one, perhaps two print runs at most.  Magicians of Gor, the last book in the series (before the release of Witness of Gor) had a single print run, and as such it is very much in demand.

However, it's the first ten that should appeal to roleplayers looking to mine ideas for their games for reasons I've stated above (I think).  To reiterate, the first ten explain facets of the world of Gor.  The remainder only rehashes what is already known, and also drives Dr. Lange's concepts into the reader's brain.

Sadly, the writing is less than stellar.  Someone pointed out to me that he had loaned his friend, a proofreader, a copy of Tarnsman of Gor.  The proofreader couldn't make it past the fourth page of the book.  The proofreader turned to the someone and said that the editors of the publisher should be shot for publishing the book in the first place.  There were just that many grammatical errors in those first four pages.

Here, here.  I am an English major and got my masters in American Lit.  I've tried to get into the Gor series because a friend of mine highly recomended it.  I read one of Gor books and never have I wasted more time.  Besides being outrageously BORING, they have more grammatical errors than I can handle...I want to get out the red pencil and go after them with a vengeance.  I can't believe the books weren't even edited (apparantly) because there are a lot of professional, well known writers that rely on their editors or proofreaders to correct all sorts of mistakes. Apparantly DAW books let the writer fly under the radar.  
   That being said, I would rather read the lastest Jean Rabe Greyhawk opus than have to open these once again.....really bad stuff.  The sex isn't even sexy, it's boring.  The fights are boring.  The running around is boring.  The monsters are boring.  I pictured everyone in the books sitting around talking in a monotone.  None of the characters are remotely interesting.  The main character has to be the most charisma-less, boring moron since any of Gardner Fox's "heroes". YAWN.  I have always wondered why anyone read more than one of these without a gun to their head.  

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:06 pm 

Badmike wrote:Here, here.  I am an English major and got my masters in American Lit.  I've tried to get into the Gor series because a friend of mine highly recomended it.  I read one of Gor books and never have I wasted more time.  Besides being outrageously BORING, they have more grammatical errors than I can handle...I want to get out the red pencil and go after them with a vengeance.  I can't believe the books weren't even edited (apparantly) because there are a lot of professional, well known writers that rely on their editors or proofreaders to correct all sorts of mistakes. Apparantly DAW books let the writer fly under the radar.  
   That being said, I would rather read the lastest Jean Rabe Greyhawk opus than have to open these once again.....really bad stuff.  The sex isn't even sexy, it's boring.  The fights are boring.  The running around is boring.  The monsters are boring.  I pictured everyone in the books sitting around talking in a monotone.  None of the characters are remotely interesting.  The main character has to be the most charisma-less, boring moron since any of Gardner Fox's "heroes". YAWN.  I have always wondered why anyone read more than one of these without a gun to their head.  

Mike B.

The books appeal to members of the BDSM community.  I know, because I'm a member of that community, though I tend not to go for the masochism part of it.  This is in spite of the awful grammar errors.  Recently, the first ten books were republished and re-edited to boot.  As of this point I do not know if the subsequent volumes have been printed.  Dr. Lange has had problems getting his material published  or remaining in print due to being blackballed by the (admittedly nebulous) establishment because of his non-PC thoughts.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:32 am 

Hmmm, BDSM. My friend is heavily into that. I have always felt it is better to give than to receive.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:41 pm 

After book 10, I'd just skip the over the parts where Tarl Cabot was whipping his slave girls again. That meant skipping 80% of each book, so they were a quick read.

Meandering back towards the topic, it would be fun if I could find the envelope I think the mailman left by in usual "big items go here" spot by the back door. Except it snowed before I got home, a 3 foot drift formed over that spot, and then I shoveled more on top of it (not realizing a big envelope was there), and then it all froze. So it's under a 5 foot pile of ice. Being that it's a $5 item, I'll just write it off and retrieve the soggy carcass come springtime.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:05 pm 

Traveller wrote:
Badmike wrote:Here, here.  I am an English major and got my masters in American Lit.  I've tried to get into the Gor series because a friend of mine highly recomended it.  I read one of Gor books and never have I wasted more time.  Besides being outrageously BORING, they have more grammatical errors than I can handle...I want to get out the red pencil and go after them with a vengeance.  I can't believe the books weren't even edited (apparantly) because there are a lot of professional, well known writers that rely on their editors or proofreaders to correct all sorts of mistakes. Apparantly DAW books let the writer fly under the radar.  

Mike B.

The books appeal to members of the BDSM community.  I know, because I'm a member of that community, though I tend not to go for the masochism part of it.  This is in spite of the awful grammar errors.  Recently, the first ten books were republished and re-edited to boot.  As of this point I do not know if the subsequent volumes have been printed.  Dr. Lange has had problems getting his material published  or remaining in print due to being blackballed by the (admittedly nebulous) establishment because of his non-PC thoughts.

You might be interested to know, I sell incomplete sets (maybe 10 books or so at a time) of the Gor series when I come across them,  along with the occasional pricey book in the series like Dancer or Magicians, and in the last few years I'd say close to 95% of the buyers are women.  I don't think they buy them for the grammatical errors, either  8O  
Either men are having their girlfriends buy them for them, or girls are more into the BDSM stuff, or men don't like to read the stuff as much as women, but it's been a large enough trend for me to take notice over the last few years.  

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:18 pm 

Greg, I can safely say that I pushed my way through the entire series with the exception of the last book, and can tell you flat out that at least six of the books didn't even feature Tarl (Fighting Slave of Gor, Rogue of Gor, Guardsman of Gor, Kajira of Gor, Dancer of Gor, Witness of Gor).  I can also tell you that three of the last four books in the series dealt with the war in Ar (Renegades of Gor, Vagabonds of Gor, Magicians of Gor).  Not much time to whip a slave in those two, as he was busy defending Ar in one, and enslaving his former Free Companion in the other.

I'm sure you were at least partly joking, but I'm sorry, my sense of humor has been shot all to hell tonight.  I feel that you missed out on something there, though admittedly, given the horrid quality of the writing, that's not exactly difficult to do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:27 pm 

Badmike wrote:You might be interested to know, I sell incomplete sets (maybe 10 books or so at a time) of the Gor series when I come across them,  along with the occasional pricey book in the series like Dancer or Magicians, and in the last few years I'd say close to 95% of the buyers are women.  I don't think they buy them for the grammatical errors, either  8O  
Either men are having their girlfriends buy them for them, or girls are more into the BDSM stuff, or men don't like to read the stuff as much as women, but it's been a large enough trend for me to take notice over the last few years.  

Mike B.

Keep me in mind when you get more books in.  Many more women than men are into reading the series.  The women all have hidden bondage fantasies, and nothing proves the point more than seeing women, both free and slave, outnumber the men by 2 to 1 or 3 to 1.

What do the men get out of it?  Well men tend to be control freaks, and seeing a man handle a woman as portrayed in the series gives the men a charge.  A perfect series for me to have read, though I should also read Time Slave.  Same themes, different environment.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 20 of 111123 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 109110111