Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 110 of 111123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:31 pm 

aia wrote:actually i havent it in my hands, but i'd like to know whether i had a good deal or not on this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Anytime you can pick up a complete rpg from that time period with or without the extras at that price, you got a great deal.

Of course, some games don't count - mentzer red box set, for example. But you did well.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:37 pm 

A Mentzer Red Box set is almost as bad as Fantasy Wargaming, but I think aia got a great deal. Sorry to butt in but, I just had to say something :oops:  8) Trying to keep my cool, but a good find  is a good find after all.
Anytime you can pick up a  complete rpg from that time period with or without the extras at that price, you got a great deal.

Bbarsh, I can't agree more.:) Well (jokingly), thanks for making me feel guilty of buying d20 Modern, and drowning in my soup... But then again, maybe I could use the pages of fourth edition GURPS as a life-saving squeegee to soak up the soup before I drown.  8O Well, anyhow, a good find is a good find, man. 8) I'll check out Bad Mike or Eric Pass on ebay soon...

Clayton

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:45 pm 

Captain J.A. Clayton wrote:A Mentzer Red Box set is almost as bad as Fantasy Wargaming

Gee, I imagine that Frank is going to be real happy to hear that when he is able to pop in again.  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:01 am 

My mind worked faster than my fingers? :oops: Or the other way around... Didn't mean it the way it sounded, I meant in the terms of rarity and "hard-to-findness" and stuff like that. Well, eating crow now. But one more attempt to redeem myself. Red-Box Frank Mentzer set vs. wooden box 1st edition mint? :wink:  8) Back to Captain cool. (Well, hopefully.)

Clayton

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:32 am 

This arrived today:

Here's a terrific 9-in. by 12-in. mirror with the image of a beautiful woman painted on.  Signed "Roslof", the mirror is framed with a brush-chromed finish on the metal frame.  There's one small area at bottom left where the paint appears to be raised from the mirror, but we see no other defects.  A great  60s-era collectable!

The picture and description are from the item listing. I found it off ebay, at a "collectibles" on-line store. It was shipped here from Pella, IA. Now I'm going to try to figure out if the artist is Jim Roslof or not. When I get a chance, I'll post a better picture and a close-up of the signature.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:59 am 

I recieved this today and was happy to find that Your Personal Invitation to Adventure was a first print so now I have a 1st and 2nd print.  Yippie!

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:03 am 

NetRodent wrote:I recieved this today and was happy to find that Your Personal Invitation to Adventure was a first print so now I have a 1st and 2nd print.  Yippie!

I received a copy of Your Personal Invitation to Adventure yesterday and just glanced at it.  Just wondering if the printing information is on the booklet somewhere?  If not, how do you distinguish printings?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:06 am 

See Odd Items

The first print is missing the Fiend Folio on the last page; the 2nd print includes it.

Netrodent can tell us if there are any other changes!  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 am 

There are several minor differences between the printings (mostly word capitalization and the trademark on AD&D becoming registered) but the most obvious difference is on the back in the list of of AD&D books.  The first print only list four books (PHB, MM, DMG, and D&DG) while the second print five, the other four and Fiend Folio.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:26 am 

Howdy,

zhowar wrote:The picture and description are from the item listing. I found it off ebay, at a "collectibles" on-line store. It was shipped here from Pella, IA. Now I'm going to try to figure out if the artist is Jim Roslof or not. When I get a chance, I'll post a better picture and a close-up of the signature.

It is his wife Laura's work. She does glasswork out of her custom workshop in her home.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:32 am 

NetRodent wrote:I recieved this today and was happy to find that Your Personal Invitation to Adventure was a first print so now I have a 1st and 2nd print.  Yippie!

Since you have both prints now, I am hoping you won't bid on any more.

:roll:

bonk!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:04 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,
It is his wife Laura's work. She does glasswork out of her custom workshop in her home.

Ah! Cool. Thanks, Paul. I've noticed before that Laura Roslof has a few 1981 TSR credits:

Page not found | Pen & Paper News

Dwellers of the Forbidden City (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1981)                 TSR, Inc.                 Keylining
Gamma World Referee's Screen and Mini-Module (1981)                 TSR, Inc.                 Keylining
Palace of the Silver Princess (Dungeons & Dragons (classic)) (1981)                 TSR, Inc.                 Interior Artist

Of particular note is B3. Looking in the Orange B3, I see three pictures that are signed "LR" and therefore are possibly hers:
-"The Illusion of the Decapus" on page 10.
-The statue in the garden on page 20.
-The cleric, dwarves and werewolf on page 24.

The Decapus picture is the one with the woman tied up by her own hair and removed in the Green B3 ("Banned!" as some would say... :wink: ) The other two pictures appear in the Green B3 but were both altered. The statue in the garden was changed from a woman to a dragon, and in the cleric picture, the windows were removed and the faces of the dwarves changed to orc faces.

Is it possible that Roslof drew the original picture used for the mirror and that she produced the finished product? It appears to possibly be stenciled or printed onto the mirror (I'm assuming multiple copies were produced). I ask only because it is signed "Roslof" but she signed her work "LR" - although maybe that was just to distinguish their separate work in B3?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:36 pm 

Howdy,

I'll ask her.

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:43 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,

I'll ask her.

Futures bright,

Paul

Thanks!  :)  :!:  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:29 pm 

Arrive today. Too bad the seller neglected to mention the damn thing is laminated.....

That just sucks.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:11 pm 

bbarsh wrote:

Arrive today. Too bad the seller neglected to mention the damn thing is laminated.....

That just sucks.

OK! There's an example of what I have mentioned before!

Yes, it's laminated, I know, but look past that.

See how the green on this Player's Handbook is greener than other wizard logo examples?  This book is lighter green.

Do you see the textured matte cover as opposed to the more shiney gloss of other Player's Handbooks?

Compare the cover to the slightly younger Player's Handbooks in this auction:

Ad&d Lot: Dungeons & Dragons | eBay

Can anyone else see the difference?

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:08 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:

OK! There's an example of what I have mentioned before!

Yes, it's laminated, I know, but look past that.

See how the green on this Player's Handbook is greener than other wizard logo examples?  This book is lighter green.

Do you see the textured matte cover as opposed to the more shiney gloss of other Player's Handbooks?

Compare the cover to the slightly younger Player's Handbooks in this auction:

Can anyone else see the difference?

Mark  8)

In those photos, yes, and while having not dug out any of my PHB to check, these two sure don't look different.
1st
This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued
6th
This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:35 pm 

YES!  They look distinctly different!

NOT in the colors (not really visible in these photos at least)...but...

Look at the wear marks on the binding of the older edition.  See how they are rumpled horizontally as opposed to vertically.

The older books had covers printed on tougher material that caused them to wear differently (and better) than the slightly later printings.

There is a discussion of this topic going on in another thread titled "How Green is your PHB?"

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 110 of 111123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110111