Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:09 pm 

So minty, you need protective gloves to avoid slicing yourself on the edges:

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:13 pm 

What printings?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:18 pm 

It's really the one on the right that I'm excited about  True 1st.  But the Eldritch is also a 1st printing.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:05 pm 

Howdy Stephen,

bombadil wrote:It's really the one on the right that I'm excited about  True 1st.  But the Eldritch is also a 1st printing.

Heh that's funny! I have that exact picture in my email files! :lol:

Apparently we were bidding blind against each other on that same set! If I'd known it was you I'd have backed off. I was bidding out of pure speculation and research. Sorry for driving it up.  :oops:

I didn't go more on it because it was a vertical woodgrain, early 1975 Tractics box with 1st print vol. 1 and 2 booklets and a 2nd print vol. 3. However, I am now regretting it because the set (your set now) was the set that made me finally decide the vertical woodgrain, no-label sets were put together between January and September of 1975 in Tractics boxes.

Indeed, that is a pretty important hybrid set you now own as far as research is concerned. It gives a clear demonstration that a) vol. 3 had run out by January 1975, b) vol. 3 with the variant cover stock had also run out by January of 1975, c) Tractics boxes were being substituted for 1st print D&D boxes sometime after the release of the Tractics set in April of 1975, and c) vol. 1 and 2 booklets were still available as late as January of 1975.

I am also beginning to think that the variant coverstock for vol. 3 was produced as a substitute between October 1974 and January 1975. According to Tim Jiardini's mother, who worked at the printing company during 1974-75, the company filled an order for vol. 3 booklets and none of the 1st print cover stock was left so they substituted a "cheaper cover stock".

Whether there was an overprint of vol. 1 and 2 or whether inventory of vol. 3 sold out asymmetrical to the other volumes (you could order each booklet seperately without the box - that is why they each have a cover price - you'll note that $3.50 + $3.50 + $3.50 does not equal the box cover price of $10.00) or whether there was a flaw, loss, or damage to the vol. 3 booklets from the 1st printing, I don't know yet.

In any case it seems clear that the vol. 3 variant cover stock was a later, seperate printing and not part of the 1st printing at all. I would even venture to guess that this reprinting happened between October of 1974 and January of 1975.

(edited after I check my notes)

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:08 pm 

Howdy All,

Regarding the above. Does anyone have the images of the woodgrain with the original sales receipt set that sold just this year to addermcone? Perhaps addermcone himself could provide images? Did it have a 1st print cover stock vol. 3?

I am thinking, if his vol. 3 is a 1st print, that the sales receipt for that set from October of 1974 indicates that the vol. 3 booklets with the 1st print cover stock had not run out as of that date. So the variant cover stock prints were made after this date.

Thanks!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:15 pm 

Howdy All,

Didn't someone also mention recently they saw a TSR ad in a catalog about being able to buy volume's 1 & 2 as a special combined offer? That might indicate when the vol. 3 stock intially ran out.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Stephen,

Heh that's funny! I have that exact picture in my email files! :lol:

Apparently we were bidding blind against each other on that same set! If I'd know it was you I'd have backed off. I was bidding out of pure speculation and research. Sorry for driving it up.  :oops:

I didn't go more on it because it was a vertical woodgrain, late 1975 Tractics box with 1st print vol. 1 and 2 booklets and a 2nd print vol. 3. However, I am now regretting it because the set (your set now) was the set that made me finally decide the vertical woodgrain, no-label sets were put together between April and September of 1975 in Tractics boxes.

<clip>

Futures Bright,

Paul

Okay, where the heck was I when this auction was taking place?  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:00 pm 

Howdy Brian,

An old time wargamer contacted me about it but said he had another interested party. We both lodged bids and Stephen won. I didn't even get a counter bid, it was a one shot deal.

I had no idea it was Stephen but I suspected it was a saavy collector from his bid. I thought I'd see it turn up on eBay in a few weeks with the books swapped out to make it a killer 1st print set. I was quite surprised to see the same pictures emailed to me by the seller posted by Stephen today. However, when Stephen mentioned he'd finally gotten a woodgrain, I started to suspect.

In any case, congrats to Stephen, this is a great set from the original owner. Fantastic provenance and great research data.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:19 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Didn't someone also mention recently they saw a TSR ad in a catalog about being able to buy volume's 1 & 2 as a special combined offer? That might indicate when the vol. 3 stock intially ran out.

Paul - I just bumped a post I made last fall regarding such an ad in Strategic Review #5 - December '75. The thread is "D&D Holiday Special".

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 am 

the Collector's trove wrote
Regarding the above. Does anyone have the images of the woodgrain with the original sales receipt set that sold just this year to addermcone? Perhaps addermcone himself could provide images? Did it have a 1st print cover stock vol. 3?

Hiya Paul

I've attached a couple of pics to hopefully help.
2nd and 3rd books appear to have exactly same type covers - colour, inside, 'feel', grain etc.
#3 is slightly shorter than #2 (#1 & #2 being same size).

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/adderm ... 1216_1.jpg
i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/adderm ... 1215_1.jpg
i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/adderm ... 1217_1.jpg
i147.photobucket.com/albums/r292/adderm ... 1219_1.jpg

Last 2 are just for anyone comparing the covers of the boxes for differences between a 1st & 3rd (righthand side) print

Let me know if you need any other details

Brendon

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:20 am 

Loved getting this one today.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Apart from being UK basic set (thicker box), also contained 1st print B2, Mint copies of F1002 Dungeon Geomorphs (uncut), and Monster & Treasure Assortment Set One (1st print). :D

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:42 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:Loved getting this one today.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Apart from being UK basic set (thicker box), also contained 1st print B2, Mint copies of F1002 Dungeon Geomorphs (uncut), and Monster & Treasure Assortment Set One (1st print). :D

Wow, that IS a fund find.  Congrats, Brendon.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:24 pm 

Per request, here's the product list from the inside back cover of the True 1st Greyhawk:

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:24 pm 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0050728200

Damn you Clarkie!  For $199 I just had to price it out real (REAL) quick and give GDQ and a few others a careful look.  Shouldn't have wasted those 45 seconds.

Oh well, I think there's is a lot of 92 mods that might soon get lost in an M-bag shipment.  Suppose I should try to help the guy out on that one.   :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:28 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0050728200

Damn you Clarkie!  For $199 I just had to price it out real (REAL) quick and give GDQ and a few others a careful look.  Shouldn't have wasted those 45 seconds.

Oh well, I think there's is a lot of 92 mods that might soon get lost in an M-bag shipment.  Suppose I should try to help the guy out on that one.   :D

I actually did a quick price out myself.  Everything looked pretty good so I said what the hell.  To be honest if it makes you feel any better, I took a good 3 or 4 minutes after deciding that I could make it worth my time to buy it before actually deciding to buy it.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:52 pm 

Oddly enough, in all these years I've never had a GDQ . . . Not one.  Strange.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Oddly enough, in all these years I've never had a GDQ . . . Not one.  Strange.

Great now I feel bad. :?  If you want we can work out a trade or something or perhaps even I can ship it to you so you can have a read through and then just ship it back to me when you are done. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Great now I feel bad. :?  If you want we can work out a trade or something or perhaps even I can ship it to you so you can have a read through and then just ship it back to me when you are done. :)

:D   No worries!  I'm not really upset.   But thanks!   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111