Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:15 pm 

I have one similar

Cover:
4th type
Yellow lettering High
Advanced D&D red outlined in black on yellow banner no TM
Wizard

Spine:
White Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (tiny Reg mark)
MONSTER MANUAL
Gary Gygax (small)
Wizard TSR Games
no ISBN

Fly-leaves:
Red

Copyright Page:
3rd edition, December 1978

Vampire:
3 melee rounds

Catalog:
Prices
DMG Future release

GenCon Add
Potpourri

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:32 pm 

http://i7.tinypic.com/20zpkqa.jpg

Well I have a 300dpi bmp of the above and when I took the white from the wizard logo and pasted it next to the "AD&D" and "Monster Manual" I would say that I think the letters are faded to 'whitish'.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:38 pm 

See if this works better, tiny pic is slow

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:31 pm 

ShaneG -  I think the spine has faded. "Monster Manual" on the spine should be yellow for that print also.

Obiter -  Is the spine on yours the same as the pic posted by Shane? Other than the white advanced dungeons & dragons it matches the 3rd+ print info. Maybe faded as well?

I have a 3rd+ here if anyone needs more info from it.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:43 pm 

Plaag:

Thanks for the photo, but it raises more questions than it answers.  I'll look more when I get home, but something seems eeriely "wrong" with that spine.  I can't put my finger on it, exactly.  (Ok, I'll level with ya.  It looks more like the artwork from a "Holmes" Basic rulebook than a MM, but that doesn't make any sense, does it!)  8O

Obiter:

This may or may not be a "4th minus".  Please, double & triple check that it says rounds in both parts of the Vampire description, not just one.  Specifically right before the words "of immersion".  (If so, we may have found the missing printing after all, and it belongs with the 3rds.  If not, it is another 3rd+, with similar coloring to Plaag's.)

This is fun.   :lol:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:45 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:I have a 3rd+ here if anyone needs more info from it.

Please, if you get a chance, compare the artwork on your spine to Plaag's photo.  Not the colors, the patterns.  Something seems off.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm 

Please, if you get a chance, compare the artwork on your spine to Plaag's photo. Not the colors, the patterns. Something seems off.

Everything matches on the spine. I see what you mean though, with the fading it seems to match the blue of the Holmes booklet.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:08 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:
Everything matches on the spine. I see what you mean though, with the fading it seems to match the blue of the Holmes booklet.

Mike

Thanks.  I hate being stuck at work without my books, can't get anything done.   :roll:

Just to cover all the bases, is your red lettering actually red, chromaticknight?

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:19 pm 

Thanks for the info...

I compared the spine with a 3rd print just now, so yeah the spine must have faded.

I did see that this page needs updating: Errata MM

both the 3rd and 3rd+ done have an Ape (Gorilla) pic (though do have one for the carnivorous ape)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:28 pm 

All very interesting.

I have never looked over the print runs of my AD&D manuals before.

I see that my Monster Manual is a 3rd+ print.

I see that my Player's Handbook is a 3rd print.

There are two things I noted about these books that are not listed in the Acaeum information that I think bears noting:

1)  My 7th print Player's Handbook has a detail not noted:  The Yellow banner does not touch the edge of the back spine.  It touches the top of the book but there is a green gap of approximately 1/8th inch between the angled banner and the back spine.

2)  I'll raise this issue again, because the books are in my hands and I am not imagining it:

My 3rd print Player's Handbook looks different from my later editions....

Specifically, it is a different color green.  Also, it has a more textured cover than the smooth, shiney later editions.  

I am not imagining it....I can see it.

Also, the difference in texture and color are not the result of use and fading....I noted the color difference way back when the books were new.  I have been talking about it from memory until now.  The difference is most clearly noticeable on the spines, where the green is completely different.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:47 pm 

One other detail I did not find mentioned on the Acaeum pages....

My 3rd print Player's Handbook has the company address next to the wizard logo on the cover.

But, it also has the address printed...very small...next to the wizard on the spine.

There is an ISBN # but no address on the spines of the other two books on my desk.

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:55 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:There are two things I noted about these books that are not listed in the Acaeum information that I think bears noting:

1)  My 7th print Player's Handbook has a detail not noted:  The Yellow banner does not touch the edge of the back spine.  It touches the top of the book but there is a green gap of approximately 1/8th inch between the angled banner and the back spine.

2)  I'll raise this issue again, because the books are in my hands and I am not imagining it:

My 3rd print Player's Handbook looks different from my later editions....

Specifically, it is a different color green.  Also, it has a more textured cover than the smooth, shiney later editions.  

I am not imagining it....I can see it.

Can you post pictures?  :)

Also, if anyone knows how to move these recent posts to a Core rulebook research thread, or something, it'd be appreciated.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:08 pm 

Plaag wrote:Thanks for the info...

I compared the spine with a 3rd print just now, so yeah the spine must have faded.

Glad to be of help!  For future reference, there is much better evidence that the spine had faded.  The spider in the tree has red spots on its back.  It's not just a white font, or the spots would remain red.

Curiously, 1st prints seem almost immune to fading, and have a different texture...
Plaag wrote:I did see that this page needs updating: Errata MM

both the 3rd and 3rd+ dont have an Ape (Gorilla) pic (though do have one for the carnivorous ape)

Right you are, that page is in error.  The MM is missing Ape (Carnivorous) in the first print, only.  It's present in the 2nd onwards.  

As far as I know, Ape (Gorilla) never gets a pic, so it isn't missing.  If this is the information as provided in Dragon Magazine #35, then it is also in error...but I suspect it's a little late to write them about it.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:50 pm 

Is this still the "Fun Finds" thread?

:?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:59 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Is this still the "Fun Finds" thread?

:?

yeah nothing much fun being found - cmon you moneybags lot...surely there must be some stuff out there i can be jealous of :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:45 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Plaag:

Thanks for the photo, but it raises more questions than it answers.  I'll look more when I get home, but something seems eeriely "wrong" with that spine.  I can't put my finger on it, exactly.  (Ok, I'll level with ya.  It looks more like the artwork from a "Holmes" Basic rulebook than a MM, but that doesn't make any sense, does it!)  8O

Obiter:

This may or may not be a "4th minus".  Please, double & triple check that it says rounds in both parts of the Vampire description, not just one.  Specifically right before the words "of immersion".  (If so, we may have found the missing printing after all, and it belongs with the 3rds.  If not, it is another 3rd+, with similar coloring to Plaag's.)

This is fun.   :lol:

The Vampire is melee rounds / and turns of immersion.
I've compared the colour to both my 3rd and 4th and the whole cover looks completely washed out.  :(

Just a washed up 3+

So, moving along ... any fun finds??? :D

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:55 pm 

I will post a picture if I can....got to locate the right camera and then make my son do it for me.

However...the "washed out" look you are mentioning may in fact be the color difference I have long noticed.  I suspect it was always lighter colored.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:46 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

yeah nothing much fun being found - cmon you moneybags lot...surely there must be some stuff out there i can be jealous of :D

Al

I've got:

Immortal Rules with a $20 BIN

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

Rules Cyclopedia with a $5 BIN

Planescape Campaing Setting for $8.88:

Lands of Intrigue in Shrinkwrap for $8.64

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111