Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 100123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 9899100
Author


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:41 am 
 


** expired eBay auction **


I must say I am quite surprised this didn't do better than it did.  Nice win there Jeff. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5643
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 29, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:47 am 
 

Yeah, I sasw that one, but didn't want to shell out the $$$ given that I need to be selling sooner vs. later.  Le sigh:  it was definitely a good deal!

edit:  referrring to the BIN Dragon #1, not signed Chainmail.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 636
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:51 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
** expired eBay auction **


I must say I am quite surprised this didn't do better than it did.  Nice win there Jeff. :)


Indeed.  I was expecting the snipes to pile on at the last minute like they usually do.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:56 am 
 

NetRodent wrote:

Indeed.  I was expecting the snipes to pile on at the last minute like they usually do.


I was expecting that as well.

BTW, Nice win as well Stephen:


** expired eBay auction **


Probably not optimal condition, but I know you have been looking for one for a while. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58 am 
 

And David are you trying to corner the market on these things or what?


** expired eBay auction **


:P


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:01 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:

I was expecting that as well.

BTW, Nice win as well Stephen:


** expired eBay auction **


Probably not optimal condition, but I know you have been looking for one for a while. :)


Thanks, Brian.  I believe it is close to $1K under what the last two sold privately for.  They were in MUCH better condition, though.


Let mirth prevail!

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2750
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:02 am 
 

well done all - the st1, chain and domesday all were good buys at the price!


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:00 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Nice pick up BTB:


** expired eBay auction **


I would have snapped it up in a second myself if that seller wasn't a jack-ass.  I just could bring myself to provide him with any income towards his future purchases, good deal or not.


Yeah, you know I am always hovering over those Buy it Now deals.  :D   I saw that one almost immediately . . . but I was in an extreme hurry and not able to really look at the condition . . .  It was still there a few hours later  :wink:  What am I supposed to do?

You all know I don't get into bidding wars to try and resell rare and very valuable items . . . but if someone lists a BIN, I figure it's fair game.


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:29 pm 
 

Okay I got this lot today:

** expired eBay auction **

and now have a question..

The Monster Manual I got should be a 3rd+ print (info from site)
Third+

   * This is a strange hybrid print.  The cover is identical to the Fourth print (aside from the spine), but the interior is identical to the Third print
   * Wizard logo
   * Cover art is of a collection of monsters, including a small red dragon, a unicorn, and a troll
   * "Advanced D&D" is now in an angled yellow banner, top left corner; the red letters of "Advanced D&D" have black highlights, and there's no "TM" designation after it
   * "Monster Manual" title has moved from lower mid-cover to the top
   * Spine has "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in red lettering, and now has a very tiny registered trademark symbol.  States "Gary Gygax"
   * No ISBN
   * Endpapers and flyleaves are red
   * States "3rd Edition, December 1978" on the copyright page
   * Thanks to Scott Cordiner and Eric Pass for this info

Though mine has this instead: Spine has "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in white lettering, and now has a very tiny registered trademark symbol.  States "Gary Gygax"

Is this a 3rd+ or something inbetween 3rd+ and 4th?

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5634
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:51 pm 
 

I would say it's a 3rd+ Alpha Epsilon-.
How in the world do you guys keep up with all these printings?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:57 pm 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:I would say it's a 3rd+ Alpha Epsilon-.
How in the world do you guys keep up with all these printings?


well they have to spend their time doing SOMETHING frank :)

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:05 pm 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:I would say it's a 3rd+ Alpha Epsilon-.
How in the world do you guys keep up with all these printings?


I use a great site: The Acaeum, maybe you have heard of it before :wink:

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:13 pm 
 

Shane..

Check out the green ink on that Players Handbook.

I have described early prints that seem to have a different green color than slightly later prints....a "greener dark green" as opposed to a "darker dark green."  Also, the slightly later books seem to have a smoother, shiney finish or patina that the earlier books lack.

Is the Players Handbook in this lot an example of the lighter colored ink?  Do you have another Players Handbook to compare it to?

Mark   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:08 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:Okay I got this lot today:

** expired eBay auction **

and now have a question..

The Monster Manual I got should be a 3rd+ print (info from site)
Third+

   * This is a strange hybrid print.  The cover is identical to the Fourth print (aside from the spine), but the interior is identical to the Third print
   * Wizard logo
   * Cover art is of a collection of monsters, including a small red dragon, a unicorn, and a troll
   * "Advanced D&D" is now in an angled yellow banner, top left corner; the red letters of "Advanced D&D" have black highlights, and there's no "TM" designation after it
   * "Monster Manual" title has moved from lower mid-cover to the top
   * Spine has "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in red lettering, and now has a very tiny registered trademark symbol.  States "Gary Gygax"
   * No ISBN
   * Endpapers and flyleaves are red
   * States "3rd Edition, December 1978" on the copyright page
   * Thanks to Scott Cordiner and Eric Pass for this info

Though mine has this instead: Spine has "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in white lettering, and now has a very tiny registered trademark symbol.  States "Gary Gygax"

Is this a 3rd+ or something inbetween 3rd+ and 4th?

ShaneG.

To be sure, these are confusing and not necessarily documented to the fullest.  

At the outset, the front cover from the auction photo appears to be a 4th-5th (can't tell which, it's too small).  However, the way you've described the spine sounds like a 3rd.  This is typical of the 3rd+ printing, I believe, but sadly I don't have one to confirm.  It's something between a 3rd and a 4th, certainly.  I'm guessing the white lettering is more likely faded red ink, which is quite typical of the 2nd/3rd printings.  Look closely; is there any pinkish hue to the letters at all?

Please confirm that the yellow-banner has black-outlined red letters, and whether the vampire has rounds or turns in this sentence:

The vampire loses one-third of its hit points per _____ of immersion.

I'll pester you for more details if necessary. ;)

 YIM  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 754
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:48 pm 
 

Howdy,


Could be a 4th minus. The only confirmed existance of a 4th minus is the DMG printing with the MM pages bound in. If the lettering on the spine is indeed white, the catalog pages have prices, and the vampire errata is incorporated you may have found one! Cool. Let us know the details of the catalog and vampire eratta on page 99.


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5643
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 29, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 am 
 

Mark:  this thread may help you out, too:
MM - 4th printing found with red end papers (news to grodog)


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:44 am 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Could be a 4th minus. The only confirmed existance of a 4th minus is the DMG printing with the MM pages bound in. If the lettering on the spine is indeed white, the catalog pages have prices, and the vampire errata is incorporated you may have found one! Cool. Let us know the details of the catalog and vampire eratta on page 99.

Let's not get overenthusiastic, yet.  We don't know that the 4th minus ever existed in book form, what type of spine it had, etc.  I had ruled 4th minus out simply because Plaag matched his copy closest with the 3rd+.  The text on Plaag's MM spine may be white, but if so, it's the "wrong" text entirely!  

Anyway, the catalog page is critical to clearing this up.  (If it's found to match a 4th minus in all respects, but states "Third Edition" on the copyright page, I think we should rename it the 3rd Gamma, accordingly.)

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:40 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:To be sure, these are confusing and not necessarily documented to the fullest.  

At the outset, the front cover from the auction photo appears to be a 4th-5th (can't tell which, it's too small).  However, the way you've described the spine sounds like a 3rd.  This is typical of the 3rd+ printing, I believe, but sadly I don't have one to confirm.  It's something between a 3rd and a 4th, certainly.  I'm guessing the white lettering is more likely faded red ink, which is quite typical of the 2nd/3rd printings.  Look closely; is there any pinkish hue to the letters at all?

Please confirm that the yellow-banner has black-outlined red letters, and whether the vampire has rounds or turns in this sentence:

The vampire loses one-third of its hit points per _____ of immersion.

I'll pester you for more details if necessary. ;)


No pinkish hue to the letters on the spine.
The yellow-banner has black-outlined red letters.
Vampire: has 'turn' in that sentence.
Catalog has prices.

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 655
Joined: Nov 05, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 01, 2021
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:58 am 
 

ShaneG -  could you post a pic of the spine?

It's something between a 3rd and a 4th, certainly. I'm guessing the white lettering is more likely faded red ink, which is quite typical of the 2nd/3rd printings.


I agree with Deimos.

Mike

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:10 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:Vampire: has 'turn' in that sentence.
Catalog has prices.

Ok, definitely not a 4th minus.  Do the words "Monster Manual" on the spine have any discernable yellowish tinge?  Just to confirm, does it state "3rd Edition" on the copyright page?  

A closeup spine photo would help as well, and I'll break out the color filters when I get home and look for artifacts...sometimes they can find stuff not visible to the human eye.

I don't actually have a 3rd+ to examine as a reference, so if someone can confirm that their 3rd+ actually has colored lettering, or not, that'd be extremely helpful.  (I'm assuming the Acaeum description is correct...but sometimes they aren't.) :)

 YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 100123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 9899100