Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 10 of 111123 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:58 pm 

For every one of those stories there are the following:

Drove to more than 100 garage sales this summer. Scouted out 35 used book stores in a week. Visited more than two dozen gaming stores. Questioned everyone.

Result: Found a beat up copy of B2 for $10. At least it was a first printing... 8O

Now, that is just a fictional story. But I guaranttee if I did the above search in real life, that would be the result!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:29 pm 

Colorado has some bargains still, and a lot of stock.  Lots of collections are still sifting through.  But many of the bigger stores have grown wise - where I used to be able to pick up pastels for $2 each, they now run for $20 in bad shape.  Store owners do eBay searches and use the highest price for the item as the median for heavily worn items.  To their shock, D&D sits and rots on the shelves.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:45 am 

Store owners do eBay searches and use the highest price for the item as the median for heavily worn items. To their shock, D&D sits and rots on the shelves.

EBAY: How I love and loathe Thee.

In the past year, I too have noticed that used book stores and game stores are 'savvy' to the D&D collectible market.  I quote 'savvy' because that just means they put over priced items out for sale and they rot.

I haven't had a 'good day' of bargain shopping since my super lucky find that started this thread.

I almost thought of printing out flyers and stuffing them in mailboxes around my neighborhood (lots of 30 something technical workers near me... HAS to be a good territory for good stuff!).

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:18 am 

My wife works at Barnes and Noble, and she was telling me there is some lady there that she is friends with whose son has grown up and moved out, and left behind all his RPG stuff. I guess he was a fanatic. So my wife told her I'd be interested in it, and I will be talking to her about it this week. Can't wait to see if there are any goodies.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:22 am 

Well, I guess I have done pretty well the last year.  Between used book stores, Comic stores and Game stores I have found the following:

D&D Gazetteer Minrothad Guilds (shrinkwrap) $8.00
Hillmen of the Trollshaws 2 copies - MERP (shrink) $6.00 each
AD&D Silver Anniversary Box (shrink) $38.00 (sold it for $110)
Paranoia 2nd ed rulebooks (mint) $10.00 each (sold for $36 & $32.00)
Deities & Demigods w/Chulhu (EX/NM) $10.00
Rod of Seven Parts Boxed Set (shrink) $10.00
Marvel Super Heroes Ultimate Powers Book $10.00 (sold for $42.00)
Dragon #148 with complete Deck of Many Things (cover price)
Rogue Trooper Boxed Game (shrink) $20.00 (sold for $40.00)
G.I. Anvil of Victory - Avalon Hill (shrink) $28.50 (sold for $76.00)
Britannia - Avalon Hill (unused) $25.00 (sold for $80.00)
Civilization - Avalon Hill (original Unused) $10.00 (sold for $75.00)
D&D Expert Set - Erol Otus art (shrink) $10.00
Temple of Elemental Evil (VG - no maps) $4.00 each
Changeling the Dreaming Kithbook Pooka $2.95 (sold for $100.00)
7th Sea - The Pirate Nations $19.99 (sold for $50.00)
Deities & Demigods, PH, MM, S1 & B1 (mono), B2, Basic Rulebook: $10.00
D&D Rules Cyclopedia (NM) $10.00
Tons of Unused and/or shrinkwrapped Battletech, Changeling & Warhammer (at least $300.00 profit)
A couple dozen modules between $2.00 - $5.00
Stratego - Milton Bradley from 1984 (shrink) $3.99
D&D IM2 Wrath of Olympus (shrink) $6.00
A Paladin in Hell Module (shrink) $8.00 (sold for $24.00)

:D  :D  :D

There's more, but those are the best of the finds.  Lots of stuff that I know of that would be a good deal for a collector, but have questionable resell value.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:11 am 

Not bad, beyond.  You haven't been sneaking up to Toronto, have you?  I've been to every used book store, comic store, and game store (what game stores!) I can find, every yard sale I saw -- nothing.  Well, nothing worth buying.  I can pick up a Deities & Demigods (without Cthulhu) anytime I want for $40...  :x

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:20 am 

There's a used bookstore here thta has a Cthulthu-les Deities for $95.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:03 pm 

There is nothing in the South Jersey area either.  

When it comes to old Grenadier and Ral Partha minis however, man I have like 100 boxes by now and still so much more to purchase.  Most of them at regular prices from 20 years ago.

Anyone interested in trading minis for D&D stuff send me a message, maybe we can work work something out. :)

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:10 pm 

Hi All,

just picked up both the UK d&d sticker books.

Now, I wonder if any of these will stick to my wifes new gucci handbag... ?  :twisted:

Cheers,
Malcolm

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:44 pm 

Hey deimos, you could take the "Fast Ferry" on over. . .  Oh, no wait - I guess that great idea kind of fell apart.  (If anyone in Toronto even bothers to note that they have "shut down" that is).  :roll:

What the hell am I doing back here anyway. . . why did I ever leave Arizona. . .

Well, at least I am the first person in town to raid the shops.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:03 pm 

Obscure non-TSR "fun find" for $5.

"Quests for Adventure"; Necromancer Publications (Wisbech, UK), 1981.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5922797835

Does anyone else have this; and if so, is it any good? ... And were there any other titles published?

The Necromancer fanzine (I've only got issue #6 = 1980) was eventually advertised via White Dwarf and ran to about 100 (A4!) copies. Later issues (per WD #20) were meant to have free games modules, but it looks like this particular item was picked up at a local games shop.
Certainly doesn't look familiar to me...

(The seller also had a few other interesting goodies such as EX(?+) GW prints of G1-3 for $10 or so, each).

p.s. No other "fun finds" (in this thread) for the past 20 days??

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:46 pm 

dbartman wrote:
grodog wrote:I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the GB shrinkwrap set that just arrived is another 10th anniversary set:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

=)

Congrats!  I figured it was but didn't bid since I had already gotten one.  Did it still have the 10th anniversary insert?  It looked like it was missing, which could potentially decrease the value.

Sorry I missed this before, dbartman---it did indeed have the 10th insert :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:50 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:There is nothing in the South Jersey area either.  

When it comes to old Grenadier and Ral Partha minis however, man I have like 100 boxes by now and still so much more to purchase.  Most of them at regular prices from 20 years ago.

Anyone interested in trading minis for D&D stuff send me a message, maybe we can work work something out. :)

T_F---If you're looking for non-D&D TSR in modules in shrink (GB, BH, SF, etc.), you should definitely visit Gamers Realm.  They also had various non-TSR stuff, too (some JG, Thieves Guild, the odd Companions or Dimension Six modules, etc.).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:28 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:Changeling the Dreaming Kithbook Pooka $2.95 (sold for $100.00)

What? One of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923803196

*...stares at it blankly...*

$100. Why?
(aside from there being one on Amazon, second-hand, at that price).

$7.99 at present on eBay and looks like the seller's got a full set, fwiw...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:13 pm 

Changeling?  This is the RPG goldmine - Changeling takes in the highest prices of anything out there (1980's and up).

I think it is due to the amount of people involved in the "Faerie World".  You don't need to actually play Changeling (or any White Wolf stuff) - I think they are more designed for reading/entertainment..

Kithbook Pooka deals with the mischievous Pooka - they can assume the shapes of animals and are friends of all animalkind.   My guess is they are the most appealing Kith to those who play.

My prediction is a sale price of $82.00  8O

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:32 pm 

grodog wrote:
dbartman wrote:
Congrats!  I figured it was but didn't bid since I had already gotten one.  Did it still have the 10th anniversary insert?  It looked like it was missing, which could potentially decrease the value.

Sorry I missed this before, dbartman---it did indeed have the 10th insert :D

Good for you! :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:15 pm 

Ive never heard of gamer's realm, is that an online store?

grodog wrote:
Terminal_Frost wrote:There is nothing in the South Jersey area either.  

T_F---If you're looking for non-D&D TSR in modules in shrink (GB, BH, SF, etc.), you should definitely visit Gamers Realm.  They also had various non-TSR stuff, too (some JG, Thieves Guild, the odd Companions or Dimension Six modules, etc.).

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:04 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:Ive never heard of gamer's realm, is that an online store?

Online as well as brick-and-mortar (in Cinnaminson on Route 130, as well as up in West Windsor near Princeton):  http://www.gamersrealm.com/

Greyhawk, grodog Style

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 10 of 111123 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 109110111