Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 65 of 111123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:16 am 

*Points at the post above*

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That must have been a fun group, Mike.  

My players were so frightened by the time they reached the Vault that they spent lots of time hiding in the mushroom forest and arguing about what to do.  

They finally went into the Drow city, where they watched in derision as one very unpopular Lawful Good cleric was charmed and taken away by a succubus.

They fought a Nycadaemon (Mezzodaemon?  Which one was tougher?) and got into all kinds of unintended trouble.

I distinctly remember one high level fighter-magic user who was being held in the House Eilservs dungeon.  He assumed that he was far underground and decided to dimension door 300' up at a right angle.  The other characters were watching the estate, trying to rescue the mage, when they saw him appear up in the air and plummet to his death.     :lol:

By the time the characters got to the Fane they were jaded and edgy.  They wiped out Lolth's material form in a battle which left everyone in the party insane, berzerk or comotose.  They went on to kill Lolth in Queen of the Spiderweb Pits.  She is still considered dead in my campaign, to this day...gone these 25 years passed!  God I'm old.   :?

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:33 am 

MShipley88 wrote: *Points at the post above*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That must have been a fun group, Mike.

My players were so frightened by the time they reached the Vault that they spent lots of time hiding in the mushroom forest and arguing about what to do.

They finally went into the Drow city, where they watched in derision as one very unpopular Lawful Good cleric was charmed and taken away by a succubus.

They fought a Nycadaemon (Mezzodaemon? Which one was tougher?) and got into all kinds of unintended trouble.

I distinctly remember one high level fighter-magic user who was being held in the House Eilservs dungeon. He assumed that he was far underground and decided to dimension door 300' up at a right angle. The other characters were watching the estate, trying to rescue the mage, when they saw him appear up in the air and plummet to his death.   :lol:

Mark

What a great story!  Getting around the Vault is so open ended that there are literaly dozens of directions the story can take once they reach it. The more intelligent members of my party (two human clerics, a female NPC Illusionist, and a elven thief) thought up some great strategies, and at one point captured a drow merchant and basically cowed him into helping them, they used his pack lizards and goods to front themselves as a merchant group. The illusionist cast a spell and made it look like the elven ftr/mages and dwarven fighters were "prisoners", the human all dressed up as drow and were able to explore quite a bit, using Tongues and various spells to make the party look at home in the Vault.  However, the perfect disguise was always spoiled when the Dwarven fighter with the 7 INt would forget he was supposed to be pretending to be a prisoner and start beserkly hacking with his axe at any female drow (they all looked like Eclavdra to him), or the elven ftr mage Gandolin who was overly fond of fire spells (his entire roster of 3rd level mage spells was Fireball) would try to toast a Drow warparty even though they had magic resistance and often wouldn't be hurt.  This led to interparty squablles among the dwarves and elves about who could kill the most drow, and sometimes the arguing would get so annoying that the player with the thief (he also had a half orc fighter) would make his characters wander off for his own adventures as the others would continue bickering, no surprise his thief finished the GDQ series as the highest level character, he was always stealing the best treasure under the rest of the party's noses as they fought all day long with each other.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:54 am 

...he was always stealing the best treasure under the rest of the party's noses as they fought all day long with each other.

Now that's a smart player :!:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:56 am 

Veteran Dungeon Masters Guide

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Lot | eBay

Ouch!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:12 pm 

did alot of travelling  over the holidays, visiting family in various cities.  not too much luck (except for a SW GAZ12 i was happy to find) until long island a couple days before coming home.  stopped by another game store, didn't see much, but figured i'd ask about old stuff.  the owner responded "yeah, i have some of that, but it's all the way in the basement, it would take like an hour to get." to which i responded "that's ok, i'll be back in an hour, you go get it."   came back an hour later and he had some stuff layed out.  i asked if he'd brought it all.  "most of it" he said, "there's not too much left down there".  i said "ok, i'll go looking through this, you go get the rest."  he was sweating and breathing heavy and not too happy, but i was busy looking through the piles and didn't care.  end result:

Gazetter Dawn of the Emperors box
Ruins of Undermountain II (SW)
FMA-2 Endless Armies
OA5 Mad Monkey vs Dragon Claw
OA6 Ronin Challenge
Cleric's Challenge II
Children of the Night The Created
Greyhawk The Scarlet Brotherhood
A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
1984:  AD&D2 Accessory Player Character Records Sheets
AC2 Combat Shield & Mini Adventure (adventure is missing)
AC9 Creature Catalogue
AC10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants
B1 In Search of the Unknown (mono)
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
B4 The Lost City
B5 Horror on the Hill
B5 Horror on the Hill
B6 The Veiled Society
B7 Rahasia
B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond
C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness
C4 To Find a King
CM2 Death's Ride
CM6 Where Chaos Reigns
CM8 The Endless Stair
I4 Oasis of the White Palm
I8 Ravager of Time
M1 Into the Maelstrom
M3 Twilight Calling (signed by Elmore)
N2 The Forest Oracle
O1 The Gem and the Staff
O2 Blade of Vengence
S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
T1 The Village of Hommlet (mono)
WG6 Isle of the Ape
X3 Curse of Xanathon
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads
X9 The Savage Coast
X11 Saga of the Shadow Lord
X12 Skarda's Mirror
Xsolo Lathan's Gold
XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain
Dragon Mags 99, 114, 132, 144, 148, 148, 151, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 155, 155, 158, 160, 162, 163, 165, 166, 166, 167, 167, 168, 168, 169, 170, 171, 171, 172, 172, 173, 174, 174, 175, 175, 176, 179, 180, 180, 181, 181, 182, 183, 184, 184, 185, 185, 186, 198, 216, 217, 219, 219, 244

and for this stack i walked out with i paid a total of $115.  not a bad deal, don't think i'll have that luck anytime again soon...

-dave

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:01 pm 

super deal that dave!

goes up there around the bclarkie super-flukey type of finds :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:19 pm 

dsaunders wrote:did alot of travelling over the holidays, visiting family in various cities. not too much luck (except for a SW GAZ12 i was happy to find) until long island a couple days before coming home.

What place on Long Island was this?  I didn't think there was anyplace left... and since you've already cleaned it out there's no harm in sharing now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:44 pm 

the place was called Monkey Head Games, near Centereach.  he had a couple stacks of old modules left, but i think i took the best  :wink:  let me know if you find anything interesting that i missed.

-dave

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:57 am 

I just had to send out a  :) Woo Hoo :)  to dsaunders for his dragon horde score!  Nice work.   8)

Mark

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:18 pm 

A freebie I picked up in passing...

1977 Character Record Sheets
per Page Not Found

Side-tearing (red-colored gum) pad: 24 sheets in the block (those still minty) plus 3 sheets detatched and cover sheet, slightly crumpled (all in blue). £1.75 Games Centre (London & Kingston-upon-Thames) sticker on the back of the pad.
Looks "all-original", so possibly interesting in the context of that other 27 sheet side-tearing pad (in orange) which was a UK "find"?

Any thoughts, please?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:37 pm 

dsaunders wrote:the place was called Monkey Head Games, near Centereach. he had a couple stacks of old modules left, but i think i took the best :wink: let me know if you find anything interesting that i missed.

-Damn! I use to live in Centeroach! Never saw that place. Bummer for me, good luck for you.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:14 am 

The Seattle area is a dead zone for old RPG shopping.  One game store, Wonderworld, Burien WA, is the champion, having acquired the stock of all other stores.  (American Eagle hangs on as well, I guess.)

Their store is jam packed with stuff...JAMMED...but the prices just aren't there.

I have not hit a gaming score in a second hand store in years.

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:49 am 

i still check used book stores, although my luck with those is running pretty thin now.  ohio area used book stores usually have something, north carolina though, at least the area i'm in, never has anything.  couple used book stores where you can get 3rd edition junk or one booklet from the forgotten realms campaign box set.  there is one gaming store, but there used stuff is a little overpriced.

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:25 am 

dsaunders wrote:and for this stack i walked out with i paid a total of $115. not a bad deal, don't think i'll have that luck anytime again soon...

There's a special place in the nine hells for people with your luck dsaunders.   :evil:

:P

Ah yeah, cheers on your good luck. :D

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:21 am 

Took a trip to Portland and spent 2 days mining the book stores and various other places for stuff. Here is what I came away with, let me know what you think. 75% of the items are in mint/excellent condition, and an item or two are still in the shrink.

What I paid is at the bottom, let me know what you think.

Dragon magazine issue 2 vol I and issue 5 vol II (for 5 bucks each at a paper back book store!!)

600 original (out of production) TSR/Ral Partha/Grenadier 25mm minis (yes, a collection of 600 of them) including tons of giants, dragons, demons, larger monsters as well as entire armies of fighters, wizards, you name it. Many of the minis date back to the 1970s, all are in EXCELLENT shape.

30+ D&D and AD&D 1st ed modules, including:

A2
A3
B11
B12
C6 (RPGS tournament handbook)
DL4
DL5
DL7
DL8
DL9
DL10
DL12
DL13
DL14
FR9
FR11
G1-2-3
I3
I6
I10
L1
L2
Q1
S1 (mono)
S2
S4
UK1
UK5
WG7

A D&D trail map set

5 Judges Guild items including:

Temple of Ra Accursed by Set
Dark Tower
Lara's Tower
Sea Steeds & Wave Riders
Pegasus #11

Some cool looking game system called "Deep Delve" by Clint Bigglestone

Greyhawk Wars box set
Ruins of Undermountain box set
Birthright campaign box set

Three mint cond RoleAids books

Two volumes of the Monsterous Compendium w/ nice mint binders

A stack or random, weird odds n ends, paperwork, loose modules, etc.

All this I got for $800. What do you think?? I think the 600 original minis are what put the collection well over the top.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:49 am 

How much are loose minis usually worth?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:28 am 

Well, the sheer size and scope of the collection, and the fact most of it is from the golden age, was why I thought it was worth it. I think a buck a piece if about right, so I didn't steal the collection or anything, but it was certainly a fun find. The collection also contains numerous large 25mm minis, fire giants, dragons, you name it. I've seen collections of between 100 and 300 25mm minis on ebay got for $200-$350, so I think I certainly got a good deal. But indeed, I'd be curious to know what others think as well. The other items, many of which will be resold, will make up for much of my cost too. Items like Dragon issue #2, etc.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:54 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:How much are loose minis usually worth?

If you get the right one could be worth $0.50 - $85.00 each.

Check the bottom of the miniature for stamps, TSR named characters are generally worth the most overall but certain Citadel Miniatures are worth loads.  It is a big job sorting through 800 though.

Good luck

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 65 of 111123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 109110111