Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 65 of 111123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:25 pm 

hey marl

i think that was a pretty decent price for that. as mentioned, take out B1-9 and the AC5 sheets, you got a pretty decent lot imo.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:21 pm 

Marlith wrote:Finally got this....hate the delay when a check needs to be used.

I am having a case of buyers remorse. Was the price too high for what was included?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

A bargain. It was on my watch list, but I somehow missed the deadline.
If it helps, I would have sniped around $110.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:25 pm 

But it was a labor of love.  :wink:

I thought that the basic idea behind D3 was brilliant. I still like it. However, I can never get my players to warm up to the idea of an evil city where good guys are outlaws. I think they miss the feeling of having a safe have to run home to. They never want to linger in the hog trough of adventure that is the Vault of the Drow.  8)

You know, I have not read that module since I ran it. Time to take it out of its armor and dosome late night reading.  

Note: The entire party was killed in the vault, including my character (was being used as an npc). The epic quest ended in a haze of gore and flame...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 pm 

I have never used D3 as intended. I like to use it as a place Wizards go to for certain items of lore, or players pass through on their way somewhere else. They would hang out in the city and get involved in some turf war or what-not, but that's about it. I never met players who wanted that type of story line. Maybe because they all lean towards the selfish/evil side... :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:27 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738599126

The seller neglected to mention that 2 of the sets(Wrath of Immortals & Astromundi Cluster) were still in shrink. :)  I guess I dont have to pay $175 to get shrinked WoI off of Creep after all. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8738599126

The seller neglected to mention that 2 of the sets(Wrath of Immortals & Astromundi Cluster) were still in shrink. :) I guess I dont have to pay $175 to get shrinked WoI off of Creep after all. :P

wow what a bargain!

sheesh i need to spend more time searching :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:57 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I remember one party I was dming walking down one of the thoroughfares and running into a nycadaemon. One of the tank fighters refused to move, and a huge melee ensued. Half of them got arrested, and the others escaped. They did eventually free the prisoners.
I didn't penalize the players, since the fighter was acting totally in character. In fact, I might have penalized him if he meekly stepped aside.
I think the general idea of the the GDQ series is anonymity and stealth. That is not to say that you can't kick giant ass occasionally. But unless the party is overly powerful, there are just too many threats to make it all the way thru by force. At least, there should be if properly DMed.

So long as the party does not attack drow nobles directly, they should be able to blend into the drow city scene...murdering local denizens along the way.

My players ran into all kinds of comical and deadly trouble in the Vault.
:lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:01 am 

MShipley88 wrote:
  So long as the party does not attack drow nobles directly, they should be able to blend into the drow city scene...murdering local denizens along the way.

My players ran into all kinds of comical and deadly trouble in the Vault.
:lol:

When my original party members went into D3, I stressed that in the environs of the Vault they could roam rather freely unless they made a spectacle of themselves...
  Of course, the first thing they did was kill everything in sight while screaming "Where is that bitch Eclavdra? We are going to KILL THAT DROW WHORE!!!"  While attacking every noble house around...oh well    8O
    Then again, the party included three dwarven fighters and two elven ftr/mages that had a score to settle (at the end of G3, Eclavdra and her minions had beaten the hell out of them and humiliated them before fleeing into the underdark) so they weren't rational when it came to Drow.  They finally bit off more than they could chew when they attacked one of the drow schools and had to run like ladies to hide in one of the mushroom forests after getting spanked. Luckily, before they killed themselves (and to preserve the campaign) I had a rival house send a representative who pointed them the way to Eclavdra's domicle with the blessings of the rest of the Vault (remember, Eclavdra and company worshipped the Elder Elemental God and  weren't liked by the spider loving regular Drow).  So the players planned and executed a full scale assault that was a joy to run, the battle must have lasted 8 hours in real time (the better part of an entire weekend as I remember).  It finally ended with Eclavdra getting hacked into bloody chunks, then of course after resting up the boys decided to attack the Fane just for the hell of it (there's gratitude for you...) Lots of bang for the buck in good old D3. :) I still smile when I remember the dwarves wandering around hacking at (relatively) innocent drow screaming for Eclavdra's head ("I don't know any Eclavdra...I'm just a simple merchant....YAAAAAGH!")

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:16 am 

*Points at the post above*

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That must have been a fun group, Mike.  

My players were so frightened by the time they reached the Vault that they spent lots of time hiding in the mushroom forest and arguing about what to do.  

They finally went into the Drow city, where they watched in derision as one very unpopular Lawful Good cleric was charmed and taken away by a succubus.

They fought a Nycadaemon (Mezzodaemon?  Which one was tougher?) and got into all kinds of unintended trouble.

I distinctly remember one high level fighter-magic user who was being held in the House Eilservs dungeon.  He assumed that he was far underground and decided to dimension door 300' up at a right angle.  The other characters were watching the estate, trying to rescue the mage, when they saw him appear up in the air and plummet to his death.     :lol:

By the time the characters got to the Fane they were jaded and edgy.  They wiped out Lolth's material form in a battle which left everyone in the party insane, berzerk or comotose.  They went on to kill Lolth in Queen of the Spiderweb Pits.  She is still considered dead in my campaign, to this day...gone these 25 years passed!  God I'm old.   :?

Mark

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:33 am 

MShipley88 wrote: *Points at the post above*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That must have been a fun group, Mike.

My players were so frightened by the time they reached the Vault that they spent lots of time hiding in the mushroom forest and arguing about what to do.

They finally went into the Drow city, where they watched in derision as one very unpopular Lawful Good cleric was charmed and taken away by a succubus.

They fought a Nycadaemon (Mezzodaemon? Which one was tougher?) and got into all kinds of unintended trouble.

I distinctly remember one high level fighter-magic user who was being held in the House Eilservs dungeon. He assumed that he was far underground and decided to dimension door 300' up at a right angle. The other characters were watching the estate, trying to rescue the mage, when they saw him appear up in the air and plummet to his death.   :lol:

Mark

What a great story!  Getting around the Vault is so open ended that there are literaly dozens of directions the story can take once they reach it. The more intelligent members of my party (two human clerics, a female NPC Illusionist, and a elven thief) thought up some great strategies, and at one point captured a drow merchant and basically cowed him into helping them, they used his pack lizards and goods to front themselves as a merchant group. The illusionist cast a spell and made it look like the elven ftr/mages and dwarven fighters were "prisoners", the human all dressed up as drow and were able to explore quite a bit, using Tongues and various spells to make the party look at home in the Vault.  However, the perfect disguise was always spoiled when the Dwarven fighter with the 7 INt would forget he was supposed to be pretending to be a prisoner and start beserkly hacking with his axe at any female drow (they all looked like Eclavdra to him), or the elven ftr mage Gandolin who was overly fond of fire spells (his entire roster of 3rd level mage spells was Fireball) would try to toast a Drow warparty even though they had magic resistance and often wouldn't be hurt.  This led to interparty squablles among the dwarves and elves about who could kill the most drow, and sometimes the arguing would get so annoying that the player with the thief (he also had a half orc fighter) would make his characters wander off for his own adventures as the others would continue bickering, no surprise his thief finished the GDQ series as the highest level character, he was always stealing the best treasure under the rest of the party's noses as they fought all day long with each other.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:54 am 

...he was always stealing the best treasure under the rest of the party's noses as they fought all day long with each other.

Now that's a smart player :!:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:56 am 

Veteran Dungeon Masters Guide

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Lot | eBay

Ouch!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:12 pm 

did alot of travelling  over the holidays, visiting family in various cities.  not too much luck (except for a SW GAZ12 i was happy to find) until long island a couple days before coming home.  stopped by another game store, didn't see much, but figured i'd ask about old stuff.  the owner responded "yeah, i have some of that, but it's all the way in the basement, it would take like an hour to get." to which i responded "that's ok, i'll be back in an hour, you go get it."   came back an hour later and he had some stuff layed out.  i asked if he'd brought it all.  "most of it" he said, "there's not too much left down there".  i said "ok, i'll go looking through this, you go get the rest."  he was sweating and breathing heavy and not too happy, but i was busy looking through the piles and didn't care.  end result:

Gazetter Dawn of the Emperors box
Ruins of Undermountain II (SW)
FMA-2 Endless Armies
OA5 Mad Monkey vs Dragon Claw
OA6 Ronin Challenge
Cleric's Challenge II
Children of the Night The Created
Greyhawk The Scarlet Brotherhood
A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
1984:  AD&D2 Accessory Player Character Records Sheets
AC2 Combat Shield & Mini Adventure (adventure is missing)
AC9 Creature Catalogue
AC10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants
B1 In Search of the Unknown (mono)
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
B4 The Lost City
B5 Horror on the Hill
B5 Horror on the Hill
B6 The Veiled Society
B7 Rahasia
B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond
C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness
C4 To Find a King
CM2 Death's Ride
CM6 Where Chaos Reigns
CM8 The Endless Stair
I4 Oasis of the White Palm
I8 Ravager of Time
M1 Into the Maelstrom
M3 Twilight Calling (signed by Elmore)
N2 The Forest Oracle
O1 The Gem and the Staff
O2 Blade of Vengence
S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
T1 The Village of Hommlet (mono)
WG6 Isle of the Ape
X3 Curse of Xanathon
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads
X9 The Savage Coast
X11 Saga of the Shadow Lord
X12 Skarda's Mirror
Xsolo Lathan's Gold
XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain
Dragon Mags 99, 114, 132, 144, 148, 148, 151, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 155, 155, 158, 160, 162, 163, 165, 166, 166, 167, 167, 168, 168, 169, 170, 171, 171, 172, 172, 173, 174, 174, 175, 175, 176, 179, 180, 180, 181, 181, 182, 183, 184, 184, 185, 185, 186, 198, 216, 217, 219, 219, 244

and for this stack i walked out with i paid a total of $115.  not a bad deal, don't think i'll have that luck anytime again soon...

-dave

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:01 pm 

super deal that dave!

goes up there around the bclarkie super-flukey type of finds :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:19 pm 

dsaunders wrote:did alot of travelling over the holidays, visiting family in various cities. not too much luck (except for a SW GAZ12 i was happy to find) until long island a couple days before coming home.

What place on Long Island was this?  I didn't think there was anyplace left... and since you've already cleaned it out there's no harm in sharing now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:44 pm 

the place was called Monkey Head Games, near Centereach.  he had a couple stacks of old modules left, but i think i took the best  :wink:  let me know if you find anything interesting that i missed.

-dave

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:57 am 

I just had to send out a  :) Woo Hoo :)  to dsaunders for his dragon horde score!  Nice work.   8)

Mark

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:18 pm 

A freebie I picked up in passing...

1977 Character Record Sheets
per Page Not Found

Side-tearing (red-colored gum) pad: 24 sheets in the block (those still minty) plus 3 sheets detatched and cover sheet, slightly crumpled (all in blue). £1.75 Games Centre (London & Kingston-upon-Thames) sticker on the back of the pad.
Looks "all-original", so possibly interesting in the context of that other 27 sheet side-tearing pad (in orange) which was a UK "find"?

Any thoughts, please?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 65 of 111123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 109110111