Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 64 of 111123 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:19 pm 

Yea I actually did get it (R1) on ebay.  I think it helped that there was a major typo in the title on the listing.  I happened upon it by mistake.  Hopefully I'll get the other three at some point.  I'm really picky on the condition of my collectibles so it might take awhile but I'm patient.

That is great about the coffee stains.  I've seen may a module coke stains or something else.  With me it was always Taco Bell.....mmmmmmm 10 pack of tacos.....those were the days...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:33 pm 

macordani wrote:That is great about the coffee stains. I've seen may a module coke stains or something else. With me it was always Taco Bell.....mmmmmmm 10 pack of tacos.....those were the days...

*has a browse to see where those might fit on the Grading convention*
Page Not Found

*looks up to check*. Was that eating with the mod, or eating off it? :D

=
Hmm... definitely a good pick up on that R1. Was that miswoven as "To the Aid of Flax" or similar, then?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:20 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*has a browse to see where those might fit on the Grading convention*

The grading convention is based on the amount of elemental damage a typical D&D item can absorb before an otherwise mint item's maximum grade is affected.  All items can continue to degrade below these values, of course.  Please see the chart below for reference.

Maximum Condition based on Elemental Damage
vaccum* = M
air** = VG
water/ice/steam = G
earth/smoke/salt/minerals*** = FR
fire/lightning/magma = PR

* Quasi-elemental vacuum exposure can add up to 50% to value, as a vacuum preserves even better than SW.  This is not to be confused with vacuum cleaner exposure, which usually drops the condition to PR.
** This includes "mustiness".
*** Coke, coffee and other acid damage fall into this category as well.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:08 am 

I recently obtained a Tome of Magic that was bound backwards, and upside down.   Is this a relatively common error or a rarity?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:35 am 

No, that is just the way 2nd Ed is....

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:01 am 

RWilson wrote:No, that is just the way 2nd Ed is....

*snap!*

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:02 am 

macordani wrote: I think it helped that there was a major typo in the title on the listing.

"To the Aid of Fax", perhaps?  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:42 am 

RWilson wrote:No, that is just the way 2nd Ed is....

:P

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:39 am 

NetRodent wrote:I recently obtained a Tome of Magic that was bound backwards, and upside down.  Is this a relatively common error or a rarity?

I have an OA like that.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:26 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
macordani wrote:Not much but I did just win a mono Tomb of Horrors in NM shape for $26. A little more than I wanted to spend but I've been trying to find a good copy for so long and many of them are beat up more than I would like. I also wasn't willing to pay $200+ for a shrinkwrapped one! 8O

Tomb of Horrors is often in really terrible shape. I'm beginning to think this is the sign of a good module. :)

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that the D3 Vault of the Drow mono is nearly always horribly coffee-stained? I think people tended to play this one in the middle of the night or something...

Vault of the Drow was so large in scope that it was bound to get damaged during play.  It was possible for the players to loaf around the Vault, murdering evil people for profit, for long periods of time.   8O

Shrine of the Koa Toans got an entirely different treatment.  It was possible for the player characters to just pay a toll and go right through the area...possible, but not likely.  My players picked a fight at the gate and I had all of the Koa Toans in the module description organized in units to wave attack them.  For instance, one high level fighter/magic-user went away from the party to summon a water elemental out of one of the huge pools.  He got swarmed down by 200 berzerk (and unarmed) Koa Toan pilgrims.    :P

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:05 pm 

Vault of the Drow was so large in scope that it was bound to get damaged during play.  It was possible for the players to loaf around the Vault, murdering evil people for profit, for long periods of time.    

Also, the DM was required to do tons of work to make D3 work. Afterall, there are only a relative small handful of actual encounters that are prepared in the module.

We played it back in 79 or 80 and at the time we alternated DMs throughout the series, starting with G1. Our group had 8 regular players and we thought it wouldn't be fair for one guy to get stuck paying for them all and not being able to play. So we each bought one module and went from there. We swore an oath not to read our module until we finished playing one prior. I got pegged for D3. I worked on that damn thing for hours and hours. I even took it on summer vacation and to add encounters.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:34 am 

bbarsh wrote:
 Vault of the Drow was so large in scope that it was bound to get damaged during play. It was possible for the players to loaf around the Vault, murdering evil people for profit, for long periods of time.  

Also, the DM was required to do tons of work to make D3 work. Afterall, there are only a relative small handful of actual encounters that are prepared in the module.

We played it back in 79 or 80 and at the time we alternated DMs throughout the series, starting with G1. Our group had 8 regular players and we thought it wouldn't be fair for one guy to get stuck paying for them all and not being able to play. So we each bought one module and went from there. We swore an oath not to read our module until we finished playing one prior. I got pegged for D3. I worked on that damn thing for hours and hours. I even took it on summer vacation and to add encounters.

But it was a labor of love.   :wink:

I thought that the basic idea behind D3 was brilliant.  I still like it.  However, I can never get my players to warm up to the idea of an evil city where good guys are outlaws.  I think they miss the feeling of having a safe have to run home to.  They never want to linger in the hog trough of adventure that is the Vault of the Drow.   8)

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:31 am 

Nice win, David.  I had a snipe in place all week, but cancelled at the end.  You got them for a good price.

eBay.com Item Bid History

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:27 am 

MShipley88 wrote:   I thought that the basic idea behind D3 was brilliant. I still like it. However, I can never get my players to warm up to the idea of an evil city where good guys are outlaws. I think they miss the feeling of having a safe have to run home to. They never want to linger in the hog trough of adventure that is the Vault of the Drow.  8)

Mark

i spent almost a week planning D3 when i first DM'd it - tho whole party almost perished there, it was a real tough slog. they got massacred in the pyramid room....those death lances played havoc on the fighter and the poor paladin (who lost 6 levels) - it does indeed take a lot of work to juggle it around enough to make it work tho. altho the party were totally decimated, they did manage to complete the module and rally enough (with reinforcements) to attempt the demonweb (but all perished there bar 1)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:55 am 

I remember one party I was dming walking down one of the thoroughfares and running into a nycadaemon. One of the tank fighters refused to move, and a huge melee ensued. Half of them got arrested, and the others escaped. They did eventually free the prisoners.
I didn't penalize the players, since the fighter was acting totally in character. In fact, I might have penalized him if he meekly stepped aside.
I think the general idea of the the GDQ series is anonymity and stealth. That is not to say that you can't kick giant ass occasionally. But unless the party is overly powerful, there are just too many threats to make it all the way thru by force. At least, there should be if properly DMed.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:39 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I think the general idea of the the GDQ series is anonymity and stealth. That is not to say that you can't kick giant ass occasionally. But unless the party is overly powerful, there are just too many threats to make it all the way thru by force. At least, there should be if properly DMed.

i agree. if you read the series correctly, it does kinda "hint" that the gist of the idea is to use stealth rather than brute force. if you DM the G series properly, the party hasnt a hope in hell. it kinda works the same as U3. giants might not be genius' but they aint totally stupid. and of course drow are a lot more intelligent than that, so there should be no way you can take them apart bit by bit.

my attitude to them is if you DM them right, the players should be penalised at every opportunity if their efforts are not of a quick stealthy nature.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 pm 

Finally got this....hate the delay when a check needs to be used.

I am having a case of buyers remorse. Was the price too high for what was included?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:14 pm 

Marlith wrote:
I am having a case of buyers remorse. Was the price too high for what was included?

Between the B1-9 and the AC5 sheets those are worth about the $$ you paid so the rest is icing on the cake, IMHO of course.   :D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 64 of 111123 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 109110111