Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:25 pm 

Marlith wrote:Had not seen this one before. Was wondering about the price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8737519181

You were the high bidder? If so, thank you for outbidding me  :D

I think the price you won for is pretty good for anything that old. I only bid on it because it seemed low at $5...I put in a bid just over $10, but then kind of regretted it because I bought several things last week.

This was the first time I ever searched for it on Ebay so I have no idea what they normally go for.

Once you get it, can you post a description of the interior artwork (if any)?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:28 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:
Marlith wrote:Had not seen this one before. Was wondering about the price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8737519181

You were the high bidder? If so, thank you for outbidding me :D

I think the price you won for is pretty good for anything that old. I only bid on it because it seemed low at $5...I put in a bid just over $10, but then kind of regretted it because I bought several things last week.

This was the first time I ever searched for it on Ebay so I have no idea what they normally go for.

Once you get it, can you post a description of the interior artwork (if any)?

I was glad to get it that cheap. I had lost out on the Book of Monsters and Knights of the Round Table about 10 minutes earlier. I was darn sure going to win one of the three. I had a much inflated snip on it  :roll:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:47 pm 

Looking back at page 38 (!) of this thread, harami won Star Probe and Star Empires for $18:

post-30832.html&lighter=star+probe+empires#30832

One question; the auction that you won says "Only the booklet is being auctioned". Is there more to the complete game?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:15 pm 

Damn!  The end of this auction snuck up on me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:40 am 

This is definitely a fun find: while sorting through a box of AD&D 1st edition hardback rulebooks tonight, I was stacking a set of Wilderness Survival Guides (these things seem to multiply when you leave them alone) when a Mint condition Wild Things fell out of one!  It must have been stuck inside the cover of one of these for years.  Who knows what is lurking out there, now I'm going to have to dig through all my Mystara and Basic D&D box sets looking for a Jade Hare...
  BTW, has anyone else noticed the descriptive text for Wild Things on the Acaeum Index is completely wrong?

Wild Things is not truly a module, but more of a Monster Manual supplement.  It features the creatures of the outdoor environment detailed in the accompanying Wilderness Survival Guide.

This is incorrect.  Wild Things contains 8 scenarios in the style of the 1st and 2nd edition Book of Lairs supplements, short adventures....some are several pages long.  The supplement is in absolutely no way a Monster Manual supplement; to top it off none of the monsters used as opponents are anything new (Red and White Dragons, Orcs, Trolls, etc).  I don't know how this got confused with a MM supplement at all; it's identical to the format and content of Dark And Hidden Ways (found in the DSG).

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:03 am 

Badmike wrote:This is definitely a fun find: while sorting through a box of AD&D 1st edition hardback rulebooks tonight, I was stacking a set of Wilderness Survival Guides (these things seem to multiply when you leave them alone) when a Mint condition Wild Things fell out of one! It must have been stuck inside the cover of one of these for years. Who knows what is lurking out there, now I'm going to have to dig through all my Mystara and Basic D&D box sets looking for a Jade Hare...
 BTW, has anyone else noticed the descriptive text for Wild Things on the Acaeum Index is completely wrong?

Wild Things is not truly a module, but more of a Monster Manual supplement. It features the creatures of the outdoor environment detailed in the accompanying Wilderness Survival Guide.

This is incorrect. Wild Things contains 8 scenarios in the style of the 1st and 2nd edition Book of Lairs supplements, short adventures....some are several pages long. The supplement is in absolutely no way a Monster Manual supplement; to top it off none of the monsters used as opponents are anything new (Red and White Dragons, Orcs, Trolls, etc). I don't know how this got confused with a MM supplement at all; it's identical to the format and content of Dark And Hidden Ways (found in the DSG).

Mike B.

BTW, something interesting I've never noticed before about Wild Things.  There is one scenario written by Grant Boucher with a Red Dragon.  It appears like it was a Dungeon Magazine adventure that was published here instead of Dungeon.  First, it is the only contribution with a title (Fire Mountain), and the format is very much like the Dungeon Magazine format.  Besides being the only adventure with a title, it is set up differently, is the longest adventure (8 pages), and has boxed text to be read by the DM to the party in each area like a typical adventure of the period.   I wonder if TSR needed "space filler" and pulled this off the Dungeon submission stack. Does anyone have a Dark and Hidden Ways handy to see if there is a similar scenario within?

Mike B.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:06 am 

OCE with full compliment of supplements and S&S....BIN at one time was $199.....

Ad&d Box Set | eBay

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:22 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Looking back at page 38 (!) of this thread, harami won Star Probe and Star Empires for $18:

post-30832.html&lighter=star+probe+empires#30832

One question; the auction that you won says "Only the booklet is being auctioned". Is there more to the complete game?

I believe Star Probe was sold originally in a ziplock bag, with a large map of a solar system? galaxy? universe?...  a huge number of stars/planets, anyway.

$10 is a good price for the book I think - like Marlith I bid on a few of abnaric's auctions, just on the principle that items shouldn't go that cheaply (plus I've dealt with Richard (abnaric) before and he's a nice bloke). Star Probe, Book of Monsters, Knights of the Round Table were all languishing about 10 hours before the auction end, so I threw in some bids to either win them cheaply, or make sure they went for at least some money by the end. I would have liked to win the Book of Monsters though, I should have bid a little more on that -  but I'm sure another will be along at some stage....

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:12 pm 

Not an eBay find but I just wanted to share my joy.

Needed to pick up a Half Price Books gift card for my mother and on a lark I went to the one where I have had the least luck in finding any good RPG materials (so as to try and not spend any more money on myself this Christmas). So I get there and wander back to the Games & Humor section, because even though I don't want to you just have to....you all know how it is, and what do I find: 8O

GDQ1-7
A1-4
Deva Spark (SW)
Labyrinth of Maddnes (SW)
Book of Lairs
Book of Lairs 2
I13 Adventure Pack 1
WGR2
Hall of Heroes

All for $4.98 each... :D

It is a sad commentary on me though because in the midst of this cool find I was actually upset there was not a T1-4 or WGR1 there as well. On the good side I did remember to get the Gift Card  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:16 pm 

Marlith wrote:All for $4.98 each... :D

It is a sad commentary on me though because in the midst of this cool find I was actually upset there was not a T1-4 or WGR1 there as well. On the good side I did remember to get the Gift Card :wink:

damn quality heist there :)

at least  you DID remember what you went for :D

there would have been no chance whatsoever of me doing that hehehe :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:18 am 

Not much but I did just win a mono Tomb of Horrors in NM shape for $26.  A little more than I wanted to spend but I've been trying to find a good copy for so long and many of them are beat up more than I would like.  I also wasn't willing to pay $200+ for a shrinkwrapped one!   8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:22 am 

macordani wrote:Not much but I did just win a mono Tomb of Horrors in NM shape for $26. A little more than I wanted to spend but I've been trying to find a good copy for so long and many of them are beat up more than I would like. I also wasn't willing to pay $200+ for a shrinkwrapped one!  8O

Tomb of Horrors is often in really terrible shape.  I'm beginning to think this is the sign of a good module. :)

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that the D3 Vault of the Drow mono is nearly always horribly coffee-stained?  I think people tended to play this one in the middle of the night or something...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:52 am 

I've noticed that D3 is usually pretty thrashed, as is Q1. My theory is that the series is so addictive people tend to play it thru, and by the time they get to the last 2 they are giddy.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:53 am 

macordani wrote:Not much but I did just win a mono Tomb of Horrors in NM shape for $26. A little more than I wanted to spend but I've been trying to find a good copy for so long and many of them are beat up more than I would like. I also wasn't willing to pay $200+ for a shrinkwrapped one! 8O

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that! Well, not compared with the valuation team who have to decide what to do with those freaky prices ;)
$26 sounds relatively sane, regardless of the auction history.

(Did you pick up that R1 on eBay or not? Would've been about the time the series almost dropped to "sensible" prices).

deimos3428 wrote:Tomb of Horrors is often in really terrible shape. I'm beginning to think this is the sign of a good module. :)

Agree with that, Deimos! Having a (hidden) cut-up illustration book adds to the fun, too ;)

deimos3428 wrote:Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that the D3 Vault of the Drow mono is nearly always horribly coffee-stained? I think people tended to play this one in the middle of the night or something...

Heh, heh... Interesting theory :)
Can't recall any random encounters in the Underdark where the PCs got a brief whiff of java, though...

Many long night-time sessions spent down there, no doubt.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:19 pm 

Yea I actually did get it (R1) on ebay.  I think it helped that there was a major typo in the title on the listing.  I happened upon it by mistake.  Hopefully I'll get the other three at some point.  I'm really picky on the condition of my collectibles so it might take awhile but I'm patient.

That is great about the coffee stains.  I've seen may a module coke stains or something else.  With me it was always Taco Bell.....mmmmmmm 10 pack of tacos.....those were the days...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:33 pm 

macordani wrote:That is great about the coffee stains. I've seen may a module coke stains or something else. With me it was always Taco Bell.....mmmmmmm 10 pack of tacos.....those were the days...

*has a browse to see where those might fit on the Grading convention*
Page Not Found

*looks up to check*. Was that eating with the mod, or eating off it? :D

=
Hmm... definitely a good pick up on that R1. Was that miswoven as "To the Aid of Flax" or similar, then?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:20 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*has a browse to see where those might fit on the Grading convention*

The grading convention is based on the amount of elemental damage a typical D&D item can absorb before an otherwise mint item's maximum grade is affected.  All items can continue to degrade below these values, of course.  Please see the chart below for reference.

Maximum Condition based on Elemental Damage
vaccum* = M
air** = VG
water/ice/steam = G
earth/smoke/salt/minerals*** = FR
fire/lightning/magma = PR

* Quasi-elemental vacuum exposure can add up to 50% to value, as a vacuum preserves even better than SW.  This is not to be confused with vacuum cleaner exposure, which usually drops the condition to PR.
** This includes "mustiness".
*** Coke, coffee and other acid damage fall into this category as well.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:08 am 

I recently obtained a Tome of Magic that was bound backwards, and upside down.   Is this a relatively common error or a rarity?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111