Not-so-Recent Fun Finds
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:49 am 

Thought I'd share some joy....

I went to a local game shop that I frequent and on the counter was a stack of Dragon's that the store owner had just bought for 5 bucks.  There were about 50 of them.  I said I'd be interested in the lot and he knows I collect Dragons and old D&D stuff.  He sold it to me for 10 bucks.

Now, the Dragons started at 35 and went through about 150.. it was pretty spotty but that's a nice find... all in all about 50 good mags!

BUT, the best part was in the middle of the stack was a NM copy of IUZ The EVIL.  Okay, it's not 'up the garden path' but that's a pretty sweet surprise!

Then the other day, used book store diving... I came across The Complete Book of Necromancers for 5 bucks!

WOOT!

Just goes to show that there are some finds still out there...but I admit it is getting ALOT TOUGHER.  Mostly because I have a really god collection now so most stuff I don't need (of the easy to get stuff) but also because there are more collectors (I think) and the stuff is just getting tossed or forgotten by now!

One last note... in 2 months, it'll be spring here in NorCal... YARD SALE SEASON!  I can spot a stack of modules from a block away and can pick out a d8 mixed in with a marble collection at 50 yards.  My favorite time of year to be a collector!

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:04 pm 

I've had a couple good finds at used book stores and gaming stores in the last few months.  I found the Ruins of Undermountain and Ruins of Undermountain II box sets, complete, for $12 each.  One at a gaming store, the other at used book store.  I found The Temple of Elemental Evil, first printing, for $6 at a gaming store.  I bought Iuz the Evil and City of Skulls there for the same price.  my favorite recent buy has been Dungeon #2 and Dungeon #3, for $3 each.  I actually found those at half.com.  i also got lucky with the auction below.  nothing special, but combined at the price i thought it was a pretty good deal.

-dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 44112&rd=1

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:24 pm 

JonOakes wrote:Thought I'd share some joy....

.....because I have a really god collection now so most stuff I don't need ...

-Jon

Ok, now that's just plain boasting;)

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:52 pm 

Wha?  I thought one of the main reasons to collect this stuff was for the boasting! :)

Besides...

I meant GOOD collection.. I meant GOOD... not 'god' collection.. That WOULD be boasting.

But, hey man.. I've been doing this for 4 years. I have two closets floor to ceiling of 'stuff'.  And STILL don't have some of the 'gems'.  It's just that ebay lots of A1-4,G1-3, S1-4 and a smattering of Gazeteers just don't excite me any more... ( Unless they're in German or something...).

I've even started thinking about original art.... but man.. some of those pieces cost as much as my collection of modules!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:54 am 

JonOakes wrote:Besides...

I meant GOOD collection.. I meant GOOD... not 'god' collection.. That WOULD be boasting.

I know you ment that, but then, my post would not be as funny :lol:
I have abount 100 book archive boxes full, it takes over an entire room, and getting stuff out is a bitch (unless its on top)...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:59 am 

JonOakes wrote:Thought I'd share some joy....

Sounds great Jon!  Where were you making these wondrous finds, eh? :D

Also, you planning to hit DunDraCon next month?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:13 am 

Don't have to tell me what a pain the sheer volume of a collection can be.  I just had to pack everything of mine up because I'm moving this coming weekend...  I tell you what, if there is anything to make you reconsider collecting, its lugging a few dozen boxes of your collection up and down a few flights of stairs for the better part of a day.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:53 am 

Cernunnos wrote:I just had to pack everything of mine up because I'm moving this coming weekend....

LOL, I just moved myself, had the whole collection in storage, the removalist guys thought it would be an easy job, everything all packed up and ready to go, easy huh... 100 boxes later they wern't laughing, I was, some of the suckers are HEAVY!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:32 pm 

I'll be at Dundracon... Should we have an Acaeum meet on Saturday?

Not to trade per se... who wants to lug stuff TO a CON... it's for lugging stuff HOME From! :)

I may get roped into helping run a tournament of some kind.... I tend to get volunteered a lot...

But, I have no plans to run any games myself... just see the sites and hopefully jump in on a few pick up games and hit the dealers room and flea market.

If you wanted to get together... any suggestions on Time/Place?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:19 pm 

I haven't attended DunDraCon before, Jon, so I don't know the site at all.  If you'll be around in the evenings this week, how about I give you a ring to talk about it?  

We may be putting on a Greyhawk seminar there, too, but I don't know if that's going to work out or not yet....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:13 pm 

Just out of curiosity, as I am really quite bush league in terms of collection size (about 200 book items) what is in those 100+ boxes? I mean, that is a TON of stuff by any collection standards, be it guns or stamps! Do you guys collect multiple copies as you find them? I know it seems rather obvious but those are staggering figures to me. Anyway, hopefully this doesn't dislodge the thread too seriously- RRW  8O  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:38 pm 

Yeah, 100 boxes is a lot... I suspect there are dupes there as well as NON-TSR stuff.  When you get to small publishers, not only are there some fun gems to be found but the volume is HUUUUUGE.

Then there's the magazines, Dragon, Dungeon, Shadis, White Dwarf (early ones at least) and other related items.... The various hardback source books, the box sets, the modules, the various printings and then there's your 'trade stock' that you keep around to swap stuff for.

Then there's the various miniatures catalogs, promo catalogs, TSR catalogs, game-related comics, comic-related games, probably some miniatures in boxes.... some not.  Dice.  Notes from your last 3 campaigns. Notes from the last 3 campaigns that you found in a collection you bought from someone you don't even know but you keep anyway because it looked like a fun crawl.  Character sheets blank and filled in.  Books about castles, armor, mythical beasts that aren't game books but fit in the box and you bought them because they were cool and cheap to buy.  A few National Geographics with pictures of treasure or nice scenes for flavor text.  An empty and flattened Ritz Cracker box with a hastily scrawled map of the first few rooms of B1- In Search of the Unknown that you can't bear to throw away because it's a map you made before you knew that they sold graph paper at the office-supply store or that 'mapping' was an important part of the game.  Your friend's D&D books who he left at your house when he went to college and hasn't been back to pick them up yet... even though he left for College in 1983..  At least a few professionally drawn 'portraits' of your characters that you got at a con.  Oh yeah, Con Flyers, Con Programs, Con souveniers, Napkins of the restaurant where you ate over-priced cheese pizza and planned the retaking of the gatehouse in T1- The Village of Homlett.  Flyers for games that you picked up at the game shop that you never saw make it to print.  Dice.  Then there's the printouts of stuff you've downloaded, old checklists of your collection, maps for home-brew worlds,monsters,adventures you never played in, posts you found from (Gary Gygax, Monte Cook, Arneson, Garfield, Moore, Greenwood etc..) which you thought needed to be preserved in print for posterity and last but not least, lists of things you have yet to acquire and plan to look for at the next Con/Flea market/Ebay run...  And that's just D&D... If you want to know about my Avalon Hill collection or Car Wars Collection or Warhammer Collection we'll have to go to another forum. :)

Did I miss anything guys?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:15 pm 

A fully confirmed and committed packrat if ever I saw one!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:00 am 

Don't know if this qualifies for fun finds, but I picked up Dragon #1-70, Strategic Review 1-7, Alarums and Excursions #1-67, and 50 RPG items I haven't had time to go thru for $450. All NM. The depressing part is that the lady selling them was doing so because they were her son's, who passed away. She knew they were worth more, but when I offered her more, she refused. She basically just wanted them gone.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:15 pm 

Wow.. That's really a bittersweet story.  Poor lady!  

But that's a really good find.  Enjoy them, play a game in his honor and start it with a reading of 'The Empty Chair'.

404 Not Found

And your karma debt will be appeased.

BTW, I collect Dragons so if you have any dupes in the low range you want to trade or sell, please let me know!

How did you find it?  Just walking through your neighborhood or see an ad?  I always wonder about stuff like this.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:41 am 

Alarums and Excursions #1-67,

Now that's a find!  I'd love to get my grimy paws on early A&E issues, along with other very early fanzine/APA stuff....

Jon---I'll be free Friday night, since Heather's off to visit her family for 9 days; will you be free then?  If not, I can ping you on Sunday (I game in Oakland on Saturday).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:46 pm 

what is in those 100+ boxes? I mean, that is a TON of stuff by any collection

OK not all of em are RPG stuff (prob about half), other stuff is mostly my novel collection, which I never get time to read much anymore, have to wait till I retire....

grodog wrote:
Alarums and Excursions #1-67,

Now that's a find!  I'd love to get my grimy paws on early A&E issues, along with other very early fanzine/APA stuff....

DITO!!! Haven't started on A&E yet, but they are on the list thats for sure...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:15 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3170035293

This is an absurdly low price, I think.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111