GenCon Indy 2008
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:36 pm 

stratochamp wrote:thanks not actually us, bracton though they do look surprisingly like us (i had no idea my hairline had shrunk that far in the back :-)  ). but no, i don't own a blue backpack nor could ever carry any precious gaming items in a plastic bag.... wait a minute, have you been gaming behind my back with my doppleganger?

OK, agreed, you'd never put a roleplaying item in a plastic bag.  And, now that I look more closely, your doppelganger is shorter than mine, which we know isn't the case in real life.  But then it sure looks like someone decided to go to Gencon in costume as . . . US!?!?   8O  8O  8O

That's lack of imagination, if you ask me.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 am 

Finally, my Gencon photos (4.5 months late):

Smarmy (Ryan), King, Me and Adder (Bendon).  Why is John's face all blurry????

John drunkenly bragging to Ryan about his half elven ranger at the Acaeum dinner....

Killjoy and daughter

Sas, Al and Martin (Prufrock).  Al, what's in that large empty glass???  Looks like he drank it all whatever it was.

Tim Kask holding court, I think that's Contrarian to the right and Stratochamp in the foreground.

And on the other end of the table, Frank holding down the other end...that's Yaya next to him.

The Bros Burntwire (Shawn and Devon)

The Family Blackmoor...Jeff looks about to explode, shouldn't have gotten seconds on that haggis stew.....

Lawrenson (Malcolm) and wife

Five beers later.."Yeh, man, my half elven ranger frikken KICKS ASS dude...."

Stratochamp showing off the brown box he uses as his pillow at night....

Malcolm's booth at Gencon.  Interestingly, it was probably one of the "lowest tech" booths there, but that led to a lot of traffic because it was one of the few displaying older used D&D stuff, especially the rares (many which no one else at the con had available)

Some of the auction goodies

Bracton deciding which one to overspend on.....

Auction the first night I believe, that's Frank and Tim up there, with 3-4 Dark Towers

The Auction store. It's on the other side of the auction hall and open so you can watch and bid on the auction as you are browsing; you have to wait in line to get in and the limit the number of buyers inside at one time.  Which led to frustrating episodes as we could see them putting out great stuff yet had to wait 10 min in line to get inside...by which time the good stuff was gone.... :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:41 am 

Awesome pics, Mike, thanks for posting.  

Never seen a man with a half-elf ranger PC before...still haven't.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:41 pm 

Badmike wrote:Finally, my Gencon photos (4.5 months late):

[ Image ]

Smarmy (Ryan), King, Me and Adder (Bendon).  Why is John's face all blurry????

Probably because of that "stinking cloud" of yours Mike.  Pretty obvious due to the "Great, now I need to change my underwear" look on your face.  :lol:

By the way, that photo of Blackmoor is priceless.  Either he is getting ready to puke or fly across the table and beat the hell out of someone.

Oh, and Stephen, I am secure enough in my manhood to admit I have a half-elven ranger.  And yes....he does kick ass.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:45 pm 

I was assuming the look on Blackmoor's face had something to do with the fact that his wife's left hand is under the table.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 pm 

Badmike wrote:
[ Image ]

Some of the auction goodies

What's the signed manuscript-looking thingy on the second shelf?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:19 pm 

Gencon 2008 photos Part two:

Brendon attempting the infamous Bacon Cheesburger Breakfast. I'm slobbering just looking at it.  Actually, service and food at the Red Eye was a bit off this year from 2007, maybe they were coasting on their rep....

The Auction hall from the other end.  This must have been in the morning, as it was usually full from 11 am until closing.

"Ha ha, I'm Baby Stratochamp and I'm still in diapers and I already have more brown boxes that you'll ever have...seriously, just kill yourself now"

Acaeum members Rabbit and Dbartman and their kids....

Acaeum members usually staked out territory at the back and held court. It became quite obvious to others that those in this area seemed to win all the major rare items during the auctions..

Frank DMing the Aceaum-only Emphryia game.  

Frank ran the game in a alcove of one of the local hotels...lots of great space to stretch out.  

That's me in the green shirt contributing absolutely nothing.

Everyone thinking....thinking...thinking..(Frank's dungeon was an ass-kicker of a puzzle)

Our team won, the other team lost.  We're #1!!!

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:13 pm 

Fantastic photos Mike ! PDT_Armataz_01_37

The bacon cheeseburger breakfast war great - but why is everything always on the side  :?

So, that's what you're saying in the last photo........I thought you were demonstrating what an elf looks like - just a stick with no shape  :lol:

Yeah, yeah a point win. We sholdn't have killed everything and solved the puzzles  :lol:  :lol:

Absolutely awesome time and if anyone can get to go they definitely should go.

You guys rocked.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:15 pm 

Gencon 2008 photos Part 3:

The infamous "Perlman PHB" awaiting sigs.....

Tim Kask in line to sign the Perlman book.  Wonder what Kosh could get for that book in auction if one of us actually becomes famous????

Badmike....the Book....the Shrew....Gencon...it's all so beautiful, man....

Late Saturday night (or was it Sunday morning?) When only the hardliners were still there.  

We had a lot of room to stretch out as the auction entered the wee hours of Sunday morning....

Brendon (kneeling with cap), Al, me (and shrew), Kingofpain, Ryan and Sas (Al's daughter) right outside the auction hall.  

I have no idea why we are smiling, we all had been in the Tower of Gygax game until 4 am two nights earlier and at the auction which ended at 3 am the night before, and had gotten exactly 8 hours of sleep the entire weekend....

I think Kingofpain has burned that Dallas Cowboys shirt by now....

Al's Tegel Manor game.  The hall we started in Sunday afternoon was for general games, and emptied out after lunch Sunday. Little did we know the reason was they were kicking people out of the convention center at 4 pm (I think we though it would stay open until 7 pm).  As a result we got a visit from a security guard who booted us out in the middle of the game, forcing us across the skywalk into an unused hospitality room at the hotel across the street.

Al gleefully doing something obscene to our characters...

"I'm the DM, mates, so your ass is grass."  "Hey, Al, can you count this high????"

This is where we moved to. Everyone is looking beat to hell due to lack of sleep, Al's revenant kicking our asses, and the general knowledge that pretty much all of us were doomed.  FYI I used the Perlman PHB during the game but it didn't bring me much luck.....

Al's setup...simple yet deadly....

These last few I though might be of general interest, maybe we can start a thread of Acaeum members playing D&D.

Is this the only Acaeum related gaming group that meets regularly?  I know Bracton and Stratochamp game together, anyone else?  That's Kingopain, Johngaunt and Aneoth preparing to start our latest adventure in my Norvik campaign...We started meeting last year and have managed to have about a dozen sessions in two years, not bad considering our schedules.  If I didn't live 25 miles away from everyone we might be able to meet more than once a month.....

My brother, showing up late as usual, rounds out the group....

Setting up my minis within hand reaching distance boths makes it easier for me and freaks out the players as they wonder "Are we really fighting a cloud giant, or did he just place that there to Eff with us?"
(Answer:  Just messing with them, hee hee hee).  That shelf unit also holds mini fridge where we stash the drinks.  I'd love to pimp out the upstairs room to make a D&D paradise but I also wish to stay married....

My setup...loving the laptop, but pencils do have their place.  I try to use the dice rolling program on the core rules program, but half the time I get caught up in the game and end up grabbing a handful of dice to roll (throwing half of them off the table in the process)

My wife very much prefers play here in the upstairs tv room, where we can mess it all up to hell and back and she doesn't have to face it. I like downstairs on the kitchen table with the extra leaf in, that way we are close to the food and have a much larger gaming surface.  So when my wife is home we game upstairs, that way we stay happily married. :?   That sofa is quite comfy....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:13 pm 

Okay, here's my contribution to "The Acaeum Members Gaming Pictures".

"The Lower Sanctum"

The players are my brother, Joe, on the left and my friend, Dan on the right.  I'm the one dreaming of my next masterful blow to the group.

Acaeum member Rabbit_67 (Jim) joins the group in a second campaign.  We alternate the two.

Hard to believe we've been playing pretty regularly since the early 80's!

A lot of good friends have come and gone from the game over the years...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 pm 

those pictures were great mike. thanks for including the one with our son. i only wish we had removed his bib (we stratochamps don't like to discuss our drooling problems) because his shirt said "future gamer produced by gencon mom & dad".

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:18 am 

Thank you for sharing.  I like Mike's last pic with JG's arm curled protectively around his animal companion.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:21 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:Thank you for sharing.  I like Mike's last pic with JG's arm curled protectively around his animal companion.

That's one of JG's mice he keeps talking about.....I wish he would stop feeding them table scraps, they wouldn't grow so big and intimidate the rest of us at the table.....

Mike B.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:34 pm 

Badmike wrote:That's one of JG's mice he keeps talking about.....I wish he would stop feeding them table scraps, they wouldn't grow so big and intimidate the rest of us at the table.....

[Invoking an NPC accent]

I thought it were a shrew, guv'nor!

[/accent]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:40 pm 

Great pictures, Mike.  Glad to see I made it into a few of them.

Be glad you only have to drive 25 miles to game with your group.  That beats the hour I drive to game with DBartman every month - which is infinately better than the 3.5 hours I drove before I moved in September (then it was a once a year journey).  We just gamed this past Saturday and that hour became an hour and 20 minutes considering I made the trip right at the tail end of a snow storm that dumped 9 inches.  I only saw three wrecks and fortunately I wasn't one of them.

Rabbit_67

Kill something, it will make you feel better.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:36 pm 

thanks for the pics guys....great memories for sure :)

DMing that game at GenCon this year is right at the top of my best gaming memories as a DM by far.

and i have YOU guys to thank for that :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:50 pm 

I can't believe 12 years have gone by since the last post to this thread. What great pictures Badmike took! And look at all of those super items we used to take for granted showing up at the auction each year.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:27 pm 

Thanks for resurrecting this.  I can't believe it's been that long either.  We had some good times that year!

PreviousNext