GenCon Indy 2008
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm 

Mars wrote:
Wow that sounds like a lot!  Aren't there any discount airlines between the UK and US?  From Manchester or London to Toronto, Ontario, Canada it is usually about $650 (£325).  My brother has flown with Canadian Affairs about a dozen times over the past couple of years.  If might be worth flying to Toronto then getting a connecting flight to Indy.

Here's a link to Canadian Affair airline:

http://www.canadianaffair.com/

I believe it is more of a charter airline so they might have stricter weight limitations.

My flight for both me and the wife is about $1100 Canadian, not bad really.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:39 pm 

On the right dates, British Airways and Virgin are showing £550 or thereabouts from London to JFK and back again (plus presumably connecting return flights).  You can get the same route £250 or less return, but you have to take your chances on time and dates.  If you are definite about travelling on specific dates it can get expensive.  That is how the airlines make their money...  :roll:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:23 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
I am in Al, let me know what to bring :)

jeff i play very old-school and need next to nothing as the guys will tell you, but i tell you what would be cool...if you could bring a batch of miniatures for some of the battles?

but its not essential as we work things out either way anyway.

i will pre-gen characters, so we can get straight into the game, i will get martin to sort out a DMs guide, a PHB and a monster manual. i will bring my trusty fiend folio with me. thats pretty much it.

you just bring along whatever you want to use. i rarely look at the books n stuff. its the fun of interacting that makes the game - and figuring out an angle of making something fun happen to mike too :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:43 pm 

i was just reading through this again:

viewtopic.php?t=6089

this has just had me laughing a LOT yet again....still so funny! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
jeff i play very old-school and need next to nothing as the guys will tell you, but i tell you what would be cool...if you could bring a batch of miniatures for some of the battles?

i will pre-gen characters, so we can get straight into the game, i will get martin to sort out a DMs guide, a PHB and a monster manual. i will bring my trusty fiend folio with me. thats pretty much it.

you just bring along whatever you want to use. i rarely look at the books n stuff. its the fun of interacting that makes the game - and figuring out an angle of making something fun happen to mike too :D

Al

I will have the books ready.  In the thread you provided one of your entries said we would be back at Tegel this year.  Do you still hold to that?  Or are we looking at something new.  Of course, I'm hoping for Tegel.

martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:40 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

Al, just send me the type of characters and I will bring some minis.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 am 

Prufrock wrote:
I will have the books ready.  In the thread you provided one of your entries said we would be back at Tegel this year.  Do you still hold to that?  Or are we looking at something new.  Of course, I'm hoping for Tegel.

martin

Martin - yes its definately a return to Tegel Manor...though read it all you want my friend, as it will be Tegel, just not as you know it :)

there will be some VERY interesting additions!

Al :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:03 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
Al, just send me the type of characters and I will bring some minis.

Jeff

characters will be as follows (levels to be listed later, but quite high).

1 Paladin (human)
1 Fighter (dwarf)
1 Fighter/Magic User (elf)
1 Cleric (human)
1 Thief (halfling)
1 Magic User (human)

thats it - 6 players

the players i have listed currently are: Martin, John, Mike, Jeff (you), William and 1 A N Other. the A N Other will be Brendon, if he makes it over from Australia. If he doesnt, then the place will go to whomever makes themselves known first at GenCon.

The characters taken are the dwarven fighter (martin), the fighter/Magic user (mike) and the Cleric (john). these are continuations from last year but at higher levels. the other three characters will be open to whoever wants what.

Jeff, if poss, bring some monster minis as well if you could. it doesnt matter what they are, as we will just use them to visualise a combat, not necessarily what the monster is - havent got time for too much detail from that perspective and neither does it matter too much. things will be happening too quick for you to want to bother about that too much anyway :)

John, Jeff, Mike, William and Martin - i want to know what your most favorite module is of all-time. PM me please.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:33 am 

I plan to be there this year for the first time.  I hear the hookers in Indy are really quite affordable.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:36 am 

bombadil wrote:I plan to be there this year for the first time.  I hear the hookers in Indy are really quite affordable.

ask martin - he is the indy man....or ask the burnt bros...they are shady enough to know these things :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 am 

Come on, Al, fess up.  You were the one who told me!

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Jeff

1 Paladin (human)
1 Fighter (dwarf)
1 Cleric (human)
1 Thief (halfling)
1 Magic User (human)

thats it - 6 players

the players i have listed currently are: Martin, John, Mike, Jeff (you), William and 1 A N Other. the A N Other will be Brendon, if he makes it over from Australia. If he doesnt, then the place will go to whomever makes themselves known first at GenCon.

The characters taken are the dwarven fighter (martin), the fighter/Magic user (mike) and the Cleric (john). these are continuations from last year but at higher levels. the other three characters will be open to whoever wants what.

Jeff, if poss, bring some monster minis as well if you could. it doesnt matter what they are, as we will just use them to visualise a combat, not necessarily what the monster is - havent got time for too much detail from that perspective and neither does it matter too much. things will be happening too quick for you to want to bother about that too much anyway :)

John, Jeff, Mike, William and Martin - i want to know what your most favorite module is of all-time. PM me please.

Al

I will take the thief. What level are we? How much are we planning to play?

Can't wait :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:42 am 

bombadil wrote:Come on, Al, fess up.  You were the one who told me!

i wouldnt go near a hooker if one offered it for free my friend.....noooooo thankyou :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:45 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
I will take the thief. What level are we? How much are we planning to play?

Can't wait :D

noted. levels i am not quite decided upon yet, but will certainly be over 12th for sure. this is gonna be one helluva adventure.

planning to play? i am going this time mainly to game. i will be having a few looks around the hall and the auction store first thing in the morning, then pretty much plan to game all day, if the guys want to do that, then its auction time in the evening. but i am kinda flexible really, though i do want to have most of my time placed on gaming.

mike is also doing an adventure too, so we need to stick a little time aside for that.

i am really up for a game this time, so cant wait to get at the helm and let rip with this adventure!!!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:17 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Jeff

1 Paladin (human)
1 Fighter (dwarf)
1 Cleric (human)
1 Thief (halfling)
1 Magic User (human)

thats it - 6 players

Al

I get to play the same character? Cougie the elven ftr/mage?  Kick ass!  

Sounds like you are putting entirely too much work in this, Al.  I forsee a major ass kicking going to happen...and everyone's favorite ftr/mage at the bottom of the dog pile, being made a bitch by any number of rabid shrews.... :lol:

The best time for gaming seems to be the lull after lunch and before the auctions....frankly, we were so busy last year, I don't know when we are going to fit it all in.  Although I guess by Saturday we had worked the convention room of all the items imaginable...and by that time the crowd had gotten pretty ridiculous anyway. Seems like a good day to just game until the Sat night auctions.

I do have a scenario I would like to run with a prominant Acaeum connection...I think I already have the roster filled (Al, Martin, John, Smarmy and Centerstage) although I might be able to fit one more in.  Should be fun also.  My chance to get revenge on Al for the Shrew Incident....!

I have to say, having been to my first GenCon, you do work out in your head the "best" way to work the convention. If you haven't been before I have to say it's pretty overwhelming...you won't possibly be able to do everything you want or even see everything there. Lots of things I would do differently.   I would leave more time Sunday afternoon when the con is closing (King and I had to get on the road for our second Hellride back to Dallas)...lots of deals in the con from people dumping stock (got a two for one on the 40th anniversary convention book, and bought some serious discounted D&D mini boxes for my grandson).  Plus we got lots of sigs from Frank, Tim Kask, Harold Johnson and others as they were relaxing in the auction room.  Then King and I had to turn down a chance to game with Rob Kuntz and Grodog in Bottle City, as some of the people signed up didn't show....Allan called us just as we were going to leave town...bummer!  So anyway you might want to postpone your Sunday departure by a bit....lots of fun stuff going on that day. The way we have it arranged I think my wife and I are staying over Sunday night to leave Monday morning...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 pm 

We always stay Sunday and leave monday AM.  leaves us time to relax a bit Sunday night and not rush to leave.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 pm 

i plan to fly home monday lunch-time, same as i did last time. seemed to work pretty well, so i will just do that again methinks.

that way, we can also game on sunday, when the place clears up some too. i want my game to be fun anyway, as i dont really like too much seriousness as the guys will tell you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:24 pm 

killjoy32 wrote: i will bring my trusty fiend folio with me. thats pretty much it.

Ah, the Brits and their beloved Fiend Folio ...  :)

(Kidding! I like it, too! Mostly ...)

PreviousNext