Collection Management Software
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:00 pm 

Does anyone use any collection management/cataloging software for their stuff?  If so, what do you use and how do you like it?

Me, I just keep an inventory on Microsoft Word  :D .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:43 pm 

i use ms access to keep track of my collection.  i'm constantly tweaking the format trying to get it just right, but so far it's worked pretty well.

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:36 pm 

I have a Word inventory as well... not very sophosticated, but it seems to work OK.

I've been meaning to create an Excel spreadsheet instead, just so I can sort the list by game/publisher/whatever else. Maybe a project for the holidays.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:40 am 

I have a series of Word bibliographies that I downloaded that I color code (red for incoming, blue for in collection, etc.).  I need to start an excel spreadsheet so I can list condition on there for easier reference if I want to try to replace any items with books of better quality.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:25 pm 

I personally use MS Works.  It's a smaller database program like Access, but about 8 million times easier.  If you already own and know how to use Access, i'm sure that it can do much more and might be better.  But from what i've found, Works is simple, and does everything i need with ease.

I've used Notepad, Word (and Word Perfect), as well as Excel.  I've been using Works for years and years now.  Excel was a royal pain because my colomns kept getting sorted separately, hence ruining the entire list.  I hear it's better about this, but no matter what, Excel is not a database.  

Hardly anyone i know uses Works, so it makes it a little harder to share the data, but not much.  A simple copy and paste of the entire list will fit nicely in Excel with no additional formating needed.

Works is cheap.  You can find it almost anywhere (check the bargain bins).  I've tried many versions of it, and seem to prefer the 1995 version.  The others are fine and work great, but i guess i'm not a big fan of change and just seemed to like that one best.

There you go.

rhea..