David Sutherland TSR INDUSTRIES Original Art
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:40 pm 

Ok, this one deserves it's own posting!!

Holy Grail Original Dungeons & Dragons Art ++
David Sutherland TSR INDUSTRIES Got to Look!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =3986&rd=1

Seller states in the auction description that there are 183 sheets of paper.  Which include original sketches, memos on TSR letterhead, and notes.

What's the conservitave estimate on this collection?

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:59 pm 

I have no idea as to its actual value... if I was going to bid on it (can't, bad timing at Christmas + taxes), I would max out at $1,500.  If it was a favorite artist (say, Trampier), I'd double that.

Most of us focus on print items, but this is the real legacy of roleplaying, and a truly unique collection.  I hope and pray that someone is going to not only preserve this, but find a way to turn it into a community benefit.  Too much of this stuff is being trashed, or is already lost, or is vanishing into private collections.

Depending on who the winner is, I'd probably be willing to pony up $100, if they'd be able to find a legal way to make it available to everyone (say, as a web library; not sure what Wizards and the artist would think of that).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:39 pm 

I was thinking along the same lines.  It would be cool if the winner would keep the collection together and display it in some way, the history detailed here is unbelievable.

For me, if I had the money, probably five grand.  And, I'd create a website where it would all be displayed.  But that's just me  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:14 pm 

Don't we already have such a wonderful web site, say, here? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:38 am 

Man, if I only had a few more hundred laying around.  I'm already predicting one of maybe three people on this forum will snag this, though I don't know...  who here is the art collecting fan?  Whoever gets this MUST scan these and put them up on the web somewhere, its too cool to let it sit up in a box somewhere! (or framed).  
If you own the originals, you own the rights to display them on the web, right?  It would be great if we could convince the Acaeum to host the pictures.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:05 am 

Cernunnos wrote:Man, if I only had a few more hundred laying around.  I'm already predicting one of maybe three people on this forum will snag this, though I don't know...  who here is the art collecting fan?  Whoever gets this MUST scan these and put them up on the web somewhere, its too cool to let it sit up in a box somewhere! (or framed).  
If you own the originals, you own the rights to display them on the web, right?  It would be great if we could convince the Acaeum to host the pictures.

I'd not be interested in the drawings/sketches, but I'd most surely be interested in the written papers. The price is too high for me, however...  :(

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:38 pm 

I am not sure of the value myself. I have bought several original TSR pieces of art. The most I paid was for the back cover to Q1($150) and the least was four small ones from the Monstrous Manual and a Ravenloft Module($10 for all four). I will probably bid on this but I can't see it being worth $5000. Most the art looks like preliminary sketches and not the actual published art. If I win the auction I would be glad to scan and share the info in any way possible.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:33 pm 

Obe of those drawings is from DL9 Dragons of Deceit - Gunthar sitting on a dragon. There are also a couple of the other DragonLance module covers, specifically DL2, DL13 and DL14 :
Page Not Found

I think I can also see the cover of one of the DragonLance Legends trilogy.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:37 pm 

two emails of note from the seller:

Hello,

Yes there is tons of information regarding the developtment of the game.  If
you check the last two photographs in my listing you will be able to see
more of the contents of this pile as I will be changing these photos out
periodically throughout the duration of the auction.  Believe it or not this
stuff came from the estate of a 96 year old woman who lived in Lake Como, WI
and once operated a resale shop in Sharon, WI. We had an opportunity to
purchase stuff from both locations.  The resale shop has beeen closed since
the 1980's but was still full of stuff.  Her house was literally piled to
the ceiling with junk and this is where this pile of D&G stuff was found in
between a pile of old books.  My guess is she got this stuff dumpster diving
at TSR,  judging from the gross amount of garbage in this house, but
truthfully because of the resale shop I imagine she could have picked it up
anywhere.  Hope this helps and thanks for the interest!

Kathy W.

and

Hello,

Because of the amount of email I am getting regarding this stuff I am adding
an additional 6 photos to my listings and these will change throughout the
duration of the auction.  Thanks!

Kathy

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:20 pm 

It looks like some of the art is photocopies for editing purposes. Still very neat items though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:03 am 

It looks like an interesting bunch of items, including a letter, I presume, from MAR Barker concerning EPT art.  But I don't see at least one major piece that would make me pull the trigger for a $1000+ bid.  I would really want an original, large illustration from the original DMG or PH to make my mouth water.  For example, the original Emirikol the Chaotic drawing would make it worthwhile.  Should be interesting to see where this one ends up, though I'm going to guess it goes for only a bit more than the opening bid.  But anything could happen...  :wink:

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the original paintings for the DMG and PH by DCS?  Now, those I could see spending close to $10,000 for.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:33 pm 

Well, I was proven wrong in my prediction   :lol:

Burntwire won it with a $2,225 bid.  That seems like quite a bit for a lot with no major pieces and quite a few photocopies.  Hopefully the notes will make it worthwhile, and a hidden gem or two that the seller didn't notice or scan.  Then again, if you have the money, why not?  Enjoy!

Anyone know of any sites that sell old original TSR art?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:17 pm 

OUCH!! :o  It went for a little more than I had hoped. I sure hope there's some hidden gems in there to make me feel a little better about spending so much. Thank Crom for plastic or Christmas would be grim around my house. When the lot arrives I will let everyone know what it contains.

Devon

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:09 pm 

please post a list of when you get it Devon;)

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:50 pm 

Good looking out Devon  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:34 pm 

Congrats Burntwire, how oh how did we all guess that if anybody here won it, it would be you ;)
If you are feeling generous enough, you'll have to scan a few of the cooler things you find and throw them up.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:24 pm 

I will gladly post them if Scott is willing to host the images on the Acaeum. It will probably take me some time to sort though what is there and figure out what is worthy.  

Overall the lot wasn't that expensive when considering there is 183 pages(only averages out to about $12 a page). Hopefully there is some really cool info. :)

I still need to complete my Tourney list for Grodog. Hopefully I can complete that before Christmas and get that sent to him. I did find one that I know is Greyhawk:
GenCon 18 Open Tournament
 -Round 1: "Book. Book. Who has the Book?"
 -Round 4: "In the Mines of Leorth"
 -Round 6: no name

Burntwire

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:08 am 

burntwire wrote:OUCH!! :o  It went for a little more than I had hoped. I sure hope there's some hidden gems in there to make me feel a little better about spending so much. Thank Crom for plastic or Christmas would be grim around my house. When the lot arrives I will let everyone know what it contains.

Devon

Is there any chance you post in pdf the letters and the papers (not the sketches) on The Acaeum? I'd love to read some of the notes for research purposes.

Next