Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 48 of 107123 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 105106107
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 490
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: Derby, CT

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:30 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:Contrary to popular belief, I do not spend all of my spare time cruising the RPG listings on E-Bay.


Hey Aneoth...
If you don't spend all your spare time cruising, how come I can't win against you. (A couple of times :wink: )


**Edit - Damn,screwed up the quote.**
**Edit - Damn,screwed up twice.**


Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:26 am 
 

Someone destroy this jack off:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 6&rd=1
and
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 4&rd=1
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6838
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:36 am 
 

Looks like Titan Games is getting a friend to shill their auctions. Either that or these two don't have a clue what they are bidding on.

Anyone see why this is goung so high? or do Titan Games just need to prop up they're feedback and sales?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... 6&rd=1


This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:33 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Looks like Titan Games is getting a friend to shill their auctions. Either that or these two don't have a clue what they are bidding on.

Anyone see why this is goung so high? or do Titan Games just need to prop up they're feedback and sales?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... 6&rd=1


I think its just a good ole fashion stupid a$$ bidding war. :roll: The bidders seem to be legit and neither is anywhere near the seller. undercvrunicorn is from Florida and raskal999 is actually from France. It must be the misprinted cover thing, but seriously $200.00. 8O Also, look at its description its listed as EXTRA FINE :evil: . Not only is it feckin hammered, but its also not even complete. WTF?! Talk about a complete and total misrepresentation of grading. God is that irritating. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:50 am 
 

jkason wrote:
Aneoth wrote:Contrary to popular belief, I do not spend all of my spare time cruising the RPG listings on E-Bay.

Hey Aneoth...
If you don't spend all your spare time cruising, how come I can't win against you. (A couple of times :wink: )
**Edit - Damn,screwed up the quote.**
**Edit - Damn,screwed up twice.**

Do you use sniping software? If not, then that is how you can most often beat me. That is how harami and some of the others who use it beat me, they often outbid me in the last moments of an auctions listing.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6838
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:01 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Looks like Titan Games is getting a friend to shill their auctions. Either that or these two don't have a clue what they are bidding on.

Anyone see why this is goung so high? or do Titan Games just need to prop up they're feedback and sales?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... 6&rd=1


I think its just a good ole fashion stupid a$$ bidding war. :roll: The bidders seem to be legit and neither is anywhere near the seller. undercvrunicorn is from Florida and raskal999 is actually from France. It must be the misprinted cover thing, but seriously $200.00. 8O Also, look at its description its listed as EXTRA FINE :evil: . Not only is it feckin hammered, but its also not even complete. WTF?! Talk about a complete and total misrepresentation of grading. God is that irritating. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


Where is the misprint on the cover? Anyone?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 490
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: Derby, CT

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:23 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:
jkason wrote:Hey Aneoth...
If you don't spend all your spare time cruising, how come I can't win against you. (A couple of times :wink: )
**Edit - Damn,screwed up the quote.**
**Edit - Damn,screwed up twice.**

Do you use sniping software? If not, then that is how you can most often beat me. That is how harami and some of the others who use it beat me, they often outbid me in the last moments of an auctions listing.


Nope. No sniping software. Wasn't aware that it existed. I did know, however, that there is search/seive software out there.

Anybody know where I can get this so-called "sniping sofware"?


Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 07, 2022

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:38 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Where is the misprint on the cover? Anyone?

Unless I miss my guess, I believe the misprint has to do with the red text being shifted up and to the right of center, possibly due to the book shifting positions when the red was being printed.

Unless the misprint is the coffee stains.  :D



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6838
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:47 am 
 

Traveller wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Where is the misprint on the cover? Anyone?

Unless I miss my guess, I believe the misprint has to do with the red text being shifted up and to the right of center, possibly due to the book shifting positions when the red was being printed.

Unless the misprint is the coffee stains. :D

Looks pretty much the same as mine. Me thinks Titan Ass Wop Shop is trying ti say 88 pages on a 64 page book is the misprint. If that's the case, every single copy is a misprint. There was never an 88 page edition.
FWIW, Tight Ass Games wouldn't tell me what the misprint was.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:06 am 
 

Traveller wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Where is the misprint on the cover? Anyone?

Unless I miss my guess, I believe the misprint has to do with the red text being shifted up and to the right of center, possibly due to the book shifting positions when the red was being printed.

Unless the misprint is the coffee stains. :D


Agreeing with Traveller.

Checked mine, and the cover it's printed in two colours, red and brown. To make them overlap without them showing over the other, you have to "dig" a white area in the darker parts of the image to have the lighter colour stand out.

If you print them, and the printing plates nudge somewhat, as in this case - a thing that happens generally when you mount the plates, print the first copies, look at the results and manually tweak the plates to get everything going - you obtain a cover like this one.

Generally, you dig the first copies... but sometimes one slips through the quality control process.

But sincerely, 200 bucks is too much to get for a "misprint" like this.


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6838
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:20 am 
 

rosenkav wrote:
Traveller wrote:Unless I miss my guess, I believe the misprint has to do with the red text being shifted up and to the right of center, possibly due to the book shifting positions when the red was being printed.

Unless the misprint is the coffee stains. :D


Agreeing with Traveller.

Checked mine, and the cover it's printed in two colours, red and brown. To make them overlap without them showing over the other, you have to "dig" a white area in the darker parts of the image to have the lighter colour stand out.

If you print them, and the printing plates nudge somewhat, as in this case - a thing that happens generally when you mount the plates, print the first copies, look at the results and manually tweak the plates to get everything going - you obtain a cover like this one.

Generally, you dig the first copies... but sometimes one slips through the quality control process.

But sincerely, 200 bucks is too much to get for a "misprint" like this.

It's not a first edition copy. It's a second edition copy and the second edition was published with surplus stock from the first edition reprinted covers after they added the $7.98 price tag. So both print runs of this cover were for 96 page books, and this one is the later 64 page reissue.
I don't see it as a missprint. I see it as a lousy photo and coffee damage, and I get TAG knows it.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:39 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Where is the misprint on the cover? Anyone?

*blinks at that final price* :o

IMHO, the only thing that goes to show is that some people (smart or otherwise) are willing to bid high on perceived rarity for misprints/variants, genuine or otherwise.
In that context, would make sense to research into the likes of the OD&D sets to determine whether there are consistent cover variants, etc., which could be clearly proven/shown. (Beats having people declare scarce variants in their auction listings without any reference).
Phps not down to the n'th degree with millimetre differences in module sizes, however, as noted on the current listings here.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:58 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:It's not a first edition copy. It's a second edition copy and the second edition was published with surplus stock from the first edition reprinted covers after they added the $7.98 price tag. So both print runs of this cover were for 96 page books, and this one is the later 64 page reissue.
I don't see it as a missprint. I see it as a lousy photo and coffee damage, and I get TAG knows it.


Sorry. I'm talking tech in a language that is not my mothertongue. So, be patient with me!  :)

I'll explain it better from a technical point of view - since I work with printing presses all year long.

When I said "first copies", I wasn't meaning in terms of collectionism, but just in time terms regarding the print run - so the first copies printed in THAT print run.

The first copies of EVERY print run like this - with two matching colours - are going to have this kind of problem (nudging and overlapping areas of colour with white showing in other areas), unless the printing press staff know how to do their work extremely well, minimizing this time and material loss while they adjust the plates to print as they should.

Mbassoc, you're right. In fact this is not a misprint, but rather a copy of the cover that should have been thrown away and not stapled and sold.
Complete with coffee stains, bad treatment and lousy photo to boot.


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6838
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:13 am 
 

rosenkav wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:It's not a first edition copy. It's a second edition copy and the second edition was published with surplus stock from the first edition reprinted covers after they added the $7.98 price tag. So both print runs of this cover were for 96 page books, and this one is the later 64 page reissue.
I don't see it as a missprint. I see it as a lousy photo and coffee damage, and I get TAG knows it.


I'll explain it better from a techie point of view. When I said "first copies", I wasn't meaning in terms of collectionism, but just in time terms regarding the print run - so the first copies printed in THAT print run.

The first copies of EVERY print run are going to have this kind of problem (nudging and overlapping areas of colour with white showing in other areas), unless the printing press staff know how to do their work extremely well, minimizing this time and material loss while they adjust the plates to print as they should.

In fact this is not a misprint, but rather a copy of the cover that should have been thrown away. Complete with coffee stains, bad treatment and lousy photo to boot.


To stoke the fires further, the 64 page edition was always printed with a $7.98 price on the cover. This one does not have the price, and yet the remainder of the plate is present? Looks like a dodgy forgery that is trying to be covered up with a bad photo and coffee to me.

I wonder why Titan Games wouldn't specify what the misprint was, or answer any questions? Looks like Tony Ass Wop is up to his misselling tricks again.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:19 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote: To stoke the fires further, the 64 page edition was always printed with a $7.98 price on the cover. This one does not have the price, and yet the remainder of the plate is present? Looks like a dodgy forgery that is trying to be covered up with a bad photo and coffee to me.

I wonder why Titan Games wouldn't specify what the misprint was, or answer any questions? Looks like Tony Ass Wop is up to his misselling tricks again.


I have downloaded the image and looked through my photoshop - the 7,98 $ price tag is present in the bottom right corner - as is in my copy too.

If you look closely, you see it.

The photo is awful tho...

If anyone is interested, I could send a pic of mine to see how it looks.


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6838
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:30 am 
 

Got that. I stand corrected. :oops:
It looks suspiciously like my copy though. Mine has black lines above the characters, and white lines below the characters too. Whadda ya know. I have a $200 misprint too. I'll wait for the one I have up to sell, and follow up with a 'rare misprint complete with maps'. Bet I won't get $200 for ot though. :(
Out of curiosity, is there a slight misalignment in the text on your 2nd edition copy, Deadlord?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:35 am 
 

Uploaded the two side by side

Yahoo!

Click on RPG stuff, then the image is arneson.jpg


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:35 am 
 

rosenkav wrote:Uploaded the two side by side

Yahoo!

Click on RPG stuff, then the image is arneson.jpg

I could not access the RPG file folder on that page.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 48 of 107123 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 105106107