Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 43 of 107123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 105106107
Author


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:57 am 
 

beyerun wrote:Does paying almost $95 for an old GenCon program count? :lol:


Pretty close, perhaps. (Sorry, Mike ;))

Is definitely a "nice to have" in a "museum" context, but did pick up a minty same-era program along with a Gygax signed 5th print OD&D set (from the same GenCon) for $80-something last year.



=



$305 for a T1st Greyhawk with creases, stains and a few pen marks raised an eyebrow here, too...

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:40 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:....$305 for a T1st Greyhawk with creases, stains and a few pen marks raised an eyebrow here, too...
Yep, that one got my attention too... For other (More selfish) reasons though... :roll:


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:42 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:
harami2000 wrote:....$305 for a T1st Greyhawk with creases, stains and a few pen marks raised an eyebrow here, too...
Yep, that one got my attention too... For other (More selfish) reasons though... :roll:


*g*. Good luck on the tape removal from your second copy, too.



Think I'm sticking with Frank's copy for the time being, with prices like that!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Aneoth wrote:Yep, that one got my attention too... For other (More selfish) reasons though... :roll:


*g*. Good luck on the tape removal from your second copy, too.



Think I'm sticking with Frank's copy for the time being, with prices like that!


Yep, I am not even thinking of selling my Mint copy, but I will re-list the second one though. And I am not going to touch the tape either. I will leave that to the next owner(s). I will just accept what comes with the new listing. I know I am no good judge of the true worth of such things. I just thought it was worth the reserve price I had. Obviously not.... I am well aware that the market determines value better than I ever could.



One good thing about me though, is that I am realistic in that way. And I was only a little dissapointed that the reserve was not reached.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:08 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:Yep, I am not even thinking of selling my Mint copy, but I will re-list the second one though. And I am not going to touch the tape either.


Smart... :P

Don't think there's anything can be done about that.



Aneoth wrote: I will leave that to the next owner(s). I will just accept what comes with the new listing. I know I am no good judge of the true worth of such things. I just thought it was worth the reserve price I had. Obviously not.... I am well aware that the market determines value better than I ever could.



One good thing about me though, is that I am realistic in that way. And I was only a little dissapointed that the reserve was not reached.


Market varies day-to-day, though.

Will be back with the same bid next time around, however... ;)

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:13 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Aneoth wrote:Yep, I am not even thinking of selling my Mint copy, but I will re-list the second one though. And I am not going to touch the tape either.


Smart... :P

Don't think there's anything can be done about that.


But if you do come up with something, please let me know.  I've got a woody (Oooh, matron!) which needs what looks like a whole roll of masking tape removing from it.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 58
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 23, 2007
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 pm 
 

oh yeah - Gord, as someone asked:



1) Saga of Old City

2) Artifact of Evil

3) Sea of Death

4) Night Arrant

5) City of Hawks

6) Come Endless Darkness

7) Dance of Demons



The GREYHAWK series is

1) Saga of Old City

2) Artifact of Evil

3) Master Wolf (M1)

4) The Price of Power (M2)

5) The Demon Hand (M3)

6) The Name of the Game

7) Dragon in Amber

8) The Eyes Have It



Note the overlap with Gary Gygax's Gord series and the Greyhawk series which includes Rose Estes's Mika series, and a few more of hers.



Some are published by TSR, some by New Infinities and some by Penguin (IIRC).



Confused? Yep!



All this is AFAIK, as I only have 8 of the above so far, ie five more to get, and I havn't actually read of them - no Saga of Old City yet.



BJS

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:53 am 
 

b_stedman wrote:oh yeah - Gord, as someone asked:



1) Saga of Old City

2) Artifact of Evil

3) Sea of Death

4) Night Arrant

5) City of Hawks

6) Come Endless Darkness

7) Dance of Demons







i have books 3-7 here. could have got 1-2 when i bought the other 5 (got em for £0.99 each) but didnt fancy them at the time. there is someone in the US selling them 2 on ebay but they are battered and they are newer covers. will hold out and try and find the older ones in better condition....no rush.



great books tho.



Al



ps. hello bruce!



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 905
Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:19 am 
 

$82 for a bashed immortal rules set (could be shilled).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5962493375

More Master / Immortal Rules madness. I'm posting this here in hope that it's not a new trend.  8O


- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 25, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:41 am 
 

Ralf Toth wrote:$82 for a bashed immortal rules set (could be shilled).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5962493375

More Master / Immortal Rules madness. I'm posting this here in hope that it's not a new trend. 8O


Time to go to auction with mine me-thinks


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:21 pm 
 

Yeah, what's up w/ the Master rules boxed set?  Mine was stolen (if I ever find him, even after 15+ years, he's feckin' dead  :evil: ) and I've NEVER found a reasonably priced Master set.  I miss my Master set, even after 15+ years.  :(


There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:58 pm 
 

Looking at the bidding I would think there was some shilling going on.  I have never figured out why the price on the Immortals is so much higher than any of the others. Was the print run that much smaller or is it just one of those things that happens with some of the first edition modules?


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:26 pm 
 

Marlith wrote:Looking at the bidding I would think there was some shilling going on.


Not sure I agree. I'm assuming you're looking at donato1439 — if so, it should be noted that he has bid/is bidding on five different items from four different sellers, including two different Immortals sets. I'd say we're looking more at a newbie who keeps upping his bids rather than backing off and trying for a last-minute snipe.

I'm not certain of any of this, of course; it's more of an educated guess. If all of these user IDs are somehow connected, I certainly don't have the time or patience to be tugging on that string ...

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:56 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Marlith wrote:Looking at the bidding I would think there was some shilling going on.


Not sure I agree. I'm assuming you're looking at donato1439 — if so, it should be noted that he has bid/is bidding on five different items from four different sellers, including two different Immortals sets. I'd say we're looking more at a newbie who keeps upping his bids rather than backing off and trying for a last-minute snipe.

I'm not certain of any of this, of course; it's more of an educated guess. If all of these user IDs are somehow connected, I certainly don't have the time or patience to be tugging on that string ...


Like your sig line.

I'm glad I got my Immortals for so little on e-bay.  And even gladder to have a rules cyclopedia.  It has been fun to browse so far, though what happened to the Sea Serpents?


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:32 pm 
 

If you have a Rules Cyclopedia, perhaps you should think about Wrath of the Immortals instead of Set 5.  There were some significant changes made, as summarized below.  The rules in Wrath of the Immortals supercede the (brief) rules given for Immortality in the Rules Cyclopedia.

Rules Changes: Wrath of the Immortals
  • The Sphere of Matter is no longer limited to human characters.
  • Although each Sphere favors one character class, members of any character class may attempt to achieve Immortality in any Sphere.
  • The experience level structure for Immortals has changed.  Immortals now have 36 levels, just as mortal characters.
  • There is no limit to the number of Immortals that can exist at a particular experience level.  There are no "Olympics", and Hiearchs now refer to all Immortals of 31st level and higher instead of the highest ranking Immortal in a given Sphere.
  • Spells no longer belong to any specific Sphere.  Any Immortal can cast any spell.
  • Definitions of Planes and Dimensions have been simplified, removing "tetraspace" and other technical jargon from the rules.  The "bias" rules have also been eliminated, allowing each plane to have completely individual effects on magic and the Spheres.
  • There is no longer any specific meaning to an Immortal's name, and the Immortal no longer has to change names at specific experience level points.  New Immortals are not required to choose a different name to distance themselves from their mortal lives, although most choose to do so.
How good these changes are is a matter of taste, but having read through both sets of rules, I find that these changes only serve to really ramp up the power levels of Immortals.  As someone who has consistently stated that gods = TPK, this is my type of book.  To me it far outshines Deities & Demigods for sheer usefulness.



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:56 pm 
 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5&rd=1

I've been looking for a good investment opportunity.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 03, 2021
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:44 am 
 

I've been looking for a good investment opportunity.

Mike B.


With that kind of feedback rating for him (1 @ 100%) you couldn't lose. Put me down for another 10% with you. :twisted:

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:34 am 
 

Allright, which one of you bid on that auction?



  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 43 of 107123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 105106107