Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 107123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 105106107
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:03 pm 

Not that bad a deal. . . I sell the Gygax Gord books for $5.00 - $6.00 each in my ebay store. Usually they get grabbed up in about 2-4 weeks.

Oh . . . and I still have my original Gord books (never touched a Rose Estes though! Boo!! Hsss!!!  :evil: )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:11 pm 

I read them back in early high school.  I dunno when I lost them really might have been when most the rest of my game books got stolen or they might have been left at my grandmothers.(she tossed a bunch of my stuff when she was cleaning out the attic including my grandfathers baseball cards)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:30 pm 

I have all the Gord the Rogue books myself and they are an interesting enough reading. IMO the first is clearly the best, but the others aren't too bad.  Its funny about the price though, several years ago on EBay, those books used to go for really crazy money for some reason, and I'm talking like over $100.00 for the set.  Condition of the books in that auction aren't too bad, personally I don't thnk the books were made very durable and don't hold up very well to even light reading.  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:31 pm 

Okay, I stand corrected. I seem to remember seeing at least some of these going for 75 cents or $1.50 or whatever at half.com, though. I bought the first one (I'm pretty sure it was the first one; Gord was very young in the story), found it totally unreadable, and used it as a chew-toy for my rabbits ...

As far as Rose Estes goes ... **makes choking, gagging sound** My idea of hell is attending a writing seminar hosted by her and Ru Emerson.

Thanks for the info., though. I'll stop making fun of Gord now (or at least make LESS fun of him). :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:36 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Its funny about the price though, several years ago on EBay, those books used to go for really crazy money for some reason, and I'm talking like over $100.00 for the set.

Seriously? As a famous cartoon squirrel once said: "Hokey smokes!"

Anyway, it's becoming obvious that "silliest price of the year" wasn't the correct thread for my original post. My bad. Maybe we can all pretend I posted it in "interesting items" ... :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:42 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Its funny about the price though, several years ago on EBay, those books used to go for really crazy money for some reason, and I'm talking like over $100.00 for the set.

Seriously? As a famous cartoon squirrel once said: "Hokey smokes!"

Anyway, it's becoming obvious that "silliest price of the year" wasn't the correct thread for my original post. My bad. Maybe we can all pretend I posted it in "interesting items" ... :)

I don't necessarily think you were that off base. Market has Clearly cooled on those, and $50.00 is way more that I would be spending. I'll bet you could easily pay half that for them individually. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:57 pm 

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... eName=WDVW

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:11 pm 

mbassoc

Holy Mackerel!

I have a collection of White Dwarf from number 16 to 90 - and all the Imagine from number 1

I'm rich and I didn't know it

:lol:

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:13 pm 

Oh, not again... :roll:

Thought the market for rough-looking WDs had cooled down since that blip last year.

*smiles*

What was it WD#1-300~ for £150 or so, John? Still feel sorry for that poor sod...

=

(Good number to stop collecting on, <rosenkav>. I just made it to #100 and no more...)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:25 pm 

*gah!*

Sniped at £26!

$50 for a creased, somewhat worn WD #12.... :P

Times like this I wish I was a reseller, just to tap the underbidder on the shoulder ;)

(Thanks for the spot, Ian).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:31 pm 

How about this:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3&rd=1

$30.00 for a fairly beat up 3rd print Deities and Demigods, still 4 hours to go 8O

and same seller

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 4&rd=1

another $21.00 on an okay copy of a  6th print PHB  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:34 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*gah!*

Sniped at £26!

$50 for a creased, somewhat worn WD #12.... :P

Times like this I wish I was a reseller, just to tap the underbidder on the shoulder ;)

(Thanks for the spot, Ian).

These prices are getting silly now. Its as bad as the OCEs. I don't have any of the OD&D books. I have the three 1st Edition Suppliments I bought from Burnie, but that's it. I wouldn't mind a set but not at the present prices. I need to fill a lot of gaps in my White Dwarf collection below Issue 20, but not at those prices.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:36 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Not that bad a deal. . . I sell the Gygax Gord books for $5.00 - $6.00 each in my ebay store. Usually they get grabbed up in about 2-4 weeks.

Oh . . . and I still have my original Gord books (never touched a Rose Estes though! Boo!! Hsss!!! :evil: )

i still have all my Gord the Rogue books - they are great to read every 6 months or so and wouldnt part with them for anything...well maybe not quite anything, but you know what i mean! :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:32 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Oh . . . and I still have my original Gord books (never touched a Rose Estes though! Boo!! Hsss!!! :evil: )

<sarcasm>Oh, you didn't like the Mika trilogy? Mika was such a likeable young lad...</sarcasm>

killjoy32 wrote:i still have all my Gord the Rogue books - they are great to read every 6 months or so and wouldnt part with them for anything...well maybe not quite anything, but you know what i mean!

Gord is a great series. Haven't had the time to finish it yet, but what I read was good. Reminded me a lot of Leiber's Lankhmar series (even better!), I think it is obvious that Leiber was a huge influence for EGG.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:51 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:Gord is a great series. Haven't had the time to finish it yet, but what I read was good. Reminded me a lot of Leiber's Lankhmar series (even better!), I think it is obvious that Leiber was a huge influence for EGG.

hi ralf! yeah there are similar character qualities between Gord and characters in Lankhmar (can't be bothered going to my bookshelf for individual names).

one thing i loved so much about the books were: in the short stories, it all started off as a minor thing for Gord & co...just thieving in greyhawk  - the inn chase around greyhawk short story is one of my favorites, and growing into the "champion of balance" in relation to tharizdun / entropy. i really just enjoyed the flow of the story. to be honest, once i had read them, it gave me a better insight into the "feel" of the greyhawk campaign. i was able to DM on that world with more clarity than before, especially when the party ever ventured off the prime material plane.

well it did for me anyway :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:26 am 

harami2000 wrote:

Oh, not again... :roll:

Thought the market for rough-looking WDs had cooled down since that blip last year.

*smiles*

What was it WD#1-300~ for £150 or so, John? Still feel sorry for that poor sod...

=

(Good number to stop collecting on, <rosenkav>. I just made it to #100 and no more...)

Would have been worth buying and breaking up those 300 then.

I stopped at eleventy-one.  Probably about 30 too late :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:38 am 

Some issues of WD in that era - from number 20 to 50 - were downright fantastic in AD&D game terms - I remember fondly the necromancer and all the published character classes. They had extremely interesting spells and capabilities, and greatly enhanced the game providing plots when the TSR world was much behind, in the age of Go in-kill the monster-loot the treasure dungeons.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:14 am 

Here is an interesting one:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 4&rd=1

THe auction price isn't what is the silly part. Check out the Shipping?! 8O

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 107123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 105106107