Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 107123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 105106107
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:47 pm 

harami2000 wrote:The less welcome side of stuff being dug out of people's archives, owing to anniversary coverage...

"Celebrate 30 years of D&D by adding this book to your collection.  Outstanding artistry, great fun"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2278939994
early 9th print Wizard PHB; $99 start with $110 BIN. 8O

Erm, I'll pass.... (and on the others the seller has, too).

d.

That was definitely a winner; it is a case of people assuming that age=value in all cases.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 pm 

Shingen wrote:
harami2000 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2278939994
early 9th print Wizard PHB; $99 start with $110 BIN. 8O

That was definitely a winner; it is a case of people assuming that age=value in all cases.

Ah, but it didn't sell...
(Or is this a separate category under "silliest auction price"? ;)).

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:58 pm 

You'll find rip-offs every once in awhile, but overall, people honestly don't know.
:oops:

I used to buy collections, as it's a great way to get people who are cleaning out their basements / kid's rooms / etc.  They have no idea what they have.

The problem I was running into was that 75% of what you get are hardcover rulebooks.  The looks on these people's faces when I told them I could pay $1-2 per book, with few exceptions, were not something I care to remember.  They:  "WTF?  I don't think you understand.  These are over 20 years old, in perfect shape."  Me:  "Oh, I do understand.  Believe me.  But -"  "Here, how about these ratty old softcovers with all the loose covers falling off?"  Me:  "Sure, I will gladly give you $4 for each one, except for B2 and X1."  They:  "What's wrong with you?  You were just saying these mint hardcovers were worth nothing ..."
:?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:19 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT

Ok...What did I miss here. I thought I was overbidding at $13 w/$6 in shipping... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:01 pm 

Nothing that I could see. The buyer will just resell them. Minicougar maybe.
I'm wondering why Castle Thrax is at $12. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, I got mine for a couple bucks a few months ago.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:46 am 

bbarsh wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT

Ok...What did I miss here. I thought I was overbidding at $13 w/$6 in shipping... 8O

Never heard of The Riding.  Always a thrill to find a new supplement that I have never seen before.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:23 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5927880388

am i missing something in this auction?  seems a little steep for what you can find in any used book store for $6 each...

-dave

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:38 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote: I'm wondering why Castle Thrax is at $12. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, I got mine for a couple bucks a few months ago.

OK, I will tell you why. You failed to tell me what its value is before I bid on it. That is why. Please forgive my ignorance. I have now proven to all here that I am an ignoramus.

Oh boy!!! This is great! Even though I have only been posting to this forum for a week I have already learned that I may end up paying too much for Castle Thrax........  

Please give me a break. Obviously I have now proven to everyone here, that I am not as familiar with Non-TSR DnD items as you experts. So, what's strange about that?

I am willing to admit my ignorance, but I got here as soon as I could, and now that I am here, I will try to learn something occasionally. With your help, perhaps I can.

A) I am relatively new to collecting DnD, other than what I played with over the past twenty-five years or so. So, my knowledge is certainly not up to par with yours and even most of you other ole' timers in this forum. Most of my information (Especially for Non-TSR items) comes through reading, looking on this and other web sites, checking auctions on E-Bay, reading description on items even if I have no intention of bidding on them, just to find out what the item is. And from this site, I learn some of what the wise and far more experienced folks offer up in their writings in the forums.

Of course, since most of my DnD knowledge comes from either my long years of playing experience, or E-Bay, or the Acaeum, then what is not listed here is not likely to be known to me at all. So, I must try to fumble about, hoping not to get burned too often.

B) I have never seen Castle Thrax, and not being familiar with it or the scenario, or its availability, I thought it might be interesting enough to use in a campaign to think that 12 bucks is not too much for it. (And I still don't)

If I had known all there is to know to know, then rest assured I would have saved my 12 bucks for something less expensive... or perhaps more expensive.

OK, the sarcasm spell components are now being carefully placed back in my bag of spell components....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ACAEUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly do appreciate all the information that can be found here. And I also appreciate all the hard work you web site folks do to keep this place up and running.

And Dead, or eyeamgod, thanks for your instruction too.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:01 pm 

Aneoth, easy there! I wasn't insulting you at all. I was wondering if I had gotten a steal on it, that's all. When I bid on it, I had actually set the snipe up for $22, which is why I was curious.
FWIW, if you have any questions about non-TSR D&D stuff, feel free to drop me a line. I would be happy to tell you what something usually goes for if I know. And since I'm dropping out of the collecting biz, I obviously won't snipe it from you, even though I wouldn't do that anyways.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:21 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote: Aneoth, easy there! I wasn't insulting you at all. I was wondering if I had gotten a steal on it, that's all. When I bid on it, I had actually set the snipe up for $22, which is why I was curious. FWIW, if you have any questions about non-TSR D&D stuff, feel free to drop me a line. I would be happy to tell you what something usually goes for if I know. And since I'm dropping out of the collecting biz, I obviously won't snipe it from you, even though I wouldn't do that anyways.

What does FWIW mean?

Another example of something I can learn here.

OK. My sarcasm was seemingly ill placed and/or ill used in my previous post.  :oops:

Please be assured that my thanking of the Acaeum was after I returned the sarcasm to the sack of spell components. Every word stated thanking the Acaeum and also those with more knowledge than me were sincere and quite true. I truly do appreciate this place, and those who dwell here.

I meant no ill will towards you Deadlord, in any way shape or form. I truly do appreciate information from ANYONE, no matter what the source. Even if it was something I already knew. One can always sift through unneeded data at a later time. But if you do not listen and take note, then potentially valuable information might not be taken in. I have always appreciated being able to learn from those with more experience than I have in any given endeavor, and I have never thought that I knew it all in any category or field.

I also meant what I said about not knowing beans about non-TSR DnD items. I truly know very little about them, but would like to.

Lastly, nothing you (Deadlord) said injured me in any way. Not my pride, nor my sense of knowledge. I was joking with you. Truthfully, I was being somewhat sarcastic with it, and I now feel that perhaps my writing was poor enough so that my true meaning was unclear to the reader. I shall attempt to improve on that in the future.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:32 pm 

Hi Aneoth -

I wouldn't worry paying $12 for what someone else paid two bucks for. Prices on ebay fluctuate enough for all items, but especially so for items that generally go for under $25. If Castle Thrax is worth $12 to you, then it's worth $12 - you got value for money.

As Deadlord said, when he scored Thrax for $2 he had a $22 bid lined up on it. It just needed one other person looking for a Thrax on the same day and he might have had to pay $22.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:49 pm 

FWIW - For What It's Worth

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:00 pm 

The thing about non-TSR stuff is that it has a very wide margin of pricing, and unless you know what something is and how rare it is, it is difficult to guess at what it is worth.
For example, everyone knows what Dwarven Glory is and what it usually goes for. But Kalifax, which I picked up for a couple bucks, is far rarer. In terms of $$, it is probably worth less, but I've seen about a dozen DG's and only one Kalifax in my life.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:41 pm 

OCE's, no box, with a BIN of $99.95  :? and starting bid of $64.95  :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 04876&rd=1

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:39 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:OCE's, no box, with a BIN of $99.95  :? and starting bid of $64.95  :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 04876&rd=1

*g*.

This from the man who just bid $137 on a 2nd print Boot Hill (without winning it) :P
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5928192307

(And here was us thinking $50ish for a nice copy of the rarer 1st print was getting a bit heavy.
There will be some smiling in Oz at this...).

Must admit I was relieved and happier to see that GW MM go for $103 after recent lowish prices. Seems to be very hit-and-miss, dependent on condition and advertising.

Anyone else think there's a "Burnie factor" helping some of these sales along? ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:04 am 

Yeah, that $52 for the first print is looking pretty good. But you know how it is on ebay, I've given up trying to work out 'market value' for stuff as it's too unpredictable. I just work out how much I'd be happy to pay for an item and go with that. Usually that depends a lot more on whats in the pay packet that week, and how many bills arrive with it. Some weeks I have a fair bit of spare cash, others I'm broke - it just affects whether I'm more likely to appear in the 'Fun Finds' or 'Silliest Bid' threads that week.

There's always going to be a lot of interest in Burntwire's auctions, for the same reason as sellers like Tadashie get a lot of bidders - buyers know the items are going to be in great condition. Or perhaps there's just a competition to see who will give Burnie his 1000th feedback...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:11 pm 

Harami wrote:

This from the man who just bid $137 on a 2nd print Boot Hill (without winning it)

Your right David, $137 proxy for a Boot Hill 2nd print is silly  :oops: (it was actually $136.67), and I'm glad I lost it. With myself the proxy game is something that irritates me. So many auctions have been lost in the past due to not high enough of a proxy, and someone wins it for a dollar more :x . I was hoping the higest bid would be under $100. Granted this kind of thinking/bidding could greatly overvalue an item if two or more people are on the same page like in this case. Then someone gets burned, you just hope it's not you, or like myself being a longtime collector comics, cars, rpg's etc.. you take the good with the bad. for just a many times I felt I overpaid, I've made out like a bandit too.  :D

I wonder what kinds of prices these old RPG's would command if there was open-end bidding in $5 (2 Pounds 71 ) increments with no close until the going once, twice, sold??? Talk about a heart attack on Sunday nights......

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:17 pm 

mdr003 wrote:...There's always going to be a lot of interest in Burntwire's auctions, for the same reason as sellers like Tadashie get a lot of bidders - buyers know the items are going to be in great condition....

You are absolutely right. I have Tadashie listed in My E-Bay as a favorite seller. Exactly for the reasons you stated. High quality, quantity, and dependable service. No rip offs from Tadashie, guaranteed. I know it will arrive in the condition stated. Just as it has always been in the past. Once a seller provides me with exceptional service, I tend to stay with that seller whenever possible. If they have what I am looking for, then they will get my bids. I have purchased 7 low priced adventure Modules from Tadashie just this week, and I am bidding actively on several others.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 107123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 105106107