Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 107123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 105106107
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:33 pm 

makes my own personal collection look like its worth a lot more then it is or ever will be.......

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:40 am 

this doesn't quite full under silly auction price, but i just love the auction description.  not only is this I6 rare, it also seems to be "HOT"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5927743763

-dave

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:23 pm 

Either I'm missing something, or my auction here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT deserves a mention in this thread.

I didn't expect to get half this much for the issue.  Does it normally go this high? (And if any of you are bidding on it, thanks)

Carl

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:56 pm 

I have 4 copies of issue #6 I've picked up in lots over the years (paid about $2 each), and I recintly won issue #1 in mint for $28. Your guess is as good as mine as to why it's that high of a bidding war.

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:12 am 

The less welcome side of stuff being dug out of people's archives, owing to anniversary coverage...

"Celebrate 30 years of D&D by adding this book to your collection.  Outstanding artistry, great fun"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2278939994
early 9th print Wizard PHB; $99 start with $110 BIN. 8O

Erm, I'll pass.... (and on the others the seller has, too).

d.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:20 am 

Wow, did you see that sticker on the front cover? Never seen it, that must be a super rare edition of the PHB!! Now, quick, before someone else gets this first...

:roll:

Seriously: Another hot candidate for the most ridicolous auction price of this year. What leads people to believe that they'll find someone THAT stupid to buy that shit? What a moron ...

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:20 am 

Wow, I just had to message that guy.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:28 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Wow, I just had to message that guy.

Let me guess, you offered him $9 each for his super rare items?  :lol:

Be careful Frank! Did you see the scribbling on his supposedly mint DMG? Maybe he gives you a discount on that one...

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:17 am 

Hehe. I saw that too, Ralf. Amazing what people consider mint, isn't it?
The reply:

Dear eyeamgawd,

You asked:
"A hundred dollars?"

eyeamgawd, I'm sure you're an avid D&D player, so you know how much new books cost. This book was priced based on the condition, age, and demand for a collectible. However, to be honest, I am still new at pricing collectibles on eBay, so if you have a reasonable offer, I am willing to entertain it and change the price accordingly. Thank you for your interest. vr, Seat

OK, so if it was based on condition, age and demand, should I offer him my brown box for $20,000? Or is that a bit low?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:00 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:eyeamgawd, I'm sure you're an avid D&D player, so you know how much new books cost. This book was priced based on the condition, age, and demand for a collectible. However, to be honest, I am still new at pricing collectibles on eBay, so if you have a reasonable offer, I am willing to entertain it and change the price accordingly. Thank you for your interest. vr, Seat

Prices reduced across the board. $25 start, $30 BIN for the PHB.
Bargain... ermm... not.

Now, had their Deities & Demigods been Cthuloid that wouldn't have lastest long at the new price.

Deadlord36 wrote:OK, so if it was based on condition, age and demand, should I offer him my brown box for $20,000? Or is that a bit low?

Nah, I can undercut that... :)  (Not that I sell, of course!)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:47 pm 

harami2000 wrote:The less welcome side of stuff being dug out of people's archives, owing to anniversary coverage...

"Celebrate 30 years of D&D by adding this book to your collection.  Outstanding artistry, great fun"

Erm, I'll pass.... (and on the others the seller has, too).

d.

That was definitely a winner; it is a case of people assuming that age=value in all cases.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 pm 

Shingen wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

That was definitely a winner; it is a case of people assuming that age=value in all cases.

Ah, but it didn't sell...
(Or is this a separate category under "silliest auction price"? ;)).

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:58 pm 

You'll find rip-offs every once in awhile, but overall, people honestly don't know.
:oops:

I used to buy collections, as it's a great way to get people who are cleaning out their basements / kid's rooms / etc.  They have no idea what they have.

The problem I was running into was that 75% of what you get are hardcover rulebooks.  The looks on these people's faces when I told them I could pay $1-2 per book, with few exceptions, were not something I care to remember.  They:  "WTF?  I don't think you understand.  These are over 20 years old, in perfect shape."  Me:  "Oh, I do understand.  Believe me.  But -"  "Here, how about these ratty old softcovers with all the loose covers falling off?"  Me:  "Sure, I will gladly give you $4 for each one, except for B2 and X1."  They:  "What's wrong with you?  You were just saying these mint hardcovers were worth nothing ..."
:?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:19 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT

Ok...What did I miss here. I thought I was overbidding at $13 w/$6 in shipping... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:01 pm 

Nothing that I could see. The buyer will just resell them. Minicougar maybe.
I'm wondering why Castle Thrax is at $12. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, I got mine for a couple bucks a few months ago.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:46 am 

bbarsh wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEDW:IT

Ok...What did I miss here. I thought I was overbidding at $13 w/$6 in shipping... 8O

Never heard of The Riding.  Always a thrill to find a new supplement that I have never seen before.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:23 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5927880388

am i missing something in this auction?  seems a little steep for what you can find in any used book store for $6 each...

-dave

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:38 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote: I'm wondering why Castle Thrax is at $12. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, I got mine for a couple bucks a few months ago.

OK, I will tell you why. You failed to tell me what its value is before I bid on it. That is why. Please forgive my ignorance. I have now proven to all here that I am an ignoramus.

Oh boy!!! This is great! Even though I have only been posting to this forum for a week I have already learned that I may end up paying too much for Castle Thrax........  

Please give me a break. Obviously I have now proven to everyone here, that I am not as familiar with Non-TSR DnD items as you experts. So, what's strange about that?

I am willing to admit my ignorance, but I got here as soon as I could, and now that I am here, I will try to learn something occasionally. With your help, perhaps I can.

A) I am relatively new to collecting DnD, other than what I played with over the past twenty-five years or so. So, my knowledge is certainly not up to par with yours and even most of you other ole' timers in this forum. Most of my information (Especially for Non-TSR items) comes through reading, looking on this and other web sites, checking auctions on E-Bay, reading description on items even if I have no intention of bidding on them, just to find out what the item is. And from this site, I learn some of what the wise and far more experienced folks offer up in their writings in the forums.

Of course, since most of my DnD knowledge comes from either my long years of playing experience, or E-Bay, or the Acaeum, then what is not listed here is not likely to be known to me at all. So, I must try to fumble about, hoping not to get burned too often.

B) I have never seen Castle Thrax, and not being familiar with it or the scenario, or its availability, I thought it might be interesting enough to use in a campaign to think that 12 bucks is not too much for it. (And I still don't)

If I had known all there is to know to know, then rest assured I would have saved my 12 bucks for something less expensive... or perhaps more expensive.

OK, the sarcasm spell components are now being carefully placed back in my bag of spell components....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ACAEUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly do appreciate all the information that can be found here. And I also appreciate all the hard work you web site folks do to keep this place up and running.

And Dead, or eyeamgod, thanks for your instruction too.  :lol:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 107123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 105106107