Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 10712, 3, 4 ... 105106107
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:46 pm 

Man I wish I had some shrinkwrapped shit to sell!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:13 am 

As a collector of 1978-1982 shrinkwraps, I've butted heads with Pitttbulll before - there's really no point in counter-bidding him, unless you really like the seller and want to give them a "bonus" while you lose the auction.
:?

Someone who's willing to pay $178.50 for a sealed T1-4 is not to be trifled with!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:42 am 

Maybe pitttbull is Brad Pitt, whomever he/she is there's tons of money in that bank account.  I say make 'em pay through the nose!  When there's an item I really want and I know I'm going to be outbid then I make sure the person I lost to feels the effect on their wallet.   

I think burntwire _perhaps_ uses a strategy like pitttbull's based on comments here.  Potential bidders see that he has bid on an item and just give up without placing a bid.  They figure they will lose anyway so they don't even try, and the guy with supposed deeppockets gets the item for a cheaper price.  It's a smart bidding strategy so kudos to both of them!  Discouraging potential bidders by having a perceived bottomless pit of money is an old auction strategy.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:08 pm 

LOT OF AD & D MODULES L1 L2 L3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

So how high is this one going to go so cougarrinard can keep the L3 market under his control?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:26 pm 

I don't usually get put off if I see one of the perceived big guns of collecting bidding on an item I'm interested in. I know I'm 99% likely to lose the auction, but I go ahead and bid how much I'm willing to pay anyway. And every now and again it turns out to be more than the other guy.

I remember collecting Dragon magazines last year, and was buying issues in the 10-25 range. Normally they would sell for say $5-10 each, sometimes up to $20 for a NM copy... but everytime one came up another user would bid in the last minute and win the issue. I don't remember the username, but I do know I got so frustrated in being beaten everytime I decided to see how high the guy was prepared to go - so on one issue (#18 maybe?) I saw his bid with 60 seconds left, and I bid $67 in the final seconds - and it still wasn't enough.

I know I've paid more than what an item is really worth a couple of times, for stuff that I really want - but it's pretty rare. How some people are able to do it as a bidding strategy mystifies me.

Speaking of Cougarrinard, I've been after copies of modules H1 & H3 for a while, but I refuse to pay the sort of money he thinks they're worth. And he seems to acquire all copies from other sellers... but yesterday I managed to get my hands on an H3 that he obviously didn't see - for $15.59. It's not often I get what I consider a 'bargain', so I was very pleased.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:54 pm 

"It's a smart bidding strategy so kudos to both of them! Discouraging potential bidders by having a perceived bottomless pit of money is an old auction strategy."

I completely disagree that this strategy is smart.  It's only smart if you're filthy rich, totally impatient and need everything immediately.  There are just way too many bidders out there who have no clue who they're going up against and therefore bid in good faith regardless of who has bid before them.  It may discourage a few knowledgeable bidders but over the long haul this strategy is costing them waaaaaaay more $ than it should to complete their collections because other knowledgeable bidders resent this kind of bidding behavior and "bid up" items on them to try to teach them a lesson.   I know I have "bid up" a few items I never intended to win just to discourage a particular a-hole from repeatedly buying the same friggin' thing I've been trying to get for months.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:11 pm 

myalbinogorilla wrote:I completely disagree that this strategy is smart.  It's only smart if you're filthy rich, totally impatient and need everything immediately.  There are just way too many bidders out there who have no clue who they're going up against and therefore bid in good faith regardless of who has bid before them.  It may discourage a few knowledgeable bidders but over the long haul this strategy is costing them waaaaaaay more $ than it should to complete their collections because other knowledgeable bidders resent this kind of bidding behavior and "bid up" items on them to try to teach them a lesson.   I know I have "bid up" a few items I never intended to win just to discourage a particular a-hole from repeatedly buying the same friggin' thing I've been trying to get for months.

I agree that is exactly what everyone should do.  If you want to kill the big fish then bid up the items they continuously covet higher and higher, then eventually this will start to hurt their bottom line, especially if they're resellers.  But it seems some bidders, perhaps even on this board, just give hope when they see a big fish bidding.  IMO, that's unfortunate.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:53 pm 

Bidding up is admirable, and most of us have done or still do it. It doesn't irk me when people pay a lot for an item, but when they already have one and hurl an insane amount of $$ at the same item, it smacks of denying someone else. A few people here do that. Let's face it, ALL of us will sell off sooner or later, and the fools who overpay lose in the end.
The true collectors know that patience is the key. Sooner or later, EVERYTHING shows up. Wait long enough, and you'll get a bargain.
BTW, just to make everyone feel better, years ago I bought Infernax, Necromican, 2nd print Dwarven Glory and Misty Isles from Cougarretard. $150 for the lot. Shipped! Of course, now that he knows what non-TSR items can go for, he would probably charge $1,500. Plus shipping.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:42 pm 

AD&D L3 * DEEP DWARVEN DELVE * VERY RARE!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

About 11 1/2 hours left, and it's currently at $36.00  8O .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:57 pm 

Sweet... I just bought the whole 25th anniversary set in Shrink for 24.95 (buy it now).  I didn't have one of these (I still haven't ripped the shrink yet since I see it as great trade fodder).

I should send a link to my winning bid to all these guys bidding on L3.

Heh Heh... Great to be an 'insider'.  Although I can't claim that I've never gotten caught up in the bidding frenzy.

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:03 pm 

Sweet... I just bought the whole 25th anniversary set in Shrink for 24.95 (buy it now). I didn't have one of these (I still haven't ripped the shrink yet since I see it as great trade fodder).

When I bought my set is was also in the shrink and about the same price.  Might have to keep an eye out for an extra L3 if they keep going this way  :twisted:

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:43 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

burntire got bitten by pitttbulll

Rhea should do quite well with pitttbulll bidding!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:51 pm 

Yeah.. I was going to go 40... but that's kind of my budget for these things....

Who's Pitbull.. is he on here?  I kinda have to root for Burnie if no one else on the board is bidding or winning. :)

I'm still waiting for someone to call dibs.  So far.. the only thing i REALLY wanted was the game Burnie lost on...

The other stuff so far isn't that exciting... COOL, but not 'exciting'.  The TSR memorbilia is neat... but... I ain't going to go there because down that path is only woe and suffering.  I'm stilling to D&D modules and cool fantasy boardgames.

-------------------------------------------------

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:42 pm 

yes, he has bit and won quite a few, he's even bought off burnie recently, so he should know who he/she is...

lets see how my bank balance holds up:(

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:18 pm 

Yeah, pitttbulll has bought from me a couple of times. . . I guess it's not appropriate to give out his name and though. . .

He did "Buy it Now" a mint black cover Monstrous Manual for $24.00 though!  

That made my day.   :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:28 pm 

He did it again: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1

Dathon, I thought you said you quit collecting Licensed TSR material???

Rhea is making good money there and all because it's shrinkwrapped. The items from Rhea's current auctions are all in a very good shape. Quite ideal.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:46 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:He did it again: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1

Dathon, I thought you said you quit collecting Licensed TSR material???

I have, but this one looked pretty cool.  I collect TSR minis and this one had wood ones so I was game.  I don't do plastic however, which is one of the other main reasons why I'm auctioning off the Orc War set and the Castle.  
I wasn't heartbroken about getting beat on the diorama set.  If they were  metal, I would have gone over $100.  I completely missed the Lance boardgame.  I would have gone to $100 on that item if I had caught it.  I wonder how high pitttbulll was going.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:00 pm 

Do you have knowledge on the values of D&D and AD&D miniatures? It would be interesting to see some appraisal on old Minifigs or Grenadier miniatures. Also, it seems that certain sets in very good condition might be worth $100+ ...

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 10712, 3, 4 ... 105106107