Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 107123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 105106107
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:28 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Budget is a little lower than 4K, still very nice copies and both of them will not go cheap.

A little?? :lol:

*writes Jeff on one and Jeff on the other* :P

But which one to bid on?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:29 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
harami2000 wrote:
A little?? :lol:

*writes Jeff on one and Jeff on the other* :P

But which one to bid on?

how much will they go for? i imagine these are valued similar to ST1 then?

*sorry pleading quite a bit of ignorance on this item*

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:48 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

I imagine between $900 - $1100 as per the Acauem price list.  :D

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:20 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I imagine between $900 - $1100 as per the Acauem price list. :D

Please no guessing competition again! *vbeg*

Looks like everyone overshot last time ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:I imagine between $900 - $1100 as per the Acauem price list. :D

Please no guessing competition again! *vbeg*

Looks like everyone overshot last time ;)

Peoples wallets are getting worn out this close to Christmas.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:36 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

I imagine between $900 - $1100 as per the Acauem price list. :D

J

hmmmm well over what i can afford really. dont think i want one THAT much! :D

at least not yet anyway :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:58 pm 

You know, I think that they should make a law against dropping acid and then listing auctions on EBay:

Dungeon Board Game TSR | eBay

:roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:06 pm 

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... T&rd=1

This belongs in the thread simply because I'm quite sure none of the other bidders knew what they were bidding on...

Hint:  It's not a 5th printing...if only I had 100 pounds or more to burn. :(

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:10 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... T&rd=1

This belongs in the thread simply because I'm quite sure none of the other bidders knew what they were bidding on...

Hint: It's not a 5th printing...if only I had 100 pounds or more to burn. :(

Speaking of which, I was kind of hoping to see you come back over the top on that RPGA3 auction that just ended a little bit ago.  :)  If I would have known that you werent, I would have coinsidered a snipe. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:14 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... T&rd=1

Speaking of which, I was kind of hoping to see you come back over the top on that RPGA3 auction that just ended a little bit ago. :) If I would have known that you werent, I would have coinsidered a snipe. :wink:

Yeah, sorry about that B.  I was considering it up to the last minute, but I got the feeling these folks weren't going to let up no matter how far I pushed 'em.  I'm seriously considering a moratorium on bidding until the new year, when people regain their senses...  :roll:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:28 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:This belongs in the thread simply because I'm quite sure none of the other bidders knew what they were bidding on...

Are you saying this is the long lost 4th minus?  Or a 4th?  I'm at a loss here.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:51 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:This belongs in the thread simply because I'm quite sure none of the other bidders knew what they were bidding on...

Are you saying this is the long lost 4th minus? Or a 4th? I'm at a loss here.

Well, I'm saying that it is what we've tenatively termed a "5A", which predates the 5th, and postdates the 4th minus.  It is remotely possible that it is also the long lost stated "4th", if we've got that one ever so slightly wrong...and would explain why we can't find one.  I certainly can't confirm that with the available info, though.  I'm pretty sure 4th minus is not missing...but Harami's the best one to clarify that, anyway.

To date, one 5A copy is absolutely known to exist (about 10' to my left, in fact), and two others are believed so (johnhuck recalled that he had one, and I saw a blurry copy on eBay that looked like one).  We don't have those in our hot little hands to confirm/compare.  This is the first copy I've seen on eBay that I can say with confidence is a 5A. ;)  There are enough significant differences between 5A/5th in the text, printing process, cover & layout to classify it separately.

This auction clears up a few points:  it's not a test print, and it came with reference sheets & a box like any other printing.  I thought we had a bunch of threads with me rambling on about this already, but I can't find them at the moment...  :?

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Well, I'm saying that it is what we've tenatively termed a "5A", which predates the 5th, and postdates the 4th minus. It is remotely possible that it is also the long lost stated "4th", if we've got that one ever so slightly wrong...and would explain why we can't find one. I certainly can't confirm that with the available info, though. I'm pretty sure 4th minus is not missing...but Harami's the best one to clarify that, anyway.

To date, one 5A copy is absolutely known to exist (about 10' to my left, in fact), and two others are believed so (johnhuck recalled that he had one, and I saw a blurry copy on eBay that looked like one). We don't have those in our hot little hands to confirm/compare. This is the first copy I've seen on eBay that I can say with confidence is a 5A. ;) There are enough significant differences between 5A/5th in the text, printing process, cover & layout to classify it separately.

This auction clears up a few points: it's not a test print, and it came with reference sheets & a box like any other printing. I thought we had a bunch of threads with me rambling on about this already, but I can't find them at the moment... :?

Wow, very cool.  How did you discern all of that from the auction?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:13 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Wow, very cool. How did you discern all of that from the auction?

Having a reference copy helps, of course. ;)  Hopefully this won't lead to a run on them if another shows, as a lot more work needs to be done before anything I've said should be taken as gospel.  But to answer your question:

There are a few minor cover differences that are discernable in the picture, assuming you're looking for them.  (The seller was kind enough to send me additional photos, which certainly helped confirm the matter!)

If you look carefully at the auction photo, you'll note the only obvious one -- the bottom of the GK logo on Vol. 2 (and only Vol. 2, so it was a stroke of luck that that volume was in front) is truncated -- the bottom tips of the K are missing completely.

The next detail is a grid-like "canvas paper" texture rather than a cracked leather texture, but this is impossible to detect in most photos.  

Finally, and most unusually, the logo has less wear.  As the printings went on, the logo accumulated blotches and spots from printing to printing, which did not get fixed.  This is also impossible to detect from the auction photo.  The 5A has virtually no blotching on the logos, which is really, really odd.  And that's just the cover.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:23 pm 

Heh. Was very sucky having a whole host of UK bidders ramping up the price on that for no good reason. Told ya that might happen, Deimos :(

Alas, I couldn't really justify £100 on a sauce-spattered 5A set, even for research; and certainly didn't help to have picked up a 4th(-) with 1st print Blackmoor, Eldritch and GK 2nd Greyhawk for under £60 as a benchmark ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8730226591 )
Was still sorely tempted, but resisted (only just).

Badly need to check out how consistent those minor typesetting points are, but yes should pre-date the main 5th printing run from your observations. Thanks again! :)
(The current 4th is still a total red-herring as far as I'm concerned: no books known to exist w/o the cover price, but with the 4th print imprint).

As to why those 5As have so far been mostly found outwith the US, I don't know... :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:51 pm 

Dungeon Master Screen | eBay

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:10 pm 

Good lord someone snarfed down too many insanity peppers on geo's mono shrinks:

search-completed.ebay.com/search/search ... amp;fsoo=1

Some of them went for almost as much as the R's!!

Maybe I should throw a few up and pay for my Fazzle that way....

Maybe not, I'd probably only get $10 each...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:11 pm 

a2jeff wrote:Good lord someone snarfed down too many insanity peppers on geo's mono shrinks:

search-completed.ebay.com/search/search ... amp;fsoo=1

Some of them went for almost as much as the R's!!

Maybe I should throw a few up and pay for my Fazzle that way....

Maybe not, I'd probably only get $10 each...

Well, seeing those prices makes me glad I didnt even bother to put in snipes on them. :roll:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 107123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 105106107