Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 107123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 105106107
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:17 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Geez, and I actually had the audacity to place a snipe for like $69+ :roll: What a joke.

Higher than my snipe... :oops:

Think I'll spend it on that coverless PotVQ instead. *jk*
(Good guess on the bidding, btw, Brian!)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:11 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote:$225 with 30 minutes to go. :lol:

That newbie bidder sure has expensive tastes... :D
(Or else they're "worried" about our high-fliers going for the win, at any price ;))

Geez, and I actually had the audacity to place a snipe for like $69+ :roll:  What a joke.

I bid $50.00 and thought I had a chance!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:21 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Later Greyhawk folio SW'd;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8707845164
Yes, it's a sweet copy, but.... $130 and counting with nearly 3 days to go. :?

(What d'ya think, Mike <improv>?)

Gee... and I thought I spent too much on my recent aquisition  :lol:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWN:IT

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:24 pm 

improvstone wrote:Gee... and I thought I spent too much on my recent aquisition :lol:

I thought so, too! ;)

Well, I don't know whether that latest one was a genuine sale or not, but I'd sure like to know whether it gets entered into the realisations (/"valuation") database.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:08 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
improvstone wrote:Gee... and I thought I spent too much on my recent aquisition :lol:

I thought so, too! ;)

Well, I don't know whether that latest one was a genuine sale or not, but I'd sure like to know whether it gets entered into the realisations (/"valuation") database.

Pretty sure it would, but we tend to focus on the rares.  I don't think that a late print folio is going to get updated very often.  ;)  But if we start discriminating against crazy bidders, that quickly becomes an extremely fine line. *cough* ST1 *cough*  :lol:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:29 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Pretty sure it would, but we tend to focus on the rares. I don't think that a late print folio is going to get updated very often. ;) But if we start discriminating against crazy bidders, that quickly becomes an extremely fine line. *cough* ST1 *cough* :lol:

I can understand private sales not being included but to exclude any of the eBay sales no matter how silly would skew the figures in a false direction rather than the direction the market has taken.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:41 pm 

improvstone wrote:I can understand private sales not being included but to exclude any of the eBay sales no matter how silly would skew the figures in a false direction rather than the direction the market has taken.

Presuming all sales are genuine, yes; otherwise it wouldn't be an "eBay average".

But then, there are plenty of other skew factors, such as multiple item lots not being included.
...Am sure it's still a can of worms even when trying to adopt a "simple" approach.

p.s. Yes, I had noticed. Didn't think you had any wall space left, though! :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:43 pm 

improvstone wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Pretty sure it would, but we tend to focus on the rares. I don't think that a late print folio is going to get updated very often. ;) But if we start discriminating against crazy bidders, that quickly becomes an extremely fine line. *cough* ST1 *cough* :lol:

I can understand private sales not being included but to exclude any of the eBay sales no matter how silly would skew the figures in a false direction rather than the direction the market has taken.

That is only true to a certain extent IMO. You cant allow one sale, particularly on a pretty common item,  to determine where the market is going.  I am by no means saying that we should not include this particular sale, but I think someone would have a valid case for excluding it. To give an example of what I mean, lets say 2 newbies get into a ridiculous bidding war over an old beat up B2 so that it goes for over $100.00, that surely does not mean that the market for B2s is now on a huge upswing from its current $2 value, it just means that 2 idiots got into a bidding war over it and it is a complete abberation.  This greyhawk folio auction is certainly closer to being an abberation than it is to the market for it being on an upswing. Just my $.02 :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
improvstone wrote:

That is only true to a certain extent IMO. You cant allow one sale, particularly on a pretty common item, to determine where the market is going. I am by no means saying that we should not include this particular sale, but I think someone would have a valid case for excluding it. To give an example of what I mean, lets say 2 newbies get into a ridiculous bidding war over an old beat up B2 so that it goes for over $100.00, that surely does not mean that the market for B2s is now on a huge upswing from its current $2 value, it just means that 2 idiots got into a bidding war over it and it is a complete abberation. This greyhawk folio auction is certainly closer to being an abberation than it is to the market for it being on an upswing. Just my $.02 :)

But surely you are averaging the results... therefore on 100 sales of B2s one over the top price will not have a huge impact??

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:56 pm 

improvstone wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
That is only true to a certain extent IMO. You cant allow one sale, particularly on a pretty common item, to determine where the market is going. I am by no means saying that we should not include this particular sale, but I think someone would have a valid case for excluding it. To give an example of what I mean, lets say 2 newbies get into a ridiculous bidding war over an old beat up B2 so that it goes for over $100.00, that surely does not mean that the market for B2s is now on a huge upswing from its current $2 value, it just means that 2 idiots got into a bidding war over it and it is a complete abberation. This greyhawk folio auction is certainly closer to being an abberation than it is to the market for it being on an upswing. Just my $.02 :)

But surely you are averaging the results... therefore on 100 sales of B2s one over the top price will not have a huge impact??

There is an average being used that is also based on what the items condition is in the formula. Giving a simple example and not using condition to base a value. Lets say you track 50 B2s to a sum of $150.00. At that point the average B2 based on 50 auctions is currently $3.00. Now lets take that number and figure in the B2 that goes for over $100.00 lets say it goes for $110. Using that figure you now have 51 B2s at a total of $310.00, which now means the average goes from $3.00 all the way up to $6.08. That one auction alone, if it is included, has caused the average B2 price to increase by more than 100%.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:08 pm 

(And a BIN is a "valid" sale, too, no? Even if it's $10 for a Character Archaic...)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:24 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(And a BIN is a "valid" sale, too, no? Even if it's $10 for a Character Archaic...)

Never should have posted that one  8)

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:30 pm 

*looks at the PotVQ auction and keels off the chair!!!!*

well surely that will adjust the value of that one :D

***walks away whistling nothing in particular***

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:33 pm 

Just as an aside. Does anyone think the auction price for the Misty Isles is getting hurt by the PotVQ being listed at the same time?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:41 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:*looks at the PotVQ auction and keels off the chair!!!!*

well surely that will adjust the value of that one :D

***walks away whistling nothing in particular***

Yup, just a tad more than you paid, Al... :D

I still prefer the reassurance of the not-so-easy-to-photocopy black folder!

aside: I forgot to ask in a timely manner 'bout whether "House Copy" was on the shrink or the cover sheet, not that that really matters to me! :oops: Did anyone find out?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:41 pm 

Marlith wrote:Just as an aside. Does anyone think the auction price for the Misty Isles is getting hurt by the PotVQ being listed at the same time?

i wouldnt have thought so. if i could afford it, i would bid for both :D

but i have a PotVQ so dont really need another, tho i would like a misty isles....just cant afford to bid right now as my funds are depleted :)

just for now mind .....  :wink:

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:26 pm 

Marlith wrote:Just as an aside. Does anyone think the auction price for the Misty Isles is getting hurt by the PotVQ being listed at the same time?

Um I guess not!!! 8O Shit and here I was thinking I actually had a chance once again. :roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:26 pm 

No, alas not.... :(

(Congrats, Jeff)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 107123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 105106107