Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 73 of 97123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 959697
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 21, 2020
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:50 am 
 

mdr003 wrote:I think auctions such as this one highlight the main problem with the valuation process - which is that the pool of items, and the pool of buyers, is simply not large enough to be statistically relevant.



I don't know much about statistics, but I would think that to plot a trend and estimate future trends, your sample size must be a certain size. For items like the character sheets, ST1, a bunch of others - the number in existance, and the number of people willing to bid, is just too small.



Look at today's auction - if either Gygax or A2jeff decided not to bid, the final price is $280 - a 40% drop. That's just one person missing the auction, or having his snipe missed because of a PC error. And now A2jeff has a copy, will it mean the next auction won't go to $449 - because one of the two people who got it to that level is no longer in the market?



Of course with so few items in existance, it's hard to set a standard. I was willing to bid more on this lot than I would have on another similar lot, just because it was coming from the original designer.



I don't know what the answer is. My opinion is that the current process used here at the Acaeum is the best possible under the circumstances - it records sale prices for all rare and semi-rare items, and is a good indication on what you could expect the item to fetch in the future. But don't be surprised by wild fluctuations because of the pool size.



Anyhow. I rarely look at the price index at the Acaeum before deciding what to bid (I rarely bid on the rares anyway so its somewhat of a moot point). I decide whats its worth to me, and bid accordingly.



Regards



Mike




Very well put. But I have this haunting feeling that the higher end prices are being held up by a very few bidders. What happens in 10-15 years when they are gone? Look what happened to the comic book market in the last decade. Collectors fell off in droves, now you can buy an entire series for pennies on the dollar. To make matters worse, there were far more collectors/readers of comic books than our little D&D niche. I know it is not a great comparison, but there it is anyway.



That is really the only thing that bothers me about the high $ rares. If I want to dump them in 15 years, will there be a market, or will I just have a bunch of useless old D&D items that no one cares about. I don't need to make money off them, but I don't want to lose my shirt either. Its not like I am likely to hand them down to my kids or anything like that.



I do think that the D&D collector market is in its golden age right now. Prices on numerous not-so-rare items are at all-time highs compared to just three years ago. Will it continue? I doubt it. It is just a case of 30-40 year-old gamers hitting our stride economically and shelling out larger amounts of cash to fulfill our desire to relive the glory days through collecting. Spending $100 on something today is simply alot easier for many of us now than it was when we were 20 - even after adjusting for inflation. So what happens when we quit collecting? Are there enough members of a younger generation to fill the gap? I am not so sure.



I know it is hobby, but it can be an expensive hobby. Just think about dropping $2000 in a solid mutual fund for 15 years. Will that ST1 compare? No freaking way.


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 245
Joined: Apr 24, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2008
Location: Georgia, USA

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:29 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
Reindeergamez wrote:


We must think alike, I had a snipe set for $212.12 and it didn't even get a chance to go off. :?




And here I was wondering if I was acting stupid for bidding over $200.00 on a book of 20 Character Record Sheets. I can say one thing for sure though, if I hit the feckin lottery tommorow for a 10 million dollars, I am not paying $450.00 for character record sheets.






I wish I could say that I WAS personally willing to pay $200.00 for char. sheets, but I was proxy bidding for a local old coot who doesn't do the ebay thing.  If I know him he would have re-sold it via consignment for a huge profit anyway so no big loss on this end.  =)

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 210
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 25, 2018
Location: Northeast

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:25 am 
 

Good thoughts on the topic.  I agree the price is a little higher than I expected it would go for, but would have paid more for this particular copy.  As was previously stated, a mint copy from the designer is extraordinarily rare....especially on an item that most often has missing pages, extensive writing, and plenty of use.  I've been wanting one of these for a while too!



In terms of valuations, I disagree the market will bottom out.  On the contrary, I believe once our generation hits retirement, with more time on our hands, there will be plenty of campaigns and adventures to be had.  I certainly look forward to it!  Having said that, IMHO there's plenty of market fuel for the next 40-50 years.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:27 pm 
 

bbarsh wrote:But I have this haunting feeling that the higher end prices are being held up by a very few bidders. What happens in 10-15 years when they are gone? Look what happened to the comic book market in the last decade. Collectors fell off in droves, now you can buy an entire series for pennies on the dollar. To make matters worse, there were far more collectors/readers of comic books than our little D&D niche. I know it is not a great comparison, but there it is anyway.




Yup, that's my feeling as well. Guys my age grew up with 2nd Edition, not 1st, and not many will have any interest in collecting stuff that has no nostalgic value to them.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:49 pm 
 

GraysonAC wrote:
bbarsh wrote:But I have this haunting feeling that the higher end prices are being held up by a very few bidders. What happens in 10-15 years when they are gone? Look what happened to the comic book market in the last decade. Collectors fell off in droves, now you can buy an entire series for pennies on the dollar. To make matters worse, there were far more collectors/readers of comic books than our little D&D niche. I know it is not a great comparison, but there it is anyway.




Yup, that's my feeling as well. Guys my age grew up with 2nd Edition, not 1st, and not many will have any interest in collecting stuff that has no nostalgic value to them.




I suspect that the market will eventually drop off, but Jeff does make a good point about when that might happen. I do agree that folks young enough to grow up on 2nd edition & now 3rd edition will not be nearly as likely to want 1st edition stuff, however, you have to also take into the condideration that the average 1st edition collectors age ranges anywhere from the ages 28 to 42. I think that you can count on the fact that a lot of folks in that range will not suddenly lose interest as they get older. I imagine some of them will, but not everyone. With that there will be a small influx of younger folks who do get into the collecting of 1st edition stuff, probably enough to compensate for folks losing interest. That being said though as time goes on though in 30 to 40 years(look at EGG, Frank and many of the creators pof the game who still actively play & collect, most who are now in their 50's & 60's and some cases their 70's), the mortality rate will eventually really start to take its toll on those who collect these items, and that IMHO will be where the hobby starts to see a decrease in value per the times(i.e inflation, cost of living, economic conditions, etc. taken into account versus what the current values of the time are at that point). Just my 2 coppers. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:55 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:...IMHO will be where the hobby starts to see a decrease in value per the times(i.e inflation, cost of living, economic conditions, etc. taken into account versus what the current values of the time are at that point). Just my 2 coppers. :)




That's one way to look at it.  The other way is that prices of some or all items will decline under such a scenario, making them all the more affordable for those of us who collect these things without an eye toward how much money they might be worth.  :wink:   If I can hold on that long, maybe then I'll be able to fill in the holes in my collection that are currently EATING AWAY AT MY SOUL LIKE A RAVENOUS ACID-TONGUED HARPIE!!...ahem, excuse me...

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 563
Joined: Aug 08, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 05, 2020
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:47 pm 
 

bbarsh wrote:Very well put. But I have this haunting feeling that the higher end prices are being held up by a very few bidders. What happens in 10-15 years when they are gone? Look what happened to the comic book market in the last decade. Collectors fell off in droves, now you can buy an entire series for pennies on the dollar. To make matters worse, there were far more collectors/readers of comic books than our little D&D niche. I know it is not a great comparison, but there it is anyway.




It's true that the high-end prices are driven by a very few hard core collectors with deep pockets. So few, you could probably name them individually (I seem to recall a thread some time ago which did exactly that). I'm not sure I see a dramatic falling off in value though, even in 10-15 years. Think back even 2-3 years ago, and compare the 'big names' in collecting to those today - many will be the same, but some (eg Burntwire?) will have decided to cut down collecting, or even sell off - perhaps because they have a change of interest, or they now have everything they want. But others spring up to take their place regularly - using the membership of the Acaeum as a guide, there seems to be a pretty constant stream of new members, who find the site, read up on the rares and become hooked.



I never played OD&D - my first taste of the game was in 1978/79 with the basic set, followed closely by a move to AD&D. Yet the attraction of OD&D supplements & accessories is much stronger than anything else, because it is the original edition. I suspect that as each new wave of collectors hits their collecting drive (in their 30's/40's, lots of disposable income), a small fraction will research the game and become hooked. Not many to be sure, but it only takes a handful and the premium prices will continue.



Regards



Mike

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:06 pm 
 

WoM with damp stain/rub on front cover (+ 1 other); $270

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5245500966



@ Brian; yup... ;)





(at least you got one at long last, Mike... saw ya hanging around here, waiting! ^^)

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:WoM with damp stain/rub on front cover (+ 1 other); $270

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5245500966



@ Brian; yup... ;)





(at least you got one at long last, Mike... saw ya hanging around here, waiting! ^^)


Heh, anyone want to sell me one for less than $200.00. :) I pay quickly. :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:12 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:Heh, anyone want to sell me one for less than $200.00. :) I pay quickly. :wink:


Careful, <Traveller> might take you up on that offer. (IIRC who had that "not-quite-so-good" copy ;)).



You might have picked up that latest one on eBay cheaper had you not become "involved" in the bidding and caused <lofenloc> to throw another $100 into the ring...

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 563
Joined: Aug 08, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 05, 2020
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:22 pm 
 

Yeah, I should be working but it's easy to be distracted.



It was a hard decision - originally when I saw the auction I had decided that the two books were worth $250 to me (that Heritage book can be hard to find, and will generally fetch $40 or so). The small water stain on WoM didn't bother me too much - I'm not super fussy on condition - as long as there is no rips or writing, or more than light wear, I'll be happy.



I did have moments of misgiving when I saw the discussion that at $265 it was overpriced, and almost decided to give it away. But knowing that Lofenloc's bid was at his maximum and a couple of dollars more would snag it was too much temptation for me. No regrets though, I'm satisfied with the price.



Plus as you say, I've been after a copy for years and I was in the same boat as Brian - money burning a hole in my pocket which I had to get rid of, after missing the Archaic.



NB, did you see the Nomad Gods that went through a couple of hours ago? 113 pounds, for a copy in very good condition (complete, no wear and half-punched).

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 pm 
 

mdr003 wrote:Yeah, I should be working but it's easy to be distracted.



It was a hard decision - originally when I saw the auction I had decided that the two books were worth $250 to me (that Heritage book can be hard to find, and will generally fetch $40 or so). The small water stain on WoM didn't bother me too much - I'm not super fussy on condition - as long as there is no rips or writing, or more than light wear, I'll be happy.


*nods*. Agreed: and am even less "picky" on condition here, for the scarcer items.

However, it's still no fun bidding against other people who might've read "very good condition with no tears or marks" and taken that as gospel without bothering to look closely or ask questions. :?

And annoying when the seller says they'll mention the fault on the listing, then decides otherwise.



mdr003 wrote:I did have moments of misgiving when I saw the discussion that at $265 it was overpriced, and almost decided to give it away. But knowing that Lofenloc's bid was at his maximum and a couple of dollars more would snag it was too much temptation for me. No regrets though, I'm satisfied with the price.


I presume you pinned it pretty much at $270-275 just to make sure there were no "accidents"?



mdr003 wrote:Plus as you say, I've been after a copy for years and I was in the same boat as Brian - money burning a hole in my pocket which I had to get rid of, after missing the Archaic.


;)

You were a bit more controlled about that! (sorry, Brian ;))



(I wonder how Deimos is going to "let off steam"... hrrr... :()



Now, in an ideal world the seller will offer to reduce the final price by $50 for failing to note that waterstain/rub fault! :o



=

mdr003 wrote:NB, did you see the Nomad Gods that went through a couple of hours ago? 113 pounds, for a copy in very good condition (complete, no wear and half-punched).


No; totally missed that. I don't run the search often enough, sorry. :(

Looks like you were on top of things, "just in case".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5245467090

Four high bids still outstanding from the winner(!) and <uzuztroll> beaten by a wide margin.



=

Back to work & looking forward to the "new arrival"? :P

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:47 pm 
 

Not feeling very good about the WoM right now. :x Still will gladly pay $200.00 for one if anyone has an extra hanging around or one that they no longer have a use for.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:13 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:(I wonder how Deimos is going to "let off steam"... hrrr... :()


Ah, I'm over it.   :wink:



I'll save the steam for US sellers that stubbornly refuse to ship to Canada.  :roll:  Those folk are truly demon-spawn.

 YIM  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:15 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:Not feeling very good about the WoM right now. :x Still will gladly pay $200.00 for one if anyone has an extra hanging around or one that they no longer have a use for.


*checks to make sure you're feeling OK; hoping that a nice BIN might appear on eBay soonish*



Yeah, is a choice between paying ~$75 over the odds (my reckoning, not Mike's) or waiting/hoping...

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:25 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:(I wonder how Deimos is going to "let off steam"... hrrr... :()


Ah, I'm over it.  :wink:


$17.50 * 2... :?



(Well, OK, might've been a bit of a nuisance had you won two at $17 each and missed the third; but would still have been two down...

Keep on hunting).



deimos3428 wrote:I'll save the steam for US sellers that stubbornly refuse to ship to Canada. :roll: Those folk are truly demon-spawn.


Still miffed about 1814 or something? Dunno...

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 636
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:01 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:(I wonder how Deimos is going to "let off steam"... hrrr... :()


Ah, I'm over it.  :wink:



I'll save the steam for US sellers that stubbornly refuse to ship to Canada. :roll: Those folk are truly demon-spawn.




What's worse are US sellers who don't want to ship to the US because I'm in Canada.  



My confirmed paypal address is in Canada and I can understand why he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of cross-border shipping and is only comfortable shipping to a confirmed paypal address.  However, my wife has a US paypal account with a confirmed US address and he doesn't want her to pay she didn't win the auction.  I can't think of any legitimate reason why the person who wins an auction has to be the person who pays for it, nor could I find any Ebay/Palpal rules, policies or guidelines that prohibit or discourage such a practice, but I'm waiting to see what his reasoning is.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:25 am 
 

Hadn't spotted the final price on this one.



What were you resellers up to and/or did you think you could turn a profit on this? Just curious... ;)



$91; Late OCE, presumably beat-up box; bends, creases and (minor?) stains on books and ref sheets; similar Chainmail

eBay.com Item Bid History

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:59 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:

Ah, I'm over it. :wink:


$17.50 * 2... :?



(Well, OK, might've been a bit of a nuisance had you won two at $17 each and missed the third; but would still have been two down...

Keep on hunting).



deimos3428 wrote:I'll save the steam for US sellers that stubbornly refuse to ship to Canada. :roll: Those folk are truly demon-spawn.


Still miffed about 1814 or something? Dunno...


I did ok.  Two down, one to go.  

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

 YIM  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:37 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

$17.50 * 2... :?



(Well, OK, might've been a bit of a nuisance had you won two at $17 each and missed the third; but would still have been two down...

Keep on hunting).





Still miffed about 1814 or something? Dunno...


I did ok. Two down, one to go.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1




Guess it is safe to say I way over payed then. Still not sure I warranted mention in the Silliest Auction Price thread though


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 73 of 97123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 959697