Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 107123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 105106107
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:03 pm 

(Those NM $148 & $143 copies are both now shown as VF. Part of the regrading process?).

bclarkie wrote:and no other 1st print MM has even come close to breaking $100.00.

Thanks for checking the records, Brian. The 1st MM is certainly one item that has been bubbling under for some time, regardless of how many copies were "stated" to have been printed.

I've paid $125 and have seen a copy offered (but not bought!) at $295.

On the Acaeum "estimated values" page, even a "Fine" copy is rated over $100.

I think the major reason for the premium on this auction was the (stated) condition which might fit in with recent trends on higher grade "rares".

(Not a trend I particularly favor since it feels like an increasingly "look, don't touch" outlook, even if that's not the full story).

bclarkie wrote:Aside: The bidder who actually won this auction won an auction a few months ago that also raised some eyebrows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5186939431

I am sure most of you remember this auction, because it had the seemingly hidden(or so me and deimos thought :oops: ) 1st print DMG in Near Mint condition. It also had a real nice condition 2nd print PHB.

Hmm... yet another overbid auction that Stephen still failed to win... :(

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:41 pm 

The one I picked up a couple of days ago cam close to the $100 mark. I don't think it is close to mint but looked to be in fairly good shape. There was something at the top and bottom of the bind and what looks like a ding on the bottom of the front cover. I may have overpaid but its the first 1st printing I have decided to see through no matter what the cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:16 pm 

Following up further on this, I lied(although not intentionally). Sorry. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The info I was going by earlier today was actually not including the most recent data that I had collected, however of the additional auctions that I did track, none come anywhere close to $285.00 either. although I did track some others that went over $100.00. There were 3 auctions that I did track for spring/early summer '05' that exceended $100.00, with auction totals of $109.46 VF, $135.03 NM, & $118.50 VF respectively. This of course explains why Fine lists for $100, however this just further proves that todays auction is out of the norm.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:20 pm 

Marlith wrote:The one I picked up a couple of days ago cam close to the $100 mark. I don't think it is close to mint but looked to be in fairly good shape. There was something at the top and bottom of the bind and what looks like a ding on the bottom of the front cover. I may have overpaid but its the first 1st printing I have decided to see through no matter what the cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

It looks like a carefully used copy.  There are dings along the base and small dings on the binding.

Probably, this copy was used but not abused and then put away.  The cover itself seems to show some signs of rubbing against other books.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:17 am 

Don't know if anyone's seen this one yet, but I offer:

2nd Edition Dungeon and Dragons Books | eBay

What a steal!!

Insert interesting and/or humorous quote here.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:42 am 

Tempting...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:47 am 

I like the line ....

Certainly a colletors item

Quick I must sell all my old stuff and get the highly collectable and rare 2nd ed.  Now all I need is to get themsignedby LW  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:48 am 

slydeshadowdart wrote:Don't know if anyone's seen this one yet, but I offer:

What a steal!!

Well, at least the seller was nice enough to offer the low rate of $16 for shipping?   :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:36 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Ahhh, the oft overlooked vice/art of book-smelling... :lol: Does that go hand-in-hand with dice-fondling?

Looks over shoulder...Are you watching me? :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:57 am 

What a steal!!

My question...

"I've been looking for these amazingly rare books for years. If you start your auction at 99 cents and put a BIN of $14.99 you might get a bidder. Although these are clearly highly valuable to you, the world is only buying the books, not your nostalgic love affair with them."

Wonder if I'll get a response?

Interesting buying history. 8O  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:05 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

What a steal!!

My question...

"I've been looking for these amazingly rare books for years. If you start your auction at 99 cents and put a BIN of $14.99 you might get a bidder. Although these are clearly highly valuable to you, the world is only buying the books, not your nostalgic love affair with them."

Ahh, nothing like a little flame through email. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  Somehow, I dont think she'll respond. :wink:

mbassoc2003 wrote:Interesting buying history. 8O :lol:

Large and kinky. 8O :P :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:10 am 

bclarkie wrote:...Somehow, I dont think she'll respond. :wink:...

Then again, I hope that I am not being too presumptious in assuming that it is a she. 8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:18 am 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Aside: The bidder who actually won this auction won an auction a few months ago that also raised some eyebrows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5186939431

I am sure most of you remember this auction, because it had the seemingly hidden(or so me and deimos thought :oops: ) 1st print DMG in Near Mint condition. It also had a real nice condition 2nd print PHB.

Hmm... yet another overbid auction that Stephen still failed to win... :(

Like I said, rapidly becoming the story of my life.

Anyway, I think one of the factors that drove up the final sales price on this auction was the statement that the seller was the original owner, and that the book had never been used.  Certainly sounds like good provenance, and would make for a minty copy.  Let's just hope the buyer isn't disappointed to find a large scrawled 11-yr old's name inside the front cover.

By the way, the near-mint 1st print MM that I picked up for $10 was obtained at Bookman's in Tucson.  I also snagged a very nice Deities & Demigods with the Chaosium acknowledgment for $10, and a 1st PHB for the same price.  That seemed to be their max price for just about all of the AD&D stuff they had in stock.  Thank you Paul (BTB), for the tip!  They had a TON of stuff, including many, many Dragons under #100.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:08 pm 

This one gave me a chuckle

Dungeons and Dragons Basic Set | eBay

Considering a $.99 "best offer"..... :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:13 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:This one gave me a chuckle

Yeah, and I wonder where those "images on the left" came from?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:25 pm 

The question....

You seem to have put $75.00 instead of $7.50 into the Buy It Now price on eBay. If you correct the error, I'll consider it.

Wonder if he'll fix his auction? :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:26 pm 

Shipping is $10, does ebay allow "Negative" best offers?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:12 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

What a steal!!

My question...

Interesting buying history. 8O :lol:

Ian, looks like your question did a little bid of damage to her confidence, as she has reduced her price considerably. It is still far from reasonable, but it is much better than it was. :lol:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 107123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 105106107