Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 73 of 107123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 105106107
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:33 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I wonder about Creep1962. Is he just a bad businessman? Is he just un-learned about gaming materials and collections.

Surely he must know that millions of gaming items were published worldwide. Surely he must know that he cannot corner such a markety simply by buying stuff on Ebay. Surely he must know that to buy dear and sell low is not good business.

Or, does he?

Truthfully, I dont think that he is trying to corner the market on anything, I just dont think he has a freaking clue on what anything is worth. Look at his bidding patterns, they make no sense what-so-ever. I think he determines the values for his store items in most circumstances by taking his winning bid[s] and multiplying the total times 3(or 4 or more in some circumstances, i.e $970.00 white box set :roll: ).

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:03 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Truthfully, I dont think that he is trying to corner the market on anything, I just dont think he has a freaking clue on what anything is worth. Look at his bidding patterns, they make no sense what-so-ever. I think he determines the values for his store items in most circumstances by taking his winning bid[s] and multiplying the total times 3(or 4 or more in some circumstances, i.e $970.00 white box set :roll: ).

Yup, that's pretty much my opinion as well. He's buying high, and selling higher (sometimes WAY higher). I think he's basically looking to cash in on suckers using the BIN without knowing they could get the item much, much cheaper somewhere else.

I don't mind much, really - it makes my store's BIN prices look all the more reasonable ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:13 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

Yup, that's pretty much my opinion as well. He's buying high, and selling higher (sometimes WAY higher). I think he's basically looking to cash in on suckers using the BIN without knowing they could get the item much, much cheaper somewhere else.

I don't mind much, really - it makes my store's BIN prices look all the more reasonable ;)

The thing of it is too, he bids really high on some items, then doesnt bid anywhere near as high on the same items that are in equal or better condition. :?   He also bids more and higher on common items than he bids on items that are not so common.  It just doesnt make any sense. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:36 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:BTW, does anybody know which printing of Chainmail the burnie brothers just sold for over $700? I know it's the 2nd edition, but was it a first or second printing of that edition?

It was the 1st printing of the 2nd Edition.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:39 am 

Ok so is this worth $285  8O

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWA:IT

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:58 am 

improvstone wrote:Ok so is this worth $285 8O

My thoughts exactly (points to interesting items thread).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:04 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:

My thoughts exactly (points to interesting items thread).

Sorry ... was posting here at the same time you were posting over there.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:07 pm 

Likewise.   :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:38 pm 

Well 3 bidders thought it was worth $250+ 8O   And given the recent price surges on big ticket items, it doesn't really surprise me if it is as nice as the seller implied.

And the MM does have a certain pedigree as the first hardback manual.

Personally, I love the MM.  I could almost quote from it verbatim (much to the annoyance of the DM :D ) within a few months of getting my first copy.  The art is fantastic.  And it even smelled good (for all you book sniffers :? )  Not sure if I would want to pay that much.  But looking at other items on the rares list, there are plenty that are/were apparently worth more which I would rank lower in terms of personal desire to own.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:55 pm 

Ahhh, the oft overlooked vice/art of book-smelling... :lol:   Does that go hand-in-hand with dice-fondling?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:04 pm 

johnhuck wrote:

Well 3 bidders thought it was worth $250+ 8O  And given the recent price surges on big ticket items, it doesn't really surprise me if it is as nice as the seller implied.

It surprises me, considering there was another one that ended a couple of days ago for much less, and yet a third up now that I've still got the high bid on at $9.99. ;)  Those 3 bidders seem to be very, very misinformed...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:06 pm 

There certainly has been an increase in certain items recently, but without having my numbers right here in front of me, I am still pretty sure that just about doubles the highest receorded price that we have fpr a 1st print MM. I will have to check that when I get home and will post a follow up latter. IMHO, I think that that final is very high.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:31 pm 

Has visible shelfwear at the foot and could easily have dented corners, too, judging by the seller's definition of mint (this copy is only "near mint") and the cropped scan.

seller wrote:I don't know how you would describe mint. However this book has never been used

Not sure whether that rules out a name written inside, too, but will give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's probably still a very nice copy. And I haven't seen (m)any of those on eBay for $10. ;)

johnhuck wrote:Personally, I love the MM. I could almost quote from it verbatim (much to the annoyance of the DM :D ) within a few months of getting my first copy. The art is fantastic. And it even smelled good (for all you book sniffers :? ) Not sure if I would want to pay that much. But looking at other items on the rares list, there are plenty that are/were apparently worth more which I would rank lower in terms of personal desire to own.

*nod nods*

Choice between a minty "10th Anniversary Combo Pack" and a minty 1st MM = no competition.

*exhales...* :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:38 pm 

It is my opinion that the rare and first print 1st ed. stuff will continue to receive higher and higher prices. In any collectors medium it is routine to have some stuff priced out of the reach of regular collectors.  As the collectors of this stuff get older and get better salaries, the prices will rise.  Look to the high prices of older comic books and sports cards.  Game collecting is getting big and will get bigger.

Frank (extsr) would probably agree with me. :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:06 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Frank (extsr) would probably agree with me. :)

As long as you send me the usual endorsement fee.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:It is my opinion that the rare and first print 1st ed. stuff will continue to receive higher and higher prices. In any collectors medium it is routine to have some stuff priced out of the reach of regular collectors. As the collectors of this stuff get older and get better salaries, the prices will rise. Look to the high prices of older comic books and sports cards. Game collecting is getting big and will get bigger.

Truthfully I have no idea where the RPG market is going to head, and at this point I dont think anyone can be sure, but I can tell you that even though Comic Books seems to have done okay with the advent of Ebay, the Baseball Card market was destroyed by it.  Granted the baseball card companies didnt do collectors any favors by completely flooding the market back in the late 80's early 90's, but Ebay really put the finishing touches to it.  With the exception of some very old BB cards, and the very special collectors cards created  today with print runs less than 500, the entire BB card market was exposed by the advent of EBay to the point that cards that used to sell for well over $1000.00, typically now go for just a couple hunderd dollars i.e Nolan Ryan rookie card that I posted about several monts ago, sold for $1,600.00-$2,000.00 back in the mid 90's is now lucky if it reaches $400-$450. Just my $.02.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:It is my opinion that the rare and first print 1st ed. stuff will continue to receive higher and higher prices. In any collectors medium it is routine to have some stuff priced out of the reach of regular collectors. As the collectors of this stuff get older and get better salaries, the prices will rise. Look to the high prices of older comic books and sports cards. Game collecting is getting big and will get bigger.

Truthfully I have no idea where the RPG market is going to head, and at this point I dont think anyone can be sure, but I can tell you that even though Comic Books seems to have done okay with the advent of Ebay, the Baseball Card market was destroyed by it. Granted the baseball card companies didnt do collectors any favors by completely flooding the market back in the late 80's early 90's, but Ebay really put the finishing touches to it. With the exception of some very old BB cards, and the very special collectors cards created today with print runs less than 500, the entire BB card market was exposed by the advent of EBay to the point that cards that used to sell for well over $1000.00, typically now go for just a couple hunderd dollars i.e Nolan Ryan rookie card that I posted about several monts ago, sold for $1,600.00-$2,000.00 back in the mid 90's is now lucky if it reaches $400-$450. Just my $.02.

I had a Brett Hull rookie Card...sold it for 12 bucks, more than 20 times what I paid for it -- and I got to chew the plasticky pink gum, too! :)  No regrets there at all.

I stopped bothering with cards when they stopped making the thick cardboard ones...the same "glossy phenomenon" is taking over RPGs, too, and I don't think it's a good thing.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:31 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:...the same "glossy phenomenon" is taking over RPGs, too, and I don't think it's a good thing.

Agreed  8)  There is something about the feel of non plastic / non gloss paper and stitched binding.  I would love to see manual produced the old way  :wink:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 73 of 107123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 105106107