Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 107123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 105106107
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:01 pm 

johnhuck wrote:OCE/5th print. Plastic covered. No box. £83 8O with nearly 6 hours left.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5203471721

<edit>Apologies, the box is included. But in such a sorry state that it's not worth showing according to the seller. And it's a non-OCE box. Still a big price.</edit>

Hmm... :?

Actually, I wish you would have pointed this one out earlier...I emailed the seller asking for some specific pics, but the auction's over so he's probably lost interest.  It went far too high for me to bid on just for research purposes...

(David...look closely at the truncated bottom of the GK logo on Volume 2...this may be another one of our affectionately designated "5A" :!: )

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:OCE/5th print. Plastic covered. No box. £83 8O with nearly 6 hours left.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5203471721

<edit>Apologies, the box is included. But in such a sorry state that it's not worth showing according to the seller. And it's a non-OCE box. Still a big price.</edit>

Hmm... :?

Actually, I wish you would have pointed this one out earlier...I emailed the seller asking for some specific pics, but the auction's over so he's probably lost interest. It went far too high for me to bid on just for research purposes...

(David...look closely at the truncated bottom of the GK logo on Volume 2...this may be another one of our affectionately designated "5A" :!: )

It is a 5th printing or 5A if you will. Malcolm(I am assuming our Malcolm :wink: ) Asked the question and got this answer:

Q: Hi, could you tell me please if the sides of the box are a brown wood-effect colour, or are white? And, if white, does it have a "collectors edition" flash in red on the front of the box please? Thanks in advance, Malcolm
09-Jun-05
A: Well, I think the box was white once upon a time, but is in a terrible state as it has been water and sun damaged, and is split and peeling as well. To be honest, it just looks beige/pale brown now and I don't know if that's the original colour or due to the damage. Just to top it off, it's got a rubber band melted across half of the lid. No collectors edition flash though.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:25 pm 

bclarkie wrote:It is a 5th printing or 5A if you will. Malcolm(I am assuming our Malcolm :wink: ) Asked the question and got this answer:

Q: Hi, could you tell me please if the sides of the box are a brown wood-effect colour, or are white? And, if white, does it have a "collectors edition" flash in red on the front of the box please? Thanks in advance, Malcolm
09-Jun-05
A: Well, I think the box was white once upon a time, but is in a terrible state as it has been water and sun damaged, and is split and peeling as well. To be honest, it just looks beige/pale brown now and I don't know if that's the original colour or due to the damage. Just to top it off, it's got a rubber band melted across half of the lid. No collectors edition flash though.

I was referring to something far more subtle, actually.  To elaborate:

The 5th printing is what is shown on the Acaeum, and has a normal GK logo, and has a standard leather cardstock.

What we're calling the 5A, for lack of a better term, predates the 5th, and up until now, I had the only known copy.  It features a truncated GK logo (the tips on the bottom of the K are missing).  It also has a grid-pattern cardstock, but that's hard to confirm in the auction photo, I'm trying to enhance the photo for detail quite literally as we speak.  ;)  

There are far numerous textual differences as well.  We're not calling it a separate printing, we thought it to be perhaps a proof copy or a test printing or whatnot.  Most likely whatnot. ;)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:52 am 

deimos3428 wrote:What we're calling the 5A, for lack of a better term, predates the 5th, and up until now, I had the only known copy. It features a truncated GK logo (the tips on the bottom of the K are missing). It also has a grid-pattern cardstock, but that's hard to confirm in the auction photo, I'm trying to enhance the photo for detail quite literally as we speak. ;)

There are far numerous textual differences as well. We're not calling it a separate printing, we thought it to be perhaps a proof copy or a test printing or whatnot. Most likely whatnot. ;)

I sold one of these in Nov 2003 with all 5 supplements for £125 (the reserve - no takers on the £250 BIN :lol: ).  I distinctly remember it had flat cardstock with horizontal lines running through it rather than leather effect.  I will see if I still have the image.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:15 am 

£50 for Tortured Souls...

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEDW:IT

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:48 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:£50 for Tortured Souls...

holy cow! they are nice items to have, but i dont know if i would want them THAT much! jeez man!  8O

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:20 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:£50 for Tortured Souls...

So my collection of 1-10 should be worth £ 500?

8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm throwing a BIN for that amount!!!!

Any takers?

:lol:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:15 am 

is Tortured Souls worth getting into the collection?  I have always liked the look of the covers and I seem to remember #2 got a great review in (I believe) White Dwarfwhen they were originally published.

They seem to come up quite often so maybe I should dip a toe into the water.

Not at 49 quid each though 8O  8O  8O

slammer  kintyre, hotfa nap, gripper longshank and  zhod thobi the npc was the party that got me interested

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:40 am 

From my personal experience, Tortured Souls is worth a look, especially from the gaming point of view.

Its adventures are clear, well thought and executed, with interesting plots and nice illustrations... especially if we think about WHEN they got published.

And after all, talking from a DM's point of view, they are practically unknown to some nosy players...

:twisted:

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 am 

Definately worth a look. rosenkav, I take it you don't have issues 11 or 12? Issue 11 crops every couple of months and usually goes for about £4.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:29 am 

No, Ian - I bought them in Italy, and I didn't find anything after #10 - so I assumed they were the only ones.

Maybe it was my hobby shop that went sloppy after all...

Nice to know there are two other issues  :wink:

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:50 am 

thanks for the advice guys - I shall go sniffing for some copies!

slammer  kintyre, hotfa nap, gripper longshank and  zhod thobi the npc was the party that got me interested

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 pm 

Tortured Souls is worth checking out for quality adventures published in the 80's.  #12, the last issue, seems to be the hardest to find and cost me the most to acquire (over $50 IIRC), but the rest shouldn't cost anywhere near that much.  Happy hunting!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:57 pm 

If I am not mistaken this booklet is part of the GH From the Ashes boxed set. And it is already at 41$  8O  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44111

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:44 pm 

Jupp wrote:If I am not mistaken this booklet is part of the GH From the Ashes boxed set. And it is already at 41$ 8O

More proof how many stupid people are out there. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Jupp wrote:If I am not mistaken this booklet is part of the GH From the Ashes boxed set. And it is already at 41$ 8O

More proof how many stupid people are out there. :roll:

I have a feeling the bidder in this case looked at the picture (it's the same as the cover on the From the Ashes box) and merely assumed they were bidding on the entire boxed set. What an expensive mistake he/she is going to make...!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:46 am 

Well finally some idiot finally met Cougars reserve for an beat up opened H1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 15196&rd=1

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:50 am 

Holy Cr*p....75(!) quid. 8O

What even worse is that people like this prove that cornering the market works. All that's left is to congrat cougar on a job well done :?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 107123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 105106107