Silliest auction price of 2004-2005 announced!
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 107123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 105106107
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:32 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
AncientSage wrote:I'm scared...Can you find what's wrong with this picture? lol I can't believe this poor schmuck..

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 4&rd=1

Ok, I'll bite. Looks like a perfectly ordinary B2 sale to me. What's wrong?

Could it be the 9$ for flat rate shipping?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:38 am 

KingOfPain wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
Ok, I'll bite. Looks like a perfectly ordinary B2 sale to me. What's wrong?

Yeah, saw that...but the seller's in Japan.  $9 to the USA doesn't seem so bad to me.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:53 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:

Yeah, saw that...but the seller's in Japan. $9 to the USA doesn't seem so bad to me.

Geez, I must be going blind...I didnt see that.  My bad.  :roll:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:19 am 

The point is not that $9 is a reasonable (or not) shipping price from Japan to USA, but that the poor schlub actually paid to have it shipped from Japan-- an item he could have purchased any day of the week on ebay for about $1 plus $2 or $3 shipping and handling from much closer to home.

He paid $12.49 for a pink B2 8O  

I'll have to ask him if he'd like one of my X1's for only $10!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:59 pm 

Ok, now people have really gone barmy :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44113

A starting bid of 250$ with a BIN of 350$  8O

Folks with woodgrain boxes can now start planning for their new houses once they sell their box  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:42 pm 

I'm getting a kick out of all the white box noob sellers. As usual, 10,000 white boxes have been sold in the last month. They are not even close to rare, yet some people pay insane prices for them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:55 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'm getting a kick out of all the white box noob sellers. As usual, 10,000 white boxes have been sold in the last month. They are not even close to rare, yet some people pay insane prices for them.

You hit the nail on the head there, however I think it is more than that.  The noob buyers are also desperately trying to get thier hands on the famous "white box", it's a holy grail of sorts, most buyers and sellers of the OCE box are probally not aware of the woody at all (considering they don't come up for sale on ebay much).  The thing is, even though we as collectors do not see the OCE box as being that rare, it is to the multitude of would-be buyers and starting collectors.  There has been some talk about the market eventually adjusting and the prices of these going back to normal, I think we are failing to see what is going on here.  The market for DnD collectables is begining to hit a more mainstream audience, it isn't quite as popular as comics or cards, but with 3rd ed out and more people playing and being (re)introduced to the game I think we will see that the white box editions are going to fix at a price of about 200-300 with earlier ones reaching as high as 500 (no predictions on woodies, I have yet to see one go up for auction).

Just my .02

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:03 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'm getting a kick out of all the white box noob sellers. As usual, 10,000 white boxes have been sold in the last month. They are not even close to rare, yet some people pay insane prices for them.

Which means it's time to start unloading while the Noob buyers are throwing cash...I'll have a 4th minus white box up this weekend, and an OCE every weekend after...it's going to be the Summer of the White Box around here....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:09 am 

In fact this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

had a BIN of 275 when it was introduced. And wonder what?

It disappeared lately...

... the BIN price, that is ...

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:26 am 

Somehow looking at those prices makes me biting into my keyboard for not buying a white box when they were around 50-80$ a pop but going straight for the woody :x

Selling 2 or 3 of those OCEs would finance some of the holiday money for next year where I plan a trip to Oz.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:37 am 

Jupp wrote:Ok, now people have really gone barmy :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44113

A starting bid of 250$ with a BIN of 350$ 8O

Folks with woodgrain boxes can now start planning for their new houses once they sell their box :?

I e-mailed this guy and told him what the going rate for the last 6 months was for these 6th printings. Never got a reply. I hope no one is stupid enough to pay that price. Eventually they will go to that level but not yet. I am not a collector, but have been playing AD&D 1st ed for years and decided I wanted a copy of the three books. I could care less about the box or mint condition since I have no intention of selling it. So I picked up a copy of a sixth printing without the box for $32.50 plus postage. Some idiot had colored in the pictures with a felt tip pen, but as a user copy I was satisfied. I also got a copy of Greyhawk Supplement I for $7.95 plus shipping, it was listed as a 12th printing and I am good to go. I would pick up a copy of Blackmoor Supplement II if I find one at a reasonable price, but they seem to be going at much higher prices.

Llaurenela

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:24 am 

Llaurenela wrote:I also got a copy of Greyhawk Supplement I for $7.95 plus shipping, it was listed as a 12th printing and I am good to go. I would pick up a copy of Blackmoor Supplement II if I find one at a reasonable price, but they seem to be going at much higher prices.

Blackmoor & Eldritch seem harder to get at a discount, even lower grade copies. I'm not really sure why that is, but I've definitely noticed it. Greyhawk had so many printings that they are relatively easy to pick up, if condition/printing isn't a major concern. I do believe this will change as more d20/3rd players become collectors and start looking for the "rare" stuff. That might help explain the ridiculous surge in OCE prices, as well.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:42 am 

deimos3428, maybe you should move your post to the fun finds thread-- I bought my OD&D materials piecemeal before I fully appreciated how common they are and so paid somewhat more than I really should have...but substantially less than what is happening recently.

At the very least, you should start a "Recent Sane Purchases" thread.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:03 pm 

Achizar wrote:deimos3428, maybe you should move your post to the fun finds thread-- I bought my OD&D materials piecemeal before I fully appreciated how common they are and so paid somewhat more than I really should have...but substantially less than what is happening recently.

At the very least, you should start a "Recent Sane Purchases" thread. :D

i think you can still get hold of them quite reasonable still, if you are patient and are prepared to really delve for them.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:21 pm 

Achizar wrote:deimos3428, maybe you should move your post to the fun finds thread-- I bought my OD&D materials piecemeal before I fully appreciated how common they are and so paid somewhat more than I really should have...but substantially less than what is happening recently.

At the very least, you should start a "Recent Sane Purchases" thread. :D

Heaven help us all if I'm the sane one around here. :)

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:54 am 

As regards uiriamu, here's my feedback from February

"All received ok - complete and intact. Shipped from Japan to UK"

BJS

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:58 am 

now this is what i call optimism! this guy aint giving a lot away at all!!! :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 47983&rd=1

nice payment conditions & ooooo a lovely coloured in monster manual too!  8O

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:21 am 

killjoy32 wrote:now this is what i call optimism! this guy aint giving a lot away at all!!! :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 47983&rd=1

nice payment conditions & ooooo a lovely coloured in monster manual too! 8O

eBay newbie, too afraid of internet transactions to set up a Paypal account, would be my guess.  Also painfully unaware of the market value on these books, or has been to too many greedy gaming stores lately and believed the prices there.  

The description itself is one of the more accurate ones I've seen lately, no "rare" in sight.  There's about a 50/50 chance somebody will pounce on that...I suppose it depends on the rabid Cthulhu question that seems to follow every DD these days  :roll:  If anyone's wondering about the weird starting price, it works out to $60 CAD.

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 107123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 105106107