Vote for your favorite RPG
Poll: Which is your favorite RPG (for collecting, not playing)

TSR Dungeons & Dragons 21%       21%  [ 7 ]
TSR Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition 42%       42%  [ 14 ]
TSR Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition 15%       15%  [ 5 ]
TSR WOTC Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd / 3.5 Edition 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
Chaosium Call of Cthulhu 6%       6%  [ 2 ]
FASA Battletech / Shadowrun 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Iron Crown: Rolemaster / Middle Earth Role Playing 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Judges Guild (anything) 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
Other (which?) 9%       9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 33

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:35 am 

Time for a new poll!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:05 am 

Despite my sincere devotion to D&D since 1979, I would have to vote for Call of Cthulhu as the finest RPG ever made.  I'm not easily swayed by prestige classes, munchkinism or crunchy bits; when I want to play, it's all about atmosphere.  CoC wins by that measure, with 1st Edition AD&D a close second.
:wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:31 am 

Empire of the Petal Throne / Tekumel.  
D&D and CoC are close behind in second place.  
Space Opera gets an  honorable mention as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:52 pm 

It's hard to go past AD&D 1st ed... although the game I probably had the most fun playing was Paranoia.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:55 pm 

I'll actually have to go with the L5R RPG (not the D20 version).  I usually HATE inner-party conflict, but for this game, it's superb.  It's not detrimental to the party or party goals.  It just adds tension.  The combat system is excellent, giving the player the ability to control how much or little they want to do.  Plus, the game is deadly.  I'm constantly proving my honor against the other clans, while personally remaining scared as hell for my character's life.

Fear + Tension + Controllable Combat = More fun and excitement than i can explain here with words.

I still play D&D, as well as other games, but i've never had more fun than with L5R.  Nothing even comes close.

rhea..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:12 am 

L5R always struck me as a great game, IF you had a capable GM.  I'm rather fond of the d20 version myself...  not quite as deadly as the original 1st and 2nd ed. versions, but I think they compliment each other nicely.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:25 pm 

I voted "Other" because I didn't see Hackmaster on the list!!!

~Hal

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:25 am 

How much of HackMaster is serious (ie just basically 1st edition AD&D rules done to conform to d20 stuff) compared to the humour. Is it generally just all humorous like Paranoia?

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:43 am 

Ohhh, most defiantly not!!!  It didn't win RPG of the Year for 2001 because it was silly.  Yes there are jokes scattered through-out the books, but hey so does the 1st edition DMG.  I think the reason people have the opinion about Hackmaster being silly is because the game itself was created old school gamers.  They love playing RPG's, especially old school style and found an opportunity to continue to do so.  They realize the game is a game and have added some sillyness to it.  take all that away and you have a very good fundamentally sound gaming platform. Oh and BTW, Mr. Gygax himself has even been seen roaming around the Hackmaster boards.

If anyone is a true 1st edition geek, (like myself) Hackmaster is a natural progression.  You have the same core rules as 1st edition but tweaked a bit.  Honor has been added to the game and  plays more of a role.  Much like the old Oriental Adventures.  An extensive list of skills and talents have been added to develop and enhance your characters. Note these skills are not like kits or packages for characters, they're more like non-weapon proficiencies but are actually useful.  Kenzer & Co.  have also added some new tables and charts for things like Spell Failure and Mishap, Weapon Fumbles, and my favorite, Critical Hits.

They have added a very interesting balance for the game in terms of Character Quirks and Flaws.  Most of these are not intended to "help" a character.  You take (or roll) quirks and flaws to get building points.  In return you spend those building points to get your skill.  

For example, one of my fellow party members has a half-orc fighter.  During character development, he ended up taking something like 6-7 quirks and flaws.  He figured he needed many building points for skills to compensate for bad stats.  Well lets just say that many Q & F's did more harm to his character then all his new skills helped.  Here are just a few of his Q & F's…Excessive Drooling, causing is character to consume 2x normal water per day.  Multiple Personalities, well that one is pretty much self explanatory.  A quirk called Hack Lust, which if triggered, causes the character to kinda go into a "fighting frenzy" attacking first any enemies and if the lust is not broken, attacks friends.  Couple that with an intelligence of 4 and you have a real, well lets just say, interesting character to play and watch play.   These type of things are what make Hackmaster fun for me.  

I could just keep going on about Hackmaster, but you would be reading for a hour.  Really what I'm saying is Hackmaster is as serious and as silly as any game out there.  It's all about how you play and who you play with.  

~Hal

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:00 pm 

And what about the modules?
The Temple of Existential Evil
Little Keep on the Borderlands
Smackdown the Slavers
RobinLoft
(404 Not Found)

How do they differ from the originals?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:22 pm 

I want to change my answer!

MERP all the way!!  (I had voted for 1st Edition D&D)

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:25 pm 

The modules are actually really cool.  The basic plot is the same on them but that have added and changed some things.  The difficulty level of all of them have increase considerably.  Even if you ran the old version of a module on somebody years ago, you could run it again on them using the hackafied version and still have fun.

Oh, I forgot to mention that as a character, you get a 20 ht pt kicker during creation.  the downfall, most creatures get it also.  I like to refer to Hackmaster as 1st edition D&D on steroids.

Another cool thing about Hackmaster are the monsters.  Kenzer has come out with books called Hobs.  These are Hacklopedia of Beasts.  There are 7 total.  There are soooo many more monsters to throw at players.  You could game once a week for 12 hrs a day for 5 years and never use the same monster twice.

~Hal