Interesting Items Previously on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 106123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 104105106
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:44 am 

darkseraphim wrote:Mysteriously, an auction for a True 1st Print Greyhawk Supplement has ended - the seller made an error in the listing!  Oh dear ... seems to have been another typo ...

:roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5913695448

I also had a snipe on Greyhawk as well as the hybrid boxed set which was also ended for the same reason by the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5914399753

See thread:

Woodgrain hybrids? • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

muaddib5, harami2000, stormber one of you?

If it's been bought offline then it must have been a reasonable offer I would have thought.  harami2000 and myself (and others I suspect) had both made enquiries about it.  I hope this would have alerted the buyer that it was worth more than a few bob.

Good work anyway.  I have never managed to get a seller to end an auction for me.  But it doesn't stop me trying.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:00 am 

Heh, if it's been bought offline, I guarantee the buyer won't get nearly as much shit as I usually do.

The books appear to be 1st printing, they had no print number inside.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:52 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
darkseraphim wrote:Mysteriously, an auction for a True 1st Print Greyhawk Supplement has ended - the seller made an error in the listing!  Oh dear ... seems to have been another typo ...

:roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5913695448

I also had a snipe on Greyhawk as well as the hybrid boxed set which was also ended for the same reason by the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5914399753

See thread:

Woodgrain hybrids? • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

*lol*. So did we all have a snipe bid in on the "Greyhawk", with the result that it appeared almost no-one wanted it?

(Was at something like $7 for both that and the nice copy of "Blackmoor").

Yes; two of the strangest items I've seen, albeit not particularly valuable; both from the same seller...

I suspect my snipe bid was a little higher than most, since I was working on the basis of potential interest rather than condition.

For a start, I'm almost certain the "Greyhawk" is a copy; but apparently one with a history...

1. Even that badly faded, there should be some sign of purple in the titles.

2. The "printing" fades out towards the bottom with a blank area and no price (falling into that blank and off the bottom of the page).

3. I dunno about the cardstock, but given 1. & 2. I'd have to guess it's not the same as the "genuine article" which the printers used.

On the other hand, how many copied supplements has anyone seen, far less one of a "True First" "Greyhawk" (which was hardly known about until recently)??

This one is trimmed to the correct size and obviously not an attempt at (modern) forgery. And as for those handwritten notes... I didn't get a chance to ask what sort of notes.

Value for such a curiosity?? No idea...

It could just be someone's "home copy" (more likely). It could be a copy run off by TSR if they ran out of "spares" of the "True First", or a "working copy" (no-one yet knows the actual printing numbers, or when the "First" printing was finally delivered). On the other hand, it doesn't appear to be a "proof" copy, due to the reproduction method.

The only definite indication of the latter two would be if the "Multi-Dice Set" price were not scratched out, and even the lack of that couldn't rule out some tenuous TSR link.

OK; enough wild speculation, already... ;)

=

Technically, both auctions did have errors in the listing. The white set has to be 1975, and the Greyhawk isn't an "original book from 1975", although the seller did warn of that later in the description.

(The "Blackmoor" should also be a first printing, of course).

johnhuck wrote:
darkseraphim wrote:If it's been bought offline then it must have been a reasonable offer I would have thought.  harami2000 and myself (and others I suspect) had both made enquiries about it.  I hope this would have alerted the buyer that it was worth more than a few bob.

Good work anyway.  I have never managed to get a seller to end an auction for me.  But it doesn't stop me trying.  :wink:

The rules clearly prohibit making an offer to buy via. a message to the seller, but are more vague (from the buyer perspective) where the seller asks you to do so. The buyer is discouraged from accepting the latter because of "lack of safety" (fair enough, but eBay gives little/no protection for most sales, anyhow), and "violation of policy" (which is presumably because the seller will not have to pay commission to eBay).

Does that tally with everyone else's interpretation?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:44 pm 

Just had a reply from the seller.

"On further review, it was determined that the set needed further description - for instance the book one has both the art add and no imprint on the back cover, books 2 and 3 have the imprint.  It's a rather rare set.  It is unlikely to go back on e-bay.  I have a local buyer willing to pay $500.00 for the set."

Does that sound like a 1st printing?  If so, could someone have put it in a later box?  Or is it another hybrid?

Not sure if the $500 includes the other cancelled auction.

Reasonable price?  Or do you think they would do better on eBay?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:06 pm 

I think the local buyer line is bullshit, and he's fishing for how much he would be offered offline.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:15 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I think the local buyer line is bullshit, and he's fishing for how much he would be offered offline.

Seller asked if I would be interested in paying more.

I enquired if it was for the box set + supplements.

He said box set only.

Just replied that it was too rich for me.

Let's see if it reappears on eBay or if someone here has done the deed.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:20 pm 

Forgot to mention that he said the name on the side of the books was Don or Dave Imus.  Anyone significant?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:28 pm 

See? As I said, he is fishing for offline $$.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:45 pm 

Danger, Will Robinson!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:15 pm 

Don Imus?  The radio shock-jockey?

I think I see it now.  This is some sort of prank.  When Deadlord finally receives the set, Imus will call him live and tell him he's been punk'd.  Much laughter will ensue.  Gary Gygax is probably going to be a guest or something.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:08 pm 

Howdy All,

Sorry for the delay in entering this thread, I've had to be offline for a bit.

Deadlord36 wrote:Heh, if it's been bought offline, I guarantee the buyer won't get nearly as much shit as I usually do.

The books appear to be 1st printing, they had no print number inside.

When the item went off eBay, I was afraid the seller had a buyout (he did) and I made a counter offer. Not because I wanted the item but because I wanted him to keep giving me the research information I needed. Most of the time as soon as an item goes off eBay the seller clams-up and never utters a word about the item again.

Confirmed on all accounts by the seller as follows: The books are the same odd print I've been talking about in other threads (v. 1 and 2 are 1st print booklets w/ new-leather/white covers and v. 3 is the buff/buff covered odd booklet that appears to be a 1st print booklet, save size and cover stock) in a 4th print box. The printer imprint on book 2 and 3 are Graphic Printing Lake Geneva, consistent with 1st prints.

I don't intend to buy the item, I will drop my offer to the seller of the hybrid 1st+/4th box set. Sorry for the interference (to whomever made the buyout offer), I was just trying to add to my research for these sets. If you do get them please share your first hand accounts of them.

I currently own three of these sets (albeit two in woodgrain boxes and one loose) and Christopher Smagghe owns one woodgrained box set too. It does me no good to suggest these odd sets are anything other than 1st prints but still I persist in the thought that these items are not 1st prints. The set of books found in a 4th print white box discussed in the above mentioned recent auction suggests a potentially later assembly - a Frankenstein set. I place this happening in late 1975 based on information recollected by David Sutherland, Gary Gygax, and Frank Mentzer. Buyer be aware. The 3rd+ print hybrid (see Acaeum entry) comes from this period as well.

As to the 3rd volume of the 1st+ hybrid sets, I can't say when the odd buff/buff colored booklet was printed.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:51 pm 

Why is it that when an item gets pulled everyone assumes it is me? I expect a few apologies.

I do know who bought it, but to save them the general ration of shit that I usually endure, I will not say anything other than that he is a member.

Of the Acaeum.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:08 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Why is it that when an item gets pulled everyone assumes it is me? I expect a few apologies.

I heard that you had bought the set from the DJ on the radio this morning.  He's the one who's obviously made some errant assumptions here.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:09 pm 

I just took the extraordinary step of actually clicking on the link of the Greyhawk item that "vanished"...

... and I'm laughing my butt off because I remember seeing it earlier and thinking "who would want that beat-up looking crap?"  Ooops.  :roll:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:44 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I just took the extraordinary step of actually clicking on the link of the Greyhawk item that "vanished"...

... and I'm laughing my butt off because I remember seeing it earlier and thinking "who would want that beat-up looking crap?"  Ooops.  :roll:

You said it, I just thought it. :)

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:38 am 

:)

'ello all...

Longtime gamer...  longtime collector...  I have about a dozen various (what I thought were) white box sets.

Yes, a member here did offer to buy the hybrid set.  He even paid, and I refunded his $$.  Another member here (3 actually) also drilled for info.  This alerted me to my error (thanks, but I thought the offer was fair).  However, at least one person (member or not, I do not know), took the info I shared with them (off line sale) and reported to e-bay safe harbor.  

So, the short of it, the books are back on e-bay.  the box is know wrong, this set came to me with no box.  The name is Robert Imus - and I've had no luck tracking him down.  Book 3 - has an odd cover - it is textured on both sides (unlike the other books which are smooth inside).  It is not quite white, but certainly not the darker color of the others, outside covers.

The other books with set are all 1st print books.  The Greyhawk book (no color on Greyhawk on the cover) does have the dice price corrected - not sure if a proof copy or what - again, I figuered it had no value.  The cover is a light card stock BTW.  There is a phone number on the inside cover, that is/was a Lake Geneva prefix.  Do not know the history of the book, but these, along with a couple pices of original art, plus a significant Dragon mag collection (and Strategic Review / Preview) came to me from an estate sale about 20 years ago.

The white box itself (not the OCE) was mine from my first set - and my books are also on e-bay (see the neat "BE" on the covers).  I just used to box for this set as it had none, and my original books are long gone.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:29 am 

Hi there, post more scans of the stuff inside and out and we'll (collectively) tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the stuff you got.

A dozen white box sets??? Daaaang.  That's probably more than Burntwire!

Why are you selling now?  Have you been sellling all along and we just never noticed?

Some of the stuff you (allegedly) did in the auction made it look fishy, I hope you agree, and some folks feel very strongly about Ebay rules.  

Personally, I think as long as your honest with what you're selling and deliver what you sell, you're free to sell to whoever you want at whatever price.  Free Markets=Free Country.

But don't lie,cheat,steal or you'll have a horde of angry and well connected gamers from here all over your butt. :)

Always glad to see high quality game items come on the market and someone such as yourself with obviously a nice collection is a welcome addition to the forum! (IMHO)

Like I said, you'll go nuts trying to explain everything, the only way to escape (and satisfy the folks here) is fairly hi-res scans of the outside cover and inside front/back covers where the printing info and dice prices are.

Do that, and you're going to get a good concensus on what you've got there and we'll even (probably) defend you if someone complains about the grade or printing.  As you can probably tell from some of the other threads... we're still learning about the early,early days.

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:35 am 

BillEdwards wrote::)

'ello all...

Longtime gamer...  longtime collector...  I have about a dozen various (what I thought were) white box sets.

*yay*. Hiya, Bill! Glad you've made it across! :) :)

Bet you can beat my mid-late 1977 hands-down! ^^

BillEdwards wrote:Yes, a member here did offer to buy the hybrid set.  He even paid, and I refunded his $$.  Another member here (3 actually) also drilled for info.  This alerted me to my error (thanks, but I thought the offer was fair).

Thank you for saying so.

Was posted and ready to go, but the postman couldn't take international mail. You don't mind me sharing that?

(Albeit given the general nastiness, perhaps that was for the best. All for the sake of eBay not wishing to lose a few dollars of their commission...).

BillEdwards wrote:However, at least one person (member or not, I do not know), took the info I shared with them (off line sale) and reported to e-bay safe harbor.

<....>

(no comment)

BillEdwards wrote:So, the short of it, the books are back on e-bay.  the box is know wrong, this set came to me with no box.

Ah, now that's one bit of information that would've been lost forever.

Thank you, Bill :)

BillEdwards wrote:The name is Robert Imus - and I've had no luck tracking him down.  Book 3 - has an odd cover - it is textured on both sides (unlike the other books which are smooth inside).  It is not quite white, but certainly not the darker color of the others, outside covers.

An ongoing matter of some interest, indeed...

Won't step into that discussion here, myself, since I don't have the actual material, on-hand.

BillEdwards wrote:The other books with set are all 1st print books.  The Greyhawk book (no color on Greyhawk on the cover) does have the dice price corrected

Aww...

BillEdwards wrote: - not sure if a proof copy or what - again, I figuered it had no value.

Like I said, above, I was working on the basis of potential interest, and a scribbled-on ancient reproduction copy is /more/ interesting than a boring-old pristine mint original in that regard! Plenty to talk about, reminisce, and speculate on... :)

Kindest regards,

David.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 106123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 104105106