Interesting Items Previously on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 32 of 106123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 104105106
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:35 pm 

Here is what my Pre-Pub states on the cover:
-Final Round of the AD&D Open Tournament at GEN CON South Game Convention Jacksonville, Florida Febuary, 1982
-Final Round of the AD&D Tournament at GEN CON East Game Convention Cherry Hill, New Jersey July, 1981

Does anyone have any info on the Muscacon. What month etc.? I would assume that the copy he has was printed after the Gen Con South and before Gen Con East. Maybe when they printed off copies for Gen Con East they had plenty of extras which they then sent to other Cons to be played.

I think it is real. However, the value is up in the air. I have bought several tourneys and have never paid very much. My personal opinion is that if someone paid what the Acaeum states as the value for an R tourney they over paid by quite a bit. Also I have the tourney for I-10 and if this goes for a huge amount of cash I may contact the buyer and offer it to him. After all it is a Pre-Pub. :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:01 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:For what it's worth -- and I haven't been contacted by the seller, or anyone else, to attempt to verify the module, so I'm only going off the information on the auction page -- this is a tough call.

The biggest points for this being a genuine article are:

A) Seller has a very good, extensive feedback rating.  He could be deciding to "cash out" on one big scam here, but not very likely.

B) The module is not an identical photocopy of a pre-pub.  Anyone who was going to create a fake, or even just photocopy a genuine module, would at least get the cover page correct.

Without knowing more about it, or seeing some detailed scans, my feeling is that the module is exactly what the seller says it is.  It was given to him from a source at the RPGA, to be run as a tournament adventure at "Muscacon".  It is a pre-publication version of the pre-publication.

Now, the issue of how much it's worth is a completely different story.  It is probably a generic photocopy, and obviously has neither an original signature nor a serial number (the two things which make the pre-pub R modules collectible, and verifiable).  It would be, in fact, identical to R7-10 Dwarven Quest, which is just a photocopy.  How much would you pay for R7-10?  Or even better, how much would you pay for a genuine original D&D manuscript, which itself was just a photocopy?

A very difficult question.  If you could prove the photocopy was made in 1974... but then, we start to degenerate into silliness.

Bottom line: caveat emptor.  Buyer beware.  I believe this item is a genuine article, but it's value to the collecting community is highly subjective.  As a interesting piece of trivia, certainly, but as a centerpiece of your collection -- not so sure.

And you can be damn certain that the second module like this to surface will be met with a healthy dose of skepticism that it was run off last week at Kinko's.  :(

Foul

P.S.  Frank Mentzer would be a good source to contact about the existence of this, btw.

Contacted Frank Mentzer and this is his reply:

Kewl. Looks exactly like what it's purported to be.

These 1st runs of Falx were actually done on typewriters, TSR being in the process of upgrading the old Burroughs computer (used for payroll only) and still requiring all writers to use the communal typewriter room (reservations recommended).

That's indeed my handwriting & hand-drawn maps, albeit photocopied. And I did autograph and number every early copy. Most were returned to TSR and destroyed.

This is about as rare as it gets... moreso than Vampire Queen.

Frank

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:44 pm 

burntwire wrote:I think it is real. However, the value is up in the air. I have bought several tourneys and have never paid very much. My personal opinion is that if someone paid what the Acaeum states as the value for an R tourney they over paid by quite a bit. Also I have the tourney for I-10 and if this goes for a huge amount of cash I may contact the buyer and offer it to him. After all it is a Pre-Pub. :lol:

That's what I'm thinking, too.

@Burntwire: In your opinion, what's an appropriate value of the pre-pub R tourneys?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:47 pm 

Ah, and did anyone see a sale of a pre-pub R1, R2 or R3 on eBay?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:57 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:In essence, I'd like to know, what is the big difference between the "pre-publication" versions of R1-R3 and any other official tournament (e.g. GenCon) module that explains their extremely high value? Is it only because R1-R3 were later released officially? Is it because of Mentzers autograph? Is it because they were sold at the convention through the hands of TSR employees? Or are all tournament copies worth around $800?

The pre-pub R-modules were indeed tournament modules.  Unlike most tournament modules, they were developed into retail TSR modules later, which is the real basis for their worth.  The term "pre-pub" is a bit misleading, and is only used to describe these modules in order to differentiate them from their mass-produced brethren.

Of identical rarity (and IMHO, value) are such modules as Lost Tamoachan, Lost Caverns of Tsojconth, and Quest for the Fazzlewood.  All were used as tournament modules, all were produced in very limited quantities, and all were developed into later TSR modules.  Therefore, they're highly collectible.

Tournament modules that fall outside this definition of "collectible" are modules that A) never developed into TSR modules, and/or B) have no easy way to tell if they are original copies used at the tournament.  Genuine, original tournament modules that were simply photocopies unfortunately fall into this category.  Again, this is my opinion.  The eBay auction right now seems to fall into this latter category.

Deadlord: I don't necessarily think that the module has to be a "post-pub".  It could easily have been printed earlier, with knowledge that the module would be used in the future at GenCon South (the modules to be used at tournaments are often identified months before the actual tournament).  The missing mention of GenCon East adds credence to the belief that the module was printed earlier than the numbered Pre-Pubs -- they hadn't yet decided to use the module at GC East.

Lastly: Frank Mentzer's comment is a little murky.  He indicates the module is genuine, and that he signed and numbered all the early copies -- but he doesn't explain how this copy does not have said signature and number?

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:00 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:Ah, and did anyone see a sale of a pre-pub R1, R2 or R3 on eBay?

The sales history is right there on the module page.  There's been two successfully sold on eBay, and they went for $900 and $1,250.  A couple others were sold privately to a member of this forum (ahem), and went for a bit less ($800 range).

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:22 pm 

We purchased all three R pre-pubs for $2500 over a year ago. They are tracked for authenticity on this website. Those were the only ones we've seen in over two years of looking.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:36 pm 

I bought the pre-pub of R3 (#35) on frp.marketplace back in 1999 for $40 or so...  :D
<ducks>  

I echo Scott's question as to Mentzer not signing this copy; perhaps a follow-up query would enlighten us.  
In any case, it'll be interesting to see how much this one goes for.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:42 pm 

What should generate an items value or worth is the combination the following three factors:

1. Desirability
2. Traceability (Provenance)
3. Rarity

This supposed Pre-Pre-Pub item, although desirable, does not have any of the normal stamps of authenticity.  Therefore its rarity, and value, is put into question.

Foulfoot summed it up pretty well in the following paragraph from one of his prior comments:

Tournament modules that fall outside this definition of "collectible" are modules that A) never developed into TSR modules, and/or B) have no easy way to tell if they are original copies used at the tournament. Genuine, original tournament modules that were simply photocopies unfortunately fall into this category. Again, this is my opinion. The eBay auction right now seems to fall into this latter category.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:06 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:In essence, I'd like to know, what is the big difference between the "pre-publication" versions of R1-R3 and any other official tournament (e.g. GenCon) module that explains their extremely high value? Is it only because R1-R3 were later released officially? Is it because of Mentzers autograph? Is it because they were sold at the convention through the hands of TSR employees? Or are all tournament copies worth around $800?

The pre-pub R-modules were indeed tournament modules.  Unlike most tournament modules, they were developed into retail TSR modules later, which is the real basis for their worth.  The term "pre-pub" is a bit misleading, and is only used to describe these modules in order to differentiate them from their mass-produced brethren.

Of identical rarity (and IMHO, value) are such modules as Lost Tamoachan, Lost Caverns of Tsojconth, and Quest for the Fazzlewood.  All were used as tournament modules, all were produced in very limited quantities, and all were developed into later TSR modules.  Therefore, they're highly collectible.

Tournament modules that fall outside this definition of "collectible" are modules that A) never developed into TSR modules, and/or B) have no easy way to tell if they are original copies used at the tournament.  Genuine, original tournament modules that were simply photocopies unfortunately fall into this category.  Again, this is my opinion.  The eBay auction right now seems to fall into this latter category.

Deadlord: I don't necessarily think that the module has to be a "post-pub".  It could easily have been printed earlier, with knowledge that the module would be used in the future at GenCon South (the modules to be used at tournaments are often identified months before the actual tournament).  The missing mention of GenCon East adds credence to the belief that the module was printed earlier than the numbered Pre-Pubs -- they hadn't yet decided to use the module at GC East.

Lastly: Frank Mentzer's comment is a little murky.  He indicates the module is genuine, and that he signed and numbered all the early copies -- but he doesn't explain how this copy does not have said signature and number?

Foul

Ok, gonna email Frank again.  What should I ask to clarify the situation more?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:43 pm 

Point out that the current auction features a module that isn't signed and doesn't have a serial number, and appears to be slightly different than the other pre-pub R modules we've seen.  Ask him if there were any copies distributed prior (or after) the run of numbered pre-pubs.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:04 pm 

And ask him, if he happens to have a copy lying around, to send it to me and I will personally verify it....

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:43 pm 

You can always buy it and mail it to him asking for him to sign it/verify it ;)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:30 am 

Original D&D Set (white box) 5th prt with suppliments
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 24708&rd=1
5 days with a reserve.  Opening bid is $20.00.  Suppliments are all lizard logo.  Is it me or is the description of the box set lifted right from The Acaeum (with no mention of the website)  :?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:57 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Point out that the current auction features a module that isn't signed and doesn't have a serial number, and appears to be slightly different than the other pre-pub R modules we've seen.  Ask him if there were any copies distributed prior (or after) the run of numbered pre-pubs.

Foul

This is Frank's second response

I'm suspicious. The Lake Geneva area didn't have a Pamida store, so I don't know where the binder came from (TSR got office supplies from BAT). I numbered and signed all the copies that I recall making. This might be a copy of one of the originals, with the number/signature left off (a piece of white paper across 'em will do it). I was in sole control of RPGA at the time, with only 1 staff aide, and no other staff would have handled such things.

otoh and contrariwise... I don't recall if I had started signing/numbering as early as the 1st-ever RPGA-sponsored tourney at GenCon South. There mighta been 4-5 tables at most. We might have brought the copies in bulk in a box (flew down) and bindered 'em there.

So it's still up in the air. Possibly authentic, possibly a copy... still rare in any event.

I've queried the seller to see if I know him. I'll let you know if anything changes.

F

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:55 pm 

Can you ask Frank Mentzer how many pre-pubs were published?  
The highest number on the Acaeum is #51 so perhaps 100?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:58 am 

dathon wrote:Can you ask Frank Mentzer how many pre-pubs were published?  

Do you have Frank Mentezer e mail address? I'd love to do an interview with him. Would you be willing to ask him if he would be willing to do such an interview?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:57 pm 

Sotterraneo wrote:
dathon wrote:Can you ask Frank Mentzer how many pre-pubs were published?  

Do you have Frank Mentezer e mail address? I'd love to do an interview with him. Would you be willing to ask him if he would be willing to do such an interview?

[email protected]

He's a pretty friendly guy.  Don't think he'd mind hearing from you  :)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 32 of 106123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 104105106