Interesting Items Previously on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 106123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 104105106
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:48 pm 

well i'm sure that if ebay publish statistic of sniping, we could check that sniping, generally, make the sale price higher !

1) If we could not snipe, we would bid definitively less time
2) sometimes when you snipe and see that you have missed your target, your urgely bid up again, and try a 'sudden death' with a huge bid
3) now the software snipes and countersnipes (survey and snipe again if needed), so the bids gets up

I snipe nearly every time, excepted when I'm the first bidder. I snipe because I like to use the sniping software, it's easier that the ebay interface. I can check my 'buying list' instantly, I can add or remove quickly an auction, that's really friendly.
I sniped thousand times, and I can say that with my snipes I have make the bid gets up several times to sleepy items. Several times I could have mailed the guy and write :"You can thanks my sniping at last seconds, you have x2 your selling prices"

So definitively snipping is a good thing ! good to business, good to our adrenaline.

If you really want an item, you bid it high, that's all

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:30 pm 

No one can even begin to argue that sniping makes eBay earn less. I'll tell you, from my and many people I know's point of view, I am NOT going to plan my day around auctions' endings. If I could not snipe I'd throw a small bid and forget it. With sniping, I can throw a big bid.
It's a moot discussion, sniping has been around for ages now, and it isn't going anywhere.
I am SO looking forward to that asswipe denying me the sale when I snipe it. This one I'll push till he gets it up the can.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:02 pm 

Check out his previous anti-sniping policy before he revised it on March 1st - I think eBay must have put a stop to this:

NOTICE: Anti-sniping policy

I have had enough of being sniped for items that I'm bidding on and having items that I'm selling sniped. I think sniping is the bane of the on-line auction community. Well, it stops here. If any of my auctions are won with last minute bids I will continue the auction with private e-mail between the top bidders and allow a 12 hour opportunity for those bidders to respond. When the bidding stops only then will I declare a winner. After all, this is an auction not a shooting gallery. I encourage all eBayers to bid openly and bid honestly or not to bid at all. Sniping is a disservice to both buyers and sellers.

I remember getting all pissed off when I saw this several weeks ago.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:08 pm 

First, this has been a very interesting discussion.  
Well, you have certainly convinced me to become a sniper; it makes much more sense from a buyer's POV.  I will henceforth snipe and hopefully reap the rewards.   :D

But from a seller's POV, sniping will mostly dampen final bid prices.  
You can't have it both ways.  Sniping cannot be good for buyers and sellers at the same time since their interests are fundamentally different.  This is basic game theory here.  Buyers want to get the item at the lowest possible price.  Sellers want to sell at the highest possible price.  

Sniping dampens final bid prices by encouraging buyers to wait until the last possible second to bid.  If everybody waits to the last second then there is no opportunity for a second round of bids.  There is no opportunity to let emotion take control of the buyers so they will feel compelled to bid higher and higher.  If a "catch" rule was imposed then bids would fly much higher because the bidder who would have ordinarily lost will possibly have emotion take over and then frantically place another bid to beat the perceived usurper of the item he/she almost had.  Then the sniper would counterbid with another shot.  This cycle will make final bids increase above what they currently are.   Sellers and eBay will then reap the monetary rewards.  

As others have stated here, sniping is beneifical to buyers since buyers can get the item for a lower price.  How can that view be squared with the concomitant "sniping is good for sellers"?  It's zero-sum game since the interests of buyers and sellers are diametrically opposed.  
But I'll certainly be a sniper from now on.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:12 am 

Welcome to the fold.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:41 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Welcome to the fold.

Cool, thanks, now who issues the sniping firearm?   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:06 am 

yes this is a very interesting.... although if should be in a different thread;)...

ok I used to be of two minds but I must confess that snipping is seeming to be more on more the go for buyers and even I am won over (once I get organised enough to do it of course;)

Sold.com.au (now defunct) used to have a system where if you bid there would always be 3 minutes to go on the clock, ie bid in the last second and they would add 3 minutes to the auction time, if you bid again, the coutdown would start again from 3 mintues. At one time I got into a little bit of a bidding war and it went back and fourth till one of us gave up (I won from memory) with is like a normal auction. Now at the time I though that this was great, it would only take a modifaction in the programming and I'm sure ebay could do it... however... look at it this way.. there are about 40 pages of rpg items finalized every day on ebay say about 1000 items per day, now while we may only bid on an items or several every day at most, there are times when several items come up from the same seller that are interesting and all all finish either at the same time or soon after each other, if the clock was reset you would prob have to do the bidding manually at this time, but then snippers would add a little bit to the program were they would automatically bid up the price as well, and this for most ietms that sell for a couple of dollars, not hundreds of thousand dollars like houses, I think that the added time is of most benefit to ebay and the seller, not the buyer, but i can also see that it wuld cause a bit of confusion with no set finish time... I believe that more savey people will use more snipping programs more often as it doesn't tip your hand that you are interested in the item, no one can out bid you etc. for those that do this it will become a blind auction, we'll all snip with 3 seconds to go and the one that bids the most will get it... if they change it it will prob end up like this...

an item is put up and no bids taken till the last 3 seconds. 2 snipping programs fire both min bid ie $1 , the clock is reset to 3 mins.. program checks that it is winning, if not fire with 3 seconds again increase min bid the min amount ie  $1.05, clock is reset.. 2 program checks if it is winning, if not fire again another with another min bid... and on and on

the programs would go on and on like this till one won, if this was a real person doing this it would be very frustrating... I think I need some sleep, I hope this made sense...

remember its not the first bid that counts its the last, and if we all know when an auction finishes it would be all in ours (the buyer) best interest to snip in the last seconds our highest bid...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:46 am 

AD&D G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King 1st print lizard
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

7 day with an opening bid of $0.01.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:53 am 

There are hundredsof sniping services and you can also get sniping software for your own computer.  The services vary wildly in price.

Snipe Swipe -  Ebay Auction Sniper. Try it Free

This is the service I use.  Try it for free as the first snipe is free.  You then have to buy "snipe points" with paypal funds, reasonably priced at 1 penny per US dollar of items won.  Losing snipes are free.  Start with 400 points for $4US to see if you like it.  You can build a link into your toolbar so whenever you see an item you want, you hit the link and a snipe swipe browser window opens all formatted with the auction you're looking at.  All you have to do is enter the amount you want to bid.  Couldn't be easier.  You can cancel up to the last 20 seconds or so.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:15 am 

AD&D Gods, Demi-Gods & Heros Supplement IV VG-NM 2006

10 day auction with an opening bid of $18.99.  Lizard Logo in pic, but pic is from here!  As pointed out below.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:27 pm 

muaddib5 wrote:AD&D Gods, Demi-Gods & Heros Supplement IV VG-NM 2006

10 day auction with an opening bid of $18.99.  Lizard Logo.

Its not a Lizard logo. Pic is from the Acaeum.

Perhaps I should try that. For sale : One copy of B3 Orange. Except its green :-)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:00 pm 

Ok, just bid on darkseraphims G1 (see above). Now I'm gonna gear up and find my lane of fire...let the snipers come... :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:32 pm 

this is re: the guy with the 'new revised antisniping policy'

For what it's worth... I wish Ebay had 'kill file' capabilities so I wouldn't even have to see auctions by people that annoy me.

(Mr. I hate sniping so I'm going to make up my own rules...)

Sheesh.  Everyone is a victim... He's SUCH a victim of sniping.. oh my.. how will he ever survive.  

I hate whining so much I have to whine about my hatred of whining!

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:12 pm 

Just watch the fireworks when I win his auction by sniping.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:37 pm 

Here is my question:

What happens if two people snipe at the end and the Eldritch Wizardry/ Gods, Demi-Gods & Heros auction goes for say...$350 as opposed to the more usual $30-40. I wonder if  pjjones3000 would tell those two snipers that their bids will not be honored and that he is selling it to a non-sniper bidder that only bid $30 (or $20 or whatever).

Ah, the tangled webs...

-PD

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:19 am 

The D&D ebay category reaches a new low -
Nice Fire Breathing PURPLE DRAGON ASHTRAY Medieval A014:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3180014012

Instead of being in the "Dungeons & Dragons > Other" category
this should go in "Dungeons & Dragons > Cheesy"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:49 am 

THE DRAGON Premier Issue Vol. 1 No. 1 1976 D&D WOW!!

7 day auction with no reserve.  Current bid is $9.97.  Condition looks a touch rough.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:52 am 

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Rules For Fantastic Medieval Wargame

7 day auction with no reserve.  Lizard Logo Greyhawk.  Again, the conditon is a bit rough.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 106123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 104105106