Interesting Items Previously on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 106123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 104105106
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:20 am 

D&D AC3 3-D Dragon Tiles + Module by TSR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

7 day auction with no reserve.  Current bid is $1.00.  In the shrink.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:37 am 

Original 3 D&D books from TSR + Blackmoor!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

7 day auction with no reserve.  Opening bid is $7.00.  Lizard Logo Blackmoor along with the other books.

Blackmoor! 2nd Supplement for the D&D game system (TSR)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3180447717

7 day auction with no reserve.  Opening bid is $5.00.  Another Lizard Logo Blackmoor.

Don't plan on "sniping" either of these auctions.  See the sellers "Revised Anti-sniping policy."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:37 am 

AD&D TSR Eldrich Wazardy, Gods-DemiGods and Heros

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

7 day auction with no reserve.  Opening bid is $1.00.  Lizard Logo on both, but both books appear to be in very used conditon.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:42 am 

No sniping on sales... 8O

Sounds like this guy got beat out on something and now he is pissed. Last second bidding is a practical technique for buyers who want to keep cost down. Yeah, it sucks sometimes, but it is legit.

I do agree that it shouldn't be too hard for ebay to install a "catch" for last second bids. If an item recieves a bid in the last 60 seconds, ebay should add 60 more seconds. That would solve the sniper wars but only for those who are truly watching the item expire. So really, it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good.

A better way to protect sellers, would be to increase the minimum bid amounts in the last ... say ... 30 minutes of an auction. Make the min. bid increase $5.00 or something. That would increase the dollar amount of the sniping bids and help the seller out. It would also promote earlier bidding.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:50 am 

i have to disagree with the sellers anti-sniping policy.  i have been known to snipe from time to time, to get items i really want.  ebays proxy bidding system is designed to minimize the effects of sniping.  in the end, every time i win an auction by sniping i win because i bid more than the other sellers where willing to pay.  if i don't bid enough, then the auction ends with the previous bidder paying a little more and me without the time to rebid.  the system only fails when people don't understand how ebay works and try to play it like a real auction house, bidding 5.01 when the current bid is 5.00 for example, instead of putting in their maximum bid.

-dave

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:14 am 

Don't plan on "sniping" either of these auctions. See the sellers "Revised Anti-sniping policy."

Yeah, I'm not to big on this either.  The seller states in his rant that he's tired of being beat out by snipers.

I, too, will bid at the last moment for things I really want.  But, I enter the max bid I am willing to pay for the item, not just a bid a few pennies over the current bid.

By putting my maximum bid on items I don't feel bad if I'm outbid, even at the last minute.  I didn't want to pay over that max bid amount anyway so what difference does it make if I'm outbid at the beginning of the auction or the end of the auction?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:51 am 

I dunno - maybe an anti-burntwire policy would be a good thing. :-)

Congrats on the Rahasia btw Burny. I thought i had it but...oh well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:12 pm 

I am going to snipe them. I don't want them, but his "anti-sniping" policy is irritating. Besides, what he proposes to do is illegal by eBay standards. Winner gets it, that is how it goes. If he wants to whine about it, DON"T FUCKING Sell on Ebay! Pretty simple, don't you think?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:11 pm 

I also snipe from time to time; usually on large item lots, though. And I always figure in my max bid at that time. I just assume someone else may be trying the same trick so I might as well give it my best shot and that is it. If I loose the auction, no biggee as I gave it my best price. If nothing else the seller made a few extra bucks.

The anti-sniper just has a bad case of sour grapes. He probably had a shot at something cheap and got out bid at the last moment.

One shot, One Kill.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:21 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I do agree that it shouldn't be too hard for ebay to install a "catch" for last second bids. If an item recieves a bid in the last 60 seconds, ebay should add 60 more seconds. That would solve the sniper wars but only for those who are truly watching the item expire. So really, it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good.

A better way to protect sellers, would be to increase the minimum bid amounts in the last ... say ... 30 minutes of an auction. Make the min. bid increase $5.00 or something. That would increase the dollar amount of the sniping bids and help the seller out. It would also promote earlier bidding.

I think these are both good solutions to a perceived sniping problem that snipers shouldn't have too much of a problem with as well.  I like the "catch" rule similar to the one above.  "Real world" auctions don't have sniping so it's fair to imagine that eBay shouldn't either.  Give everyone a last chance, and eBay and sellers would make more money in the process.  

Of course the counter-argument is to bid your maximum and if you lose to a sniper, well, that's the breaks.  That's absolutely true, but I can't help but be a bit more peeved when I'm constantly sniped by one of the "regular" snipers.  If I know this person is going to snipe me then I would make a really, really high conditional bid just to make sure they don't get the item.  Another 60 seconds extended to the auction would allow me to see their participation and then to up the bid to astrospheric levels.  If I win, great, and if I still lose, then at least I know that I made him/her pay a small fortune for it, thus depleting their treasury of gold for the next item we both desire.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:15 pm 

Bbarsh, as an ex-Marine, I couldn't agree more. One shot, one kill, winner take all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sniping, and here is why: It is available as a tool to ANYONE who wants to use it. It is not a one-sided deal. I had to listen to my neighbor whine about being sniped for GI Joe stuff when he had sat at his computer waiting for the auction end. I refrained from slapping him and asked him why in the world he would waste time waiting for an auction when for a pittance he could throw his max at it and forget it. He agreed, and hasn't whined since.
And let's be realistic: eBay is a business. It has no affiliations with real auctions. It cares nothing for real auctions. It, like any other business, wants to make a profit, as much as possible, and keep happy customers. Obviously eBay is aware of possible anti-sniping measures. Have they been implemented? Uhhhh, noooooooo. Why should eBay care how people bid? They take their cut one way or another.
Here's the scenario:
You and your enemy are at the end of a field. You need to get to the other end, where a blonde (some RPGers wife, most likely) awaits the winner. You are each offered a bola. Your opponent takes his, but you decline, wanting to be fair. You run 10 steps and he brings you down, then strolls across the clearing as you curse his unfairness. The motto:
Who is banging the blonde?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:58 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:And let's be realistic: eBay is a business. It has no affiliations with real auctions. It cares nothing for real auctions. It, like any other business, wants to make a profit, as much as possible, and keep happy customers. Obviously eBay is aware of possible anti-sniping measures. Have they been implemented? Uhhhh, noooooooo. Why should eBay care how people bid? They take their cut one way or another.
Here's the scenario:

That's exactly what I don't understand.  eBay is a business so they should be most interested in maximizing their profits.  Therefore it would be in their interest to implement a "catch" rule since it would bring in even higher final bids.  It would also make a lot of their customers who don't like sniping happy, and for those who snipe, well, they could still kind of snipe.  

From a businessman's POV, I don't understand it.  I want more profits, therefore I would implement a rule that would bring them to me.  It's not even as if eBay has any competition in the online auction world to worry about.  They could implement a "catch" rule, make more money and make many buyers more satisfied.  And as for the snipers who don't like it?  They have no place else to go anyway so they'll have to just accept it.  As a publically-held company, eBay's first priority is to maximize profits for its shareholders, yet it doesn't implement a simple policy that would do so.  Whether you agree or disagree with the "catch" rule as a principle, it's still perplexing it hasn't been implemented from a purely capitalist POV.   8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:14 pm 

I almost always snipe items :) . My reasons are clearly stated by Dathon. If I bid early it gives someone the opportunity to make me pay more(and that would be plain stupid on my part). As to bidding someone up, I think we could all look at what people are bidding on and play "make them pay" all day long(how childish). It all comes down to making a bid you are comfortable with. If you think that 1st print wood grain will slip by and your $100 bid will win you souldn't be mad when you loose. Get a second job if you are really interested in winning :wink: . If this offends anyone I am sorry but the truth sometimes hurts.

BTW: The snipe clause may work but the auction may take forever to end with two bidders nickle and diming each other to death. Just put your max bid in at whatever time you feel comfortable with and you won't have a reason to kick yourself in the ass later, because it sold higher than you were willing to pay.

Happy Collecting,
Shawn

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:11 pm 

I can not imagine eBay would even begin to think of changing the policy.  Any possibible changes open up incredibly confusing and entangled scenarios that would compound the "problem" far more.  And what is the "problem".  I am a huge sniper, but so are many bidders who aren't "big-time" ebay people or resellers.

Back when I just bid on comicbooks for my collection I might have $50.00 per week to spend.  What am I supposed to do?  Put in my $50.00 on an auction that ends in 4 days?  That ties up all my funds - and then I might not win!  I didn't even look at items except those "ending first".  That way if I won, I knew immediately how much more I had available to me.

Now I just use it as a tool to acquire new inventory.  Bidding on an item just gives away your interest and takes up time.  Sometimes I get really "confused" by some of the other resellers tactics.  Does cougarretard really need to bid on something 10 times?  Hasn't he ever used ebay before?  You can bet that my "snipe" helps the seller out in the long run - every auction that I "win" would have gone for that much less it I hadn't "sniped".  Either my snipe increases it to my max bid and I win - or it just increases the bid amount with 4 seconds left and the seller gets it bid up by that much more.  

By the way, I find that three browers windows open, with two max bids ready, and a "refresh" on the page to count down the seconds works best.  The second "max bid" is in case your first leaves you about a $0.33 short of winning.  You can do an immediate "alt-tab" and left click submit with about 3 seconds to go.  It is insurance so you don't lose an auction by a nickel.  :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:14 pm 

Dungeons & Dragons D&D BANNER 2-SIDED GENCON 1995
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Grats on the win burnt.  Thought I had it with a $75.00 max  :cry: .  It's a bit easier knowing it went to someone here  :) .

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:20 pm 

burntwire wrote:  As to bidding someone up, I think we could all look at what people are bidding on and play "make them pay" all day long(how childish). Get a second job if you are really interested in winning :wink: . If this offends anyone I am sorry but the truth sometimes hurts.

BTW: The snipe clause may work but the auction may take forever to end with two bidders nickle and diming each other to death. Just put your max bid in at whatever time you feel comfortable with and you won't have a reason to kick yourself in the ass later, because it sold higher than you were willing to pay.

Of course you'd think it would be childish because you're the guy that would have to pay more!   :D
But it also makes strategic bidding sense to bid up somebody in a few auctions in order to deplete his/her funds for future auctions.  By your own admission, you are paying for your collection paycheck to paycheck.  Auction bidding strategy is not necessarily for one item, but for future items as well.  

As for the snipe "catch" clause, it would not take forever if the minimum bid increase were set high enough.  In addition, if you do not have the staying power to keep up with the "catch" clause then you wouldn't deserve to win the item anyway.  Perseverance is an important characteristic in life.  

In any case, the "catch" clause makes good sense business-wise for eBay and its sellers (who are their most important customers) so I expect they'll implement one sooner or later.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:37 pm 

I agree that bitching about sniping is not only sour grapes but shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how ebay auctions are run.  Bidding on ebay as if you were at a "real" auction is just plain stupid.

Here's my strategy, it work every time....

If an auction has no bids, I'll bid the minimum or close to it, thereby reserving the lowest possible price and perhaps scaring off other bidders.  Then I also place a snipe for my true highest bid and forget about it.

If an auction already has bids I just snipe.  Buyers with reputations as big spenders should bid throughout just to scare of other bidders but I am not one of those so I don't.

Sniping is great because you can cancel up to the last minute of the auction.  You can have snipes placed for 20 of the same item and if you win one, cancel all the rest.  If you had just bid on everything you might win multiple copies of the same thing or risk pissing off a seller by cancelling bids (as a seller this really annoys me! )  It also takes the emotionality out of last minute panic bidding.  You never pay more than you originally intended to and if you lose, so be it.  It definitely helps me keep fiscal control.

People who get outbid and complain they lost to a sniper are guilty of poor strategy and nothing else.  Sniping exists and is here to saty.  Deal with it and bid accordingly or get the fuck off ebay.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:20 pm 

Everyone knows ebay isnt going to change its rules on sniping.

Thus its a snipe or be sniped world.

You decide which one you want to be.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 106123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 104105106