Interesting Items Previously on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 106123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 104105106
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:06 am 

Players Option HCs and more lot $ 10, free shipping, misspelt title.
(for resellers/2.5 e players?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5935084101

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:52 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I don't remember these accesories in our games... 8O

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 9&rd=1

Yep, I gotta be wondering what Dragons has to do with bondage gear.  Although...that bondage gear might be entertaining if the other half is wearing it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:55 pm 

grodog wrote:Warriors of Mars at $113+:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 69891&rd=1

While I am tempted to upgrade, I think I'm better off sticking with my copy, no matter how bad it is (water damage).  After all, I did spend only $5, which makes it a good find for me, no matter the condition.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:38 pm 

bbarsh wrote:And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

Yep, KB toys had shelves of TSR Modules and I passed right over them...damn it.

I bought them all out at the time...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:21 am 

Well done <Desuma>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5932882265

Bet you are glad you didn't take my offer  :-)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:40 am 

dbartman wrote:
bbarsh wrote:And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

Yep, KB toys had shelves of TSR Modules and I passed right over them...damn it.

If you would have, you wouldn't be wasting your time talking to us, you would be counting your money.

I remember bins full of them - late 1st edition and D&D Basic/Expert series modules - there were hundreds of them. There had to be at least 200-300 of them.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:17 am 

only 200-300?  lol you should see the amount of books in my room :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:26 pm 

bbarsh wrote:

I remember bins full of them - late 1st edition and D&D Basic/Expert series modules - there were hundreds of them. There had to be at least 200-300 of them.

In Florida, Play World and Kids-R-Us where the local toy super-stores. And yes both had huge sections of D&D stuff. I'm talking about just as much as the game store if not more if; you're only talking TRS D&D items. Waldenbooks had a nice slice in their wall for gaming goodies as well, but there you could get TSR licensed products too like Role Aids, etc.

The thing I remember most about these treasure piles was how ravaged they looked. Kids would shop-lift the crap out these displays. Shrink-wrap would be crumbled up and stuffed in spots all around the area. One new kid in our game had no books one week, and the next he had almost all the Rule books. He admitted he liberated them from Play World and it was a joke lifting them. I wish I was standing in front of that display just for old time's sake. It's such a cloudy memory. :(

Invincible 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:46 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
dbartman wrote:

If you would have, you wouldn't be wasting your time talking to us, you would be counting your money.

Exactly.  Two points though.  I only bought what existed at the two stores local to me (Approximately 500 or so of specific modules.  The modules that were available were overstock of modules that did not move very well).  I only took the ones that were in SW which was a vast majority of them since they had probably sat in a warehouse prior to being stocked.

Secondly, I subsequently sold a lot of them for a significant return.  Not as much as some of them would bring today, but enough to pay for all of the ones that I kept and still turn a tidy profit.  Actually, one of the places that I sold some to was a local shop in Richmond, VA, that I frequented, called "One Eyed Jacques".  I suspect that they might still have quite a few stored away.  They sell on eBay under the name "one-eyed-jacques"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:17 pm 

dbartman wrote:Actually, one of the places that I sold some too was a local shop in Richmond, VA, that I frequented, called "One Eyed Jacques".  I suspect that they might still have quite a few stored away.  They sell on eBay under the name "one-eyed-jacques"

I've bought from them, they're good sellers :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:28 pm 

You had more insight than me, that is for sure.

At the time there was no internet yet so I wasn't even sure there was a market. I seemed to be one of the few people buying old modules at Gencon. I would buy to fill holes in my collection or upgrade copies. That was in the late 80s or possible very early 90s.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:37 pm 

bbarsh wrote:You had more insight than me, that is for sure.

At the time there was no internet yet so I wasn't even sure there was a market. I seemed to be one of the few people buying old modules at Gencon. I would buy to fill holes in my collection or upgrade copies. That was in the late 80s or possible very early 90s.

Part of it was good-fortune to come across them prior to a gaming store or hobby shop finding out about them.  But, believe it or not, I was a bit hesitant about buying such a large quantity of modules because there wasn't an easy way to sell them to the masses then, unless you had a gaming store or hobby shop.  Also, bear in mind at the time they were not really collectible like they are now.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:59 pm 

I will go so far as to say there was virtually no collector market - other than the stuff like  orange B3 which used to sell at Gencon auction for $75 (and I thought that was insane).

Like I said earlier, I don't remember too many people buying them at Gencon with any regularity. There would be piles of them at the auction (actually, in the auction store).

I also saw scads of Marvel Super Hero modules and Star Frontiers modules at a dollar store once. Passed on those, too.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:13 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I will go so far as to say there was virtually no collector market - other than the stuff like  orange B3 which used to sell at Gencon auction for $75 (and I thought that was insane).

Like I said earlier, I don't remember too many people buying them at Gencon with any regularity. There would be piles of them at the auction (actually, in the auction store).

I also saw scads of Marvel Super Hero modules and Star Frontiers modules at a dollar store once. Passed on those, too.

I think this is dead-on accurate: there simply was not a marketplace. You either had the modules or you didn't, and the best way to fill in your collection was at conventions. Totally hit-and-miss.

We all know what two factors combined to create a marketplace: eBay (and the far reach of the internet in general) and the disposable income that many early adapters of D&D/AD&D now have, myself included. Throw in sites such as The Acaeum, which helps with research and fuels the nostalgia, and you've got one hell of a marketplace.

:D

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:21 pm 

I don't remember there being a marketplace until frp.market got going for awareness, and They $ue Regularly began taking down AD&D fan websites.  I actually used to try to sell my D&D collection on Compuserve for about $2 an item (including many things that now go for $50+), and got no bites.

Prior to that, illegal forms of D&D material were everywhere - the only limiting factors were drive space and condition.  People felt that if they were spending thousands of dollars a year on RPGs, they were entitled to out of print releases that had clearlly been abandoned by the mother company and were never going to be reprinted.  There was also no love for TSR because they were busy killing themselves and dragging down even the fairest-minded Internet fans with them.

The situation changed rapidly once frp.market awareness was high, Papay's list was making the rounds, and the major D&D reprint sites had been taken down.  Then eBay came on the scene, then TSR imploded.  Especially before the WotC buyout situation was clear and the 1999 reprints hit, there wasn't any demand.  Now we have both demand and awareness, and the items are 10-20 years older.  It would have taken some intense 20-20 foresight to buy into the market c1993.  I got in a bit too late; I could have made a LOT more money if I'd heard about the coming "Internet" revolution 15 years ago.  But c'est la vie, the fun is what matters.  It is a game after all.
8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:53 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:Now we have both demand and awareness, and the items are 10-20 years older.  It would have taken some intense 20-20 foresight to buy into the market c1993.  I got in a bit too late; I could have made a LOT more money if I'd heard about the coming "Internet" revolution 15 years ago.  But c'est la vie, the fun is what matters.  It is a game after all.
8)

I would imagine some of the current value of the items today comes from the fact that many, many people were ditching their collections in the 90s.  Very few people were getting into the market in 1993, most were getting out...

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:03 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I think this is dead-on accurate: there simply was not a marketplace. You either had the modules or you didn't, and the best way to fill in your collection was at conventions. Totally hit-and-miss.

Hrrm...

(Personal UK viewpoint)

Early copies of The Dragon or White Dwarf were going for good money even back in the mid-80s over here.
"Choice" early copies (+ selected fanzines & APAs) were in considerable demand long before, even if the prices weren't high, then.

IMHO, the "market" as such was probably led more by University societies than anything else, from my somewhat "partial" viewpoint (and where I was there were students with serious financial resources... even some who drove Ferraris, even if not in our RPG group ;)).

But money for old modules... No, not really. And the "rare" ones were unknown to most of us at that time, anyhow.

Woodgrain OD&D sets. Well, I was offered a fair amount of money for my tatty copy more than once. Certainly in the order of $60-75... (Would've been a better option than getting it nicked!).

Personally, I wouldn't say eBay developed the marketplace /greatly/ from a "price" perspective other than disproportionate hyping of a limited number of rarer items (thankfully we're not /quite/ a Beanie Baby blip).
$15-20 nowadays for an uncommon non-TSR module might be more than it cost at the time, but what would a similar new copy cost? Inflation is easy to leave out of such equations...

Agreed 100% with the "disposable income" comment, however!
(Or should that be "credit-cardable income"??).

JM 2cents, anyhow, fwiw....

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:06 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I would imagine some of the current value of the items today comes from the fact that many, many people were ditching their collections in the 90s.  Very few people were getting into the market in 1993, most were getting out...

Yes. Having just posted, above, I'll certainly back that feeling...

But the "marketplace" /seemed/ stronger in the mid-late 80s than it did in the mid 90s (albeit I was in a totally different environment at that later date).

Blame 2E, too... why not? :twisted:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 106123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 104105106