Interesting Items Previously on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 106123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 104105106
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:09 pm 

"At the time he was sitting in the audience. Auction staff is allowed to bid on items even when they are on stage selling. The staff is made up of "volunteers" and according to Frank M. they wouldn't even have a staff if they weren't allowed to bid.

Auction fees are: bid card-$1.50, listing fee-$1 + 15% of final sale price. If the auction staff is made up mostly of volunteers then someone is making a killing.

Almost the entire staff is made up of resellers or collectors so nothing gets by cheap."

The used to charge you .10 for the cover slips for each item. Do they still do that, too.
Any yes, they are making a killing ... in several ways.
The entire system is fatally flawed and people are cheating sellers. Just my opinion, but from the other posts on this subject, I think the dubiousness (is that a word) of the auction is in plain sight.

Can you imagine ebay staff buying things before they show up on ebay! Or tampering with the listing (i.e. bad grading by auctioneers) to get a good deal...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:51 pm 

bbarsh wrote:The used to charge you .10 for the cover slips for each item. Do they still do that, too.
Any yes, they are making a killing ... in several ways.
The entire system is fatally flawed and people are cheating sellers. Just my opinion, but from the other posts on this subject, I think the dubiousness (is that a word) of the auction is in plain sight.

Can you imagine ebay staff buying things before they show up on ebay! Or tampering with the listing (i.e. bad grading by auctioneers) to get a good deal...

okay, couple things.

i spent about 45 hours total volunteering for the auction.  no one is buying things on the side.  there was some conversation about letting the volunteers go through the store before anyone was let in, but that was quashed as well (in the end, they were allowed, i believe, 1 item each, if they wanted.)

the information that is being posted on this board is simply out of date.  someone saw something ten years ago, or heard something 5 years ago.  well, from the time that i spent at the auction this year, this is nothing nefarious going on at all.

sometimes, yes, a seller doesn't do the best job of describing an item.  that, however, is not tampering in any way.  a lot of times, the seller's aren't the most knowledgable people in the field.  sometimes, wargamers have to sell boardgames, and roleplayers have to sell wargames.  i don't know the difference between any of those old SPI war games; but, if i'm asked to sell it, i will do my best to sell it.

we try to give every item a fair shake, but when you are dealing with an entirely volunteer staff, who all need to get breaks and go to the dealer hall and play in their own games and on and on and on... scheduling becomes a nightmare.  jane zoet, the head of personnel for the auction, worked herself ragged for the first two days just trying to figure out who would be available to auction... let alone do all of the other things that needed to be done.

if there was a nefarious element before, that element is either gone from the auction or not doing what they once did.  if you don't like what the auction is about, great - don't go.  but, from a first-hand perspective, the auction is on the up and up.  things might not go ones way, just like they might not on ebay, but that doesn't mean it is the auction's fault.

$.02

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:57 am 

With what they charge to get in the Con, they could be PAYING an auctioneer. They're just too cheap to do so.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:08 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:With what they charge to get in the Con, they could be PAYING an auctioneer. They're just too cheap to do so.

two things:

1) the auction runs independently of GenCon, as far as money is concerned, and

2) the auction has NEVER been in the black.  they usually break even, or lose some money.  where does the money go?  travel expenses (half a dozen of the staff comes from Cali, 2 are from Michigan, 1 from Wisconsin, 1 from Maryland, and ALL of these senior members of the staff are comped for travel), food for 40 for 4 days (volunteers eat on the auction's dime for the entire con), supplies to run the auction (markers, pens, auction slips, bidder cards), and all of the other little things that come up that need to get cash thrown at them (batteries for the mics... the hotel isn't to quick on the draw.)

hell, the auction didn't make any money at SoCal, and that was literally 10 miles from their store in Burbank.

there is more cash going out than there is coming in.  there isn't a ton of money filling the pockets of Ken Fonarow and Frank Mentzer.  they do it cuz they love it.  believe it or not.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:33 pm 

I find it tough to believe it takes that many people to run an auction. They could easily turn a profit. They need to get rid of the leeches.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:21 pm 

Oh, I don't think there is much nefarious stuff going on anymore...The collecting market has become much to aware of the product. Sellers are more informed, buyers are equally more informed and since the auction is in a public arena, I don't think it would be too easy to pull a fast one anymore.

But it did happen. Don't be so dismissive, jtotheb, I've attended gencon for more than 20 years and I have the experience to know what it was like then versus what it was like several years later. That is a fact.

I would like to thank you volunteering you time, jtoheb. Many attendees have no clue that it takes thousands of volunteered hours to run a convention, especially gencon.

And I am with Deadlord on the profit thing. While I know it takes quite a few people to run the thing...they have been at it for years...someone should have figured out how to make it work...and I suspect they have.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:50 am 

sandralock51 is trying to sell that 3-hole punched Tsojconth again.  $625.00 or a BIN of $655.00.  I wonder how much she paid for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 03728&rd=1

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:58 am 

muaddib5 wrote:sandralock51 is trying to sell that 3-hole punched Tsojconth again.  $625.00 or a BIN of $655.00.  I wonder how much she paid for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 03728&rd=1

Yes, I'm watching these carefully as I'm considering selling mine... (need to recover some $$$ from all my eBaying).  Unfortunately it doesn't look like a good time to sell, nobody's biting.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:02 am 

Nobody's biting a 3-holed one. A normal one would sell just fine.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:25 am 

Deimos - check out a slightly older thread entitled "worth of a 3-hold punched Tsojconth.

Deadlord is right - you should be able to sell one in nice condition with no difficulties.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:39 pm 

The reason it's not selling is because it's three-hole punched.  
A Tsojconth in good, complete condition without any holes would do quite well, I imagine.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:15 pm 

Dungeon Floor Plans and Character Sheets in the UK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:02 pm 

dzubak wrote:Dungeon Floor Plans and Character Sheets in the UK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Good spot :)
Both incomplete ( Page Not Found ; thx), but nice condition.
Watch out for the "interesting" exchange rate mechanism which the seller wishes to impose, too.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:20 pm 

Good spot  

Thanks.

I saw the conversion but didn't think much of it.  It looks like the seller is charging 15c over the GBP to US rate and about 20c over the GBP to EUR rate.  When you factor in the "potential" final price along with the high cost of International shipping from the UK, it will really add up.

Good catch on that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:11 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5915955979

Decent price, I have only seen one other, bought by burntwire, who incidentally pushed the price up on me. Had I known you needed 2 of them, I'd have let you have it..........

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:38 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5915955979

Decent price, I have only seen one other, bought by burntwire, who incidentally pushed the price up on me. Had I known you needed 2 of them, I'd have let you have it..........

What are you talking about Frank? We don't own a copy of this or we wouldn't have bid that high. Here is the list of items we have from Little Soldier so you can update your "burntwire inventory":
-The Book of Monsters(2 different printings)
-The Book of Miniatures
-The Book of Sorcery
-Knights of the Round Table

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:39 am 

Ad&d lot that includes:

R3:The Egg of the Phoenix
T1-4:The Temple of Elemental Evil
The Illhiedrin Book?
Beastmaker Mountain
and a lot of Judges Guild stuff (City State World Emperor)

current bid $128, 2 days left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 89039&rd=1

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:06 am 

dzubak wrote:Ad&d lot that includes:

R3:The Egg of the Phoenix
T1-4:The Temple of Elemental Evil
The Illhiedrin Book?
Beastmaker Mountain
and a lot of Judges Guild stuff (City State World Emperor)

current bid $128, 2 days left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 89039&rd=1

From the item description:
"This lot is not for the serious collector".    8O

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 106123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 104105106