Dungeon Geomorphs - sets 1, 2, 3 vs. 1-3 blurbs
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:16 am 

From the description at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112
it sounds like each of the individual versions of the Dungeon Geomorphs offered new encounter ideas/etc.  

Perhaps silly of me, but I had always thought that all of the info from the first three individual sets had been compiled into the info on the collected set.  Anyone care to chime in with more details?  

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:39 am 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:From the description at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112
it sounds like each of the individual versions of the Dungeon Geomorphs offered new encounter ideas/etc.  

Perhaps silly of me, but I had always thought that all of the info from the first three individual sets had been compiled into the info on the collected set.  Anyone care to chime in with more details?  

Oh, Allan... Here I thought you were a Greyhawk guru ;-) In fact, no one has taken notice of these in the ubiquitous lists of Greyhawk products. I thought I might be the only person to even look at them in my collection.

The sets, all of them, had sample dungeon sections - classic Gygax ones: secret temples, lost demon gods, weird magic items, never again reproduced monsters, NPC's, etc. The walled city one has a listing of city occupations, a hand drawing of the City of Greyhawk (methinks by Gary himself), and a sample section of the City of Greyhawk (the Silvery Mart, Old Gate, Anchor Tavern, Society of Sages, Old Town Barracks, etc.), including adventure hooks to the Nyr Dyv. IMO one of the great unnoticed treasures of Greyhawk knowledge. I would not be surprised if the Dungeon Geomorph sample entries came from Castle Greyhawk!

Don't get too friendly with Kyleen... Radvar is very jealous! And beware the demon's amulet!

Gygax always manages to cram even the most inocuous item with reams of goodies. With three of Gary's paragraphs a DM could run a season's worth of campaigns.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:21 pm 

Yup, the geomorphs are worth picking up if only to read the page of encounter ideas.  :)  I believe that they were written by Gary with lots of inspiration from Ernie, but I can't be absolutely certain.  They are fun, though!

A few years ago, I ran a dungeon crawl campaign in which I fleshed out Greyhawk's drowic netherworld, using hooks found only in the Players Handbook (the magic mouth, the troll with twine, etc.), the DMG (Gutboy Barrelhouse and company, links from the sample dungeon), the Geomorphs, and the Monster & Treasure Assortments.  The players were all jaded OD&D veterans and were desperately trying to figure out which module I was using, so they could read up and take advantage.  It was pretty amusing.
:P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:22 am 

stormber wrote:
grodog wrote:From the description at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

Oh, Allan... Here I thought you were a Greyhawk guru ;-) In fact, no one has taken notice of these in the ubiquitous lists of Greyhawk products. I thought I might be the only person to even look at them in my collection.

Alas, none of the original editions of the geomorphs are not among my collection.  To hear now, after the fact, that the Walled City geomorphs contain long-lost Greyhawk lore makes me cringe when I decided not to bid on the $99 set recently sold on eBay :(  (Of course, that's also kept my wife happier, too ;) ).  

The sets, all of them, had sample dungeon sections - classic Gygax ones: secret temples, lost demon gods, weird magic items, never again reproduced monsters, NPC's, etc. The walled city one has a listing of city occupations, a hand drawing of the City of Greyhawk (methinks by Gary himself), and a sample section of the City of Greyhawk (the Silvery Mart, Old Gate, Anchor Tavern, Society of Sages, Old Town Barracks, etc.), including adventure hooks to the Nyr Dyv. IMO one of the great unnoticed treasures of Greyhawk knowledge. I would not be surprised if the Dungeon Geomorph sample entries came from Castle Greyhawk!

Wowza.  Sounds like these will be added to my short list of OOP products to find!  Thanks for the summaries Paul!

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:07 pm 

Good stuff darkseraphim, thanks for sharing the info!

So, are there any content differences among the various printings of the geomorphs?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:11 pm 

Allan, I haven't noticed any interior differences between printings of Sets 1, 2, and 3, or the Outdoor/Walled City.  But the later Set 1-3 reprint was specifically focused on the Moldvay edition of Basic D&D; it took out all of Gygax's original flavor and just left you with the maps.  The originals are where it's at.  But there is a cost-vs-content issue in collecting the originals, since you only get a few hooks per item.
8)

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:00 am 

And now I kill myself, for having cut up the originals I had at one time, and some where losing the material, oh What a silly 12 year old I was.
ken

Gygax is to Gaming what Kirby was to comics
Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:14 pm 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Stormber. :D

Well. Whadda ya know. I posted a photo of a bunch of cards a couple of weeks ago, and someone said they were geomorphs. Now I go and look in the envelope they came in and theres this two page orange on white leaflet on presumably the City of Greyhawk from back in the late 70's. What a gem. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:21 am 

Nice fine mbassoc2003 :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:55 am 

*bump*

Geomorphs question...compare:

Dungeons and Dragons TSR | eBay

1977 Dungeon Dragons Basic Set Extras | eBay

Both auctions are for the Geomorphs Set 1. However, bbarsh's auction has a sheet with blue text, and the other auction has a sheet with red text. Also, the graphics look slightly different. Are these the front and back of the same sheet? Or is the blue text sheet the back of one of the geomorphs? Or is there another explanation?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:25 am 

zhowar1 wrote:*bump*

D&D Dungeons Miniatures | eBay

Dungeons and Dragons Basic Set | eBay

Both auctions are for the Geomorphs Set 1. However, bbarsh's auction has a sheet with blue text, and the other auction has a sheet with red text. Also, the graphics look slightly different. Are these the front and back of the same sheet? Or is the blue text sheet the back of one of the geomorphs? Or is there another explanation?

If no one else answers, I can dig through my geos sets when I get home, but I won't be able to post an answer until Monday (no online access after hours, at present).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:10 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:*bump*

Dungeons and Dragons TSR | eBay

I'll pull out my earlier prints and compare them to the one I just sold. Give me a day or two, though. I got pack up 50 items from that auction group.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:39 pm 

grodog wrote:If no one else answers, I can dig through my geos sets when I get home, but I won't be able to post an answer until Monday (no online access after hours, at present).

Thanks, grodog. No rush, it's just an idle question. And it looks like bbarsh may be able to answer it.

I do have another question for you about the geomorphs. I came across your webpage detailing the sample encounters in the geomorphs:

Dungeon Geomorphs and Outdoor Geomorphs in Greyhawk

My question: are the encounters you have on your website all of the encounters, or just some (a representatitve sample)?

Also, I just noticed that you have added new material since I last looked at the page. You have a link to the encounters from the revised set combining original sets 1-3. This was surprising to me. From the previous posts in this thread and elsewhere, I was under the impression that the combined set did not have any sample encounters; just the geomorphs. But in actuality the combined set does have the sample encounters, but they have been edited to fit with the revised Basic/Expert D&D line?

One last request: since you were the original author of this thread, can you edit the subject line to change "Geomophs" to "Geomorphs"?  :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:40 pm 

bbarsh wrote: I'll pull out my earlier prints and compare them to the one I just sold. Give me a day or two, though. I got pack up 50 items from that auction group.

Thanks, no rush.  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:28 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:
grodog wrote:If no one else answers, I can dig through my geos sets when I get home, but I won't be able to post an answer until Monday (no online access after hours, at present).

Thanks, grodog. No rush, it's just an idle question. And it looks like bbarsh may be able to answer it.

No worries, I'll do some digging, we can all compare notes next week :D

I do have another question for you about the geomorphs. I came across your webpage detailing the sample encounters in the geomorphs:

Dungeon Geomorphs and Outdoor Geomorphs in Greyhawk

My question: are the encounters you have on your website all of the encounters, or just some (a representatitve sample)?

That's all of the geo sample encounters, alas.  I like the fact that all of them refer to other encounter areas, numbers, levels, etc., but what's on the page is all the information that there was.

Also, I just noticed that you have added new material since I last looked at the page. You have a link to the encounters from the revised set combining original sets 1-3. This was surprising to me. From the previous posts in this thread and elsewhere, I was under the impression that the combined set did not have any sample encounters; just the geomorphs. But in actuality the combined set does have the sample encounters, but they have been edited to fit with the revised Basic/Expert D&D line?

That's correct.  I only added them out of a sense of completeness, they are essentially the same as what's in the original Set 1 encounters, just Basic-ified.

One last request: since you were the original author of this thread, can you edit the subject line to change "Geomophs" to "Geomorphs"? :)

Done! :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:16 pm 

From what I've seen before, I thought that the red sheet in the basic set auction was the standard. It was actually the one in bbarsh's auction, with a blue sheet with different graphics, that looked "different" to me.

Could it be a printing difference?
According to:
Page Not Found
the early basic sets had the 1st or 2nd print Lizard Logo Set 1, whereas bbarsh's auction is for a 3rd print Wizard logo Set 1

The basic set in question has code 1001, so should contain 2nd print Geomorph set according to Acaeum Index

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:56 pm 

bbarshs' auction shows the front cover and pages.

D&D Dungeons Miniatures | eBay

peauctions' auction shows the back of the last page of the same set.

hope that helps

Mike

The blue writting sheet in bbarsh auction is the front of the red sheet in the second auction. If that makes sense.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:58 am 

chromaticknight wrote: The blue writting sheet in bbarsh auction is the front of the red sheet in the second auction. If that makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense. That was one possibility I considered in my first post. Thank you for the clearing that up!  :)