AM I being paranoid?
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:18 pm 

Hi All,

I would like people's opinions, if possible.

I bought an item on Ebay, from a well know, and very reputable seller in the USA.

I've waited quite a long time (well more than enough) and the item has not turned up.

He says he's sent it, and that it must be lost in the post.

I asked if he could send me a scan of the Proof of Posting, but he says its somewhere in a big box full of them and he would " prefer not to spend an hour getting it".

However, as it happens, he DOES have another copy of each the 4 modules involved, and, if I pay the postage, I can have those.

Otherwise, its tough on me -- or, as he says "Bummer eh?"

Now, he IS very reputable. However, if it was anyone else, I would be rather suspicious.

Thoughts please?

Thanks in advance,
Malcolm

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:48 pm 

Hi Malcolm,

even if it was lost in the post it is, of course, very bad customer service to not go and look up the proof of posting. If one in 500 items gets lost (and that would be much), it is OK to spend an hour looking up the proof. It is the duty of the seller.

In the case you mentioned, this looks very strange though. It is not the kind of behaviour one would expect from a reputable seller.

Maybe they don't like the English???

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:34 am 

Yes, well, l don't think he's acting very reputably either :(
Its sounding somewhat like the ST1/Canadian thing.

Out of interest, can any American say whether the proof of posting you get is identifiable to a package  i.e. in the UK a p-o-p has the receipients address on it?

Cheers,
Malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:58 pm 

The Domestic postal receipt only states the City and Zip, I assume for an International package it would also list the Country...

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:40 pm 

US postal receipts are pretty bare-boned, unless you pay for extra features, insurance, etc.  International ones list the type of shipment (such as "Air Letter-Post"), the destination countr, the weight, the postage type (not sure what categories there are, mine are almost always "PVI"), the base rate ($), the total costs, and the customs label #.  The customs slip has the specific address information, and a copy is retained by the post office the item is shipped out of.  But I can relate from personal experience that trying to get your hands on that customs slip after shipping can be a nightmare.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:12 pm 

from memory the recipt for australia is even more basic... cost and thats about it, no description on country etc

Brette:)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:23 am 

Veeerrrry suspicious.  In my experience I have found US sellers almost always bend over backwards to help when this happens.  And the USPS seems much better at retrieving items that go walkies than the (getting steadily worse) Royal Mail.

Tell him that it is not a "Bummer" for you as you can simply get your money back from paypal.  He has stated that he has the POP so he will have to show it to paypal in order to keep your hard earned ££££.

If you have no luck with paypal, your credit card company may be of some help.  I had a similar problem with a German ebayer who stated stuff had been sent and I got my money back two weeks after lodging a complaint.

Best of Luck.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:27 am 

Hi All,

thanks for the words.

Unfortunately, the item is outside the Paypal 30-day limit, and there was cash in my account so I didn't have to use a credit card.

I am now debating whether to stump up another $10 for postage, for an item which was probably never posted in the first place.  :cry:
I can't decide if its throwing good money after bad.

Funny, in very similar circumstances, deathlord came through and refunded all my money, yet nobleknight is acting like a complete t*sser - he's even been consistently rude, which I have rarely seen from a seller before.
Obviously, reputation is not everything.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:59 am 

Can't say what's going on. All I can say is that I have made good experiences with both Malcolm and Aaron as resellers. If I should rate them, I'd give Aaron a 9 and Malcolm a 10 on a 1-10 scale.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:53 am 

Howdy,

lawrenson wrote:I am now debating whether to stump up another $10 for postage, for an item which was probably never posted in the first place.  :cry:
I can't decide if its throwing good money after bad.

How long ago was it sent and what shipping method did you pay for (Air or Surface)? What was the value of the items?

I'd personally trust Aaron (or Bill) at Nobleknight if this happened to me. Given that, it sounds like he is willing to take a hit on his merchandise which is better than 98% of the online dealers. Having the buyer pay postage is standard behavior for returns, so it is not unusual here.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:38 am 

Just this past year I had a package sent by NKG that was mangled by the post office.  It was so badly mangled that it developed a huge hole and most of the contents fell out during shipping.  Only a small portion of my entire order (around $800 worth) was left inside.  I contacted Aaron and we tried from both our ends to see if the post office could recover any of the merchandise.  They couldn't.  Aaron sent me replacement copies of everything that was lost.  I'd be confident that he'd honor any e-mail agreement you arrived at with him.