NFL Fantasy Football - Acaeum Collectors League
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 73123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 717273
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:03 pm 

The Bremerton Yardbirds blasted their way into Monster Bowl VII this past week, defeating their arch-rivals, the Bellevue Christians.

Next week, we take on the Wilsonville Doomguard for the championship.

Both teams are undefeated in the Monster Bowl, with five wins between them.  The Yardbirds defeated the Doomguard for the first time earlier this season...a rare loss for the Doomguard in Wilsonville's dreaded Mordor Stadium.

My wife's team lost the consolation bracket game (which determines draft order...5th or 6th place...because Westbrook took a dive on the goal line.

Romo's non-performance almost cost the Yardbirds a playoff win...except that the other team had Owens.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:27 pm 

BTW, I'll give a little love to my high school Alma Mater, Trinity High School in Euless, who will play for the Texas state championship this weekend. They won it two years ago, then got beat by HS powerhouse Southlake Carrol last year.  They have gotten a lot of international pub the last few years because they perform a "Haka" before and after the game (the city and school boasts a very large contingent of Tongan and Samoan players).  Go to Youtube and put in the search "Euless Trinity Haka" and you can find one of the many postings on the subject...basically it's a traditional polynesian war dance that some students a few years ago adapted as sort of a cheer and rallying cry. It's caught on so much they have been featured on National news and a story in the Wall Street Journal.  I have to admit seeing the dance perfomed live is very intimidating, very primal and primitive, and I can see how the boys get really fired up afterwards.

They have only lost once this year..to Odessa Permian (Friday Night Lights team), but avenged the loss in the playoffs by destroying the unbeaten Mojo. They dominated on defense only allowing an average of 9 pts a game, with four shutouts.  It's hard to run past those 300 lbs Tongan boys...

It's interesting how things change. When I graduated Trinity in 1981, we had one black player on the football team.  Oh, and we SUCKED.  A 5-6 win season was a GREAT year. Now, all there are a handful of token whiteys on the team as the gigantic polynesian players have dominated the lineup the last few years.  Tongans and Samoans are a.....LARGE ethnic group....a few years ago they had a offensive lineman that was 6'3 and 320 lbs....!  Their star player this year is another defensive player, Mao Leota:

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/121507dnspohstrinity.20daafe.html

The QB of our championship team a couple years ago is now the starting QB for UTEP.  Trevor Vittatoe led all freshman QB's in the nation this year in passing yardage!

Well, enough love. I wish them luck against Converse Judson (another traditional Texas HS football powerhouse) at the Alamodome this weekend...here is a link to the offical Trojan website, so any non-Texans can see the incredible lengths we go to here in Texas when it comes to our "national" sport. There's not another state in the US that is HS football crazy as Texas...(the website averages over 100,000 hits a month...mindboggling!)

http://www.trinitytrojanfootball.com/
Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 am 

great stories there guys :)

John, that fog bowl thing is fab! that is excellent stuff. thats one thing i have to say i really admire about these NFL guys. barring lightning, they play the game. i wish our football over here was more like that. i think you would give them a damn sight more respect for it.

i remember a snow game many years ago. the pats won 3-0 but i cant remember who they played. that game was most enjoyable too!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:15 am 

Most of the games we play against Miami are snow bowls. Damn fish.........
My 3 bets for the year are almost within my grasp. Welker as the best Pats receiver, undefeated for 2007, and a Lombardi for the case. Muahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
The media is making a huge deal out of Jessica Simpson showing up at the Cowboys game to see her sweetie Tony Homo fall apart. Man, they will seize on anything they can, and make up things if they can't.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:04 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:I am well aware of the challenge ahead, and would not want any deference on your part - I want to beat you fair and square!  May the best team win!

Tee Hee
Nicely done.   :lol:

Just be gratefull I started Furrey after Roy Williams was IR'ed instead of McDonald two weeks back. If I had started McDonald instead or had started Marshall  8O   at one of my WR's spots, my team would be in the Championship game this week instead of your's.

Congrats and best of luck this week.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:03 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
Tee Hee
Nicely done.   :lol:

Just be gratefull I started Furrey after Roy Williams was IR'ed instead of McDonald two weeks back. If I had started McDonald instead or had started Marshall  8O   at one of my WR's spots, my team would be in the Championship game this week instead of your's.

Congrats and best of luck this week.

What two teams are in the championship?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 pm 

In the Acaeum Collector's League, it's bclarkies Dragons vs. smarmy1's Smarmy Shrinkwraps.  In the Luddite league, amazingly enough, it is my Screaming Iguanas vs. mdr003's Gelatinous Cubes.  I am not statistically favored to win, but I have learned over the past few weeks that it's pretty much a crapshoot.  No, what I meant to say is that skilled manipulation of players pays off!  :wink:

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:33 pm 

Congratulations to the top three in the Acaeum Collectors League -

#1 - bclarkie's Dragons
#2 - smarmy1's Smarmy Shrinkwraps
#3 - Kingofpain89's Screaming Evils

Well done!

Grudging admiration goes to the winner of the Luddite League,
#1 - mdr003's Gelatinous Cubes, as they nudged (okay totally pushed and shoved) my
#2 - Screaming Iguanas into second, with
#3 - khartsfield's Little Rock Playahs ending the season in third place.

Next year, guys..... next year!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 am 

Congrats to  mdr003's Gelatinous Cubes!!

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:17 pm 

Sorry I didn't give you guys a better challenge.

I found it hard to focus on three teams at once.

Also...I found the Yahoo site dang hard to work with.  The NFL.com site I am used to is pratically telepathic in comparison.

There are aspects of the Yahoo site that I never really did figure out how to use.

Mark

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:16 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Sorry I didn't give you guys a better challenge.

I found it hard to focus on three teams at once.

Also...I found the Yahoo site dang hard to work with.  The NFL.com site I am used to is pratically telepathic in comparison.

There are aspects of the Yahoo site that I never really did figure out how to use.

Mark

Yup, the yahoo site does indeed leave much to be desired IMO.

And yup congrats to the Cubes on the championship...........!!

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:36 pm 

A big congratulations to BClarkie and his Dragons who tore the wrapper off the Smarmy Shrinkwraps in the playoffs. Oh the pain! The pain!  :D :D :D

I would certainly like to play again next year; it was a blast.  My suggestion for next season would be to use a different interface... ESPN.com, NFL.com, etc. rather than the Yahoo! site.  I too found it difficult to navigate.  Having played in an ESPN league for years, I'm partial to their interface, but would be willing to use any of the better ones.

Also as others have suggested previously, to keep people interested (and playing all season) maybe we should have a 'prize' league and a 'fun' league.  The prizes could be contributed by the players to a pool for the 1st and 2nd place winners with a neutral arbiter to hold the goodies. (I nominate BadMike.  May I have a second?  All in favor, say 'Aye'.)   The prizes could be whatever RPG items we would like to put up within reason.  Just some thoughts, but we have plenty of time to develop the plans for next season.  :wink:  :wink:

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 am 

smarmy1 wrote:A big congratulations to BClarkie and his Dragons who tore the wrapper off the Smarmy Shrinkwraps in the playoffs. Oh the pain! The pain!  :D :D :D

I would certainly like to play again next year; it was a blast.  My suggestion for next season would be to use a different interface... ESPN.com, NFL.com, etc. rather than the Yahoo! site.  I too found it difficult to navigate.  Having played in an ESPN league for years, I'm partial to their interface, but would be willing to use any of the better ones.

Also as others have suggested previously, to keep people interested (and playing all season) maybe we should have a 'prize' league and a 'fun' league.  The prizes could be contributed by the players to a pool for the 1st and 2nd place winners with a neutral arbiter to hold the goodies. (I nominate BadMike.  May I have a second?  All in favor, say 'Aye'.)   The prizes could be whatever RPG items we would like to put up within reason.  Just some thoughts, but we have plenty of time to develop the plans for next season.  :wink:  :wink:

It would be a certainty that the overall Values of each managers contribution would vary. Possibly greatly.

I would rather make it a money league than a prize league. Each manager sending the neutral arbiter (League Commissioner?) the cash to hold before draft day, perhaps via Paypal, or some other cash transfer system.

BTW: Have I mentioned that I hate autodrafts?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:03 am 

Aneoth wrote:

You hate autodrafts?  I had no idea... :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 am 

Aneoth wrote:
It would be a certainty that the overall Values of each managers contribution would vary. Possibly greatly.

I would rather make it a money league than a prize league. Each manager sending the neutral arbiter (League Commissioner?) the cash to hold before draft day, perhaps via Paypal, or some other cash transfer system.

I already run a "money" league.....have for 14 years. I think for Acaeum purposes I would prefer something a lot less cut throat.  Money sometimes brings out the worst in people (imagine that....)

A nice compromise would be a "letter" module, complete and in decent shape, from everyone in the league.  Sent to the commish of whatever league long before draft day (say, in July).  A nice pile of goodies for the winner, who could keep them, sell them, donate them, whatever.  If you want we could even put a ban on any B2s or X1s.....so as not to be innudated with these!!!!

I'll work out something interesting, at least for the league I'll run, for next year.  Had a great time this year!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:52 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I already run a "money" league.....have for 14 years. I think for Acaeum purposes I would prefer something a lot less cut throat.  Money sometimes brings out the worst in people (imagine that....)

A nice compromise would be a "letter" module, complete and in decent shape, from everyone in the league.  Sent to the commish of whatever league long before draft day (say, in July).  A nice pile of goodies for the winner, who could keep them, sell them, donate them, whatever.  If you want we could even put a ban on any B2s or X1s.....so as not to be innudated with these!!!!

I'll work out something interesting, at least for the league I'll run, for next year.  Had a great time this year!

Mike B.

I would contribute cash to a fantasy football pot long before I would consider giving up one of my modules.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 pm 

It was a fun year - managing the Cubes to the championship was great fun. Although I probably had more fun with the Snit Smashers, even though I missed the playoffs. Drafting the team myself gave me a lot more investment with the team compared to the autodraft. Plus in a league of 16 it was much more difficult working the free agents, and consequently more satisfying when it worked - plucking Chris Redman out of obscurity and watching him throw 3 TDs, or picking up Warrick Dunn in a week he does well.... thats the fun of playing.

I'd be keen to play in a league where people contribute a module or similar. Playing for money adds interest for a lot of people but not so much for me - when there's money involved it becomes less fun.

Thanks to both commissioners for running the leagues this year, and I look forward to next year's competition.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:40 pm 

I would appreciate any feedback on the Acaeum Collector's league.  Plus I would like to hear about other free sites you have used and what specifically you liked better about them.  I played at NFL.com the first year it was free (~5 years ago?) and while intuitive, the customizable portions of it were a bit lacking at the time.

I am in a premium league (pay league) at CBS.com and really, really dislike the interfaces on that site.  And the last few years I thought NFL.com partnered with CBS so that kept me away.  Part of it might be that I am just so used to Yahoo.com as I have had a league there for the last several years.

Any insight to other free sites would be appreciated.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 73123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 717273