NFL Fantasy Football - Acaeum Collectors League
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:07 am 

ah well i fell well short in the end - think it was 93-103 - cest la vie :)

omg i have the dragons this week, so a pasting is on the cards :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 am 

Well, my team was completely obliterated as my opponents team more than DOUBLED my teams score.

8O  8O  8O  8O 113-229 8O  8O  8O  8O

Pathetic. :oops:  :roll:

Now THAT is a pasting............

And, it is not a matter of my not managing well by starting the correct players either. I started the best players I could have, with only two exceptions. My teams TE spot would have gotten a couple more points with my other TE and I should have benched Deuce Mac and started ANY WR in his place at the flex spot. (I have no other option at RB). Yet, even with those two minor starter revisions, my team would still have been slaughtered by over 100 points. :roll:

It will not get any better either, no matter what others might say or think. The aints are not going to score 45 points with 5-6 passing TD's per game. And Larry Johnson is not going to gain 150 yards per game with 2 TD's and 8 catches and another TD receiving. However, I am sure that both will create far better numbers this year than their current production would seem to indicate, as both are too good not to.

The leagues rule that we cannot trade any of our top 3 draft picks makes it all but impossible for the lowest rung of the teams to upgrade at any position. Since the more productive teams which have players that those lower producing teams need/want have little or NO interest in the crap players those lower teams CAN trade.

After week one, I was offered a trade for one of my best receivers to get a backup RB who plays for an NFL team with the infamous share the carries RB situation and MIGHT get 60 yards per game average on the year. And I thought about making the trade. I declined that trade, since I already have a RB that does not produce on my team. One that shares the backfield RB position (Deuce McAllister).

Not being able to trade any player you want is simply asinine. The only other time I have seen that situation was in keeper leagues. Where you keep one to three (or more) players through the next season and cannot trade or drop them, except under certain conditions. Like if they go to prison, die, or retire.

If the top three picks were tradable I could get great value for Drew Brees and/or Larry Johnson (Or Edgerrin James, who I would NOT trade since he is actually scoring decent Fantasy Points). We all know that both Brees and Johnson will eventually get on track and end up with good numbers, even if they have been slow to get started. However, at 0-2 and little hope for improvement with pathetic production from my two top draft picks my team needs production from my starters NOW and few if any of the other teams in the league are in the least bit interested in most of my other players. Why should they be? None of my players are scoring as well as their starters and most teams have Backups sitting on the bench all the time who consistently outscore my teams starters……

My only slim hope is that some team or other wants to shore up some BACKUP roster spot on their bench! Slim indeed…………

The only other thing I can do (And have been doing) as my pathetic teams manager is to try to make my team at least somewhat competitive by constantly hitting the waiver wire taking one week players that have good matchups (supposedly) and have a chance to do well against some defense each week. No way will my team make the playoffs, but I can make the middle and the other lesser teams in the league work to beat my crap team.

Its all I can do.

Have I mentioned that I hate autodrafts?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:22 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Have I mentioned that I hate autodrafts?

Yes....you have.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:44 pm 

Aneoth wrote:  The leagues rule that we cannot trade any of our top 3 draft picks makes it all but impossible for the lowest rung of the teams to upgrade at any position. Since the more productive teams which have players that those lower producing teams need/want have little or NO interest in the crap players those lower teams CAN trade.

This is not quite correct.  Per Yahoo (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/football/rosters/football-68.html):

The Can't Cut list, which is updated when necessary to account for injury or performance issues, prevents managers at the bottom of the standings from changing the league dynamics by waiving all of their outstanding players. Players are added and removed from the list as appropriate during the season.

This list does not affect your ability to swap a player between active and bench, or make a trade involving him.
(Emphasis mine).

Unfortunately I am not in the luddite league or I would take LJ off your hands.    :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:58 pm 

Avurax wrote:
This is not quite correct.  Per Yahoo (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/football/rosters/football-68.html):

This list does not affect your ability to swap a player between active and bench, or make a trade involving him. (Emphasis mine).

Unfortunately I am not in the luddite league or I would take LJ off your hands.    :D
lol as if I would simply drop them without any replacements.......

SWEET...........
Anyone in the Luddite league want to trade for Brees or Johnson, or BOTH?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:05 pm 

Well, I had several trade offers for Larry Johnson, and one of the proposals was tempting, but I turned them down. The offers have stopped, I guess the greedy vultures circling overhead are not yet convinced the mutilated critter lying on the ground is pretty much dead.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:06 pm 

Hindsight being 20/20, I would have given the Dragons a run for their money had I realized that Cadillac Williams would play hurt.  Can I have a do-over and not bench him? :wink:

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:42 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Well, I had several trade offers for Larry Johnson, and one of the proposals was tempting, but I turned them down. The offers have stopped, I guess the greedy vultures circling overhead are not yet convinced the mutilated critter lying on the ground is pretty much dead.

I thought for sure you'd take the Alexander trade.... especially with the TE upgrade thrown in as a sweetener. Never mind, I'm happy to keep him on the Cubes roster for a little longer.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:49 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I thought for sure you'd take the Alexander trade.... especially with the TE upgrade thrown in as a sweetener. Never mind, I'm happy to keep him on the Cubes roster for a little longer.
Regards
Mike

I was just trying to upgrade my team without trying to rip off the other manager, or get hosed myself. Larry Johnson is not dead......... and he is without doubt one of the top RB's in the NFL; he has simply faced two of the toughest Run defenses in the league during weeks 1 and 2 and that will continue for a bit longer too. Still LJ has managed to get a decent fantasy points, about the same as Deuce MacAllister and Drew Brees COMBINED in fact.

Your proposal was the only one that was doable for my team (IMO), and I was tempted. However, the other offers (Involving Larry Johnson anyway)would have required me to take a serious hit at RB and no upgrades anywhere else, something I would not have done in any case.

Anyway, I am fully aware that Larry Johnson will continue to go against some of the roughest defences in the NFL for a bit longer before he gets going. But once he gets past those games, he will be a rock solid stud for whomever has him on the roster.

No further offers have come in, and none at all for Drew Brees (?!?!) so it looks like LJ will remain on my teams roster.  

With no concerns of being wrong (barring serious injury of course) I hereby make a fearless prediction that Larry Johnson will end this NFL season as a top 5 RB in the NFL. Of course... by that time (End of the season) my team will be done and I will be watching the playoffs from the sidelines............ at 0-14............ or perhaps 2-12... after all any dog can find an occasional bone here and there.   :lol:    :roll:    :?   8O  :(  

hmmmmmmmm .....  perhaps I should have named my team "The Biggest Losers".
I wonder if I can change it? 8)

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:50 pm 

Aneoth wrote:hmmmmmmmm .....  perhaps I should have named my team "The Biggest Losers".
I wonder if I can change it? 8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Yup I can.... and did...........
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:34 am 

News Flash:  The Saints, and their players, officially SUCK!

Brees looks like a low-rent Quincy Carter out there...

Bush MIGHT have 100 yds total from all three games this season (although he did break out with 2 TDs last night)...

You would think a team this bad would throw more, as they are continually behind by 21 pts, but even the WRs are amassing very standard numbers.....

And to add misery to Saint's players owners, Deuce Deuce is out for the season......!  :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:41 am 

Yeah, even Tomlinson is doing better than Reggie.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:45 am 

Did anyone watch that NO Aints game last night?

8O  8O Oh My God.  8O  8O

Are the coaches simply stupid? Can they not see what EVERYONE else in the world can?

Brees cant pass the ball with any authority or accuracy if he is constantly harassed by every defensive player on the opponents team AND none of his TE's, WR's, or RB's can find a way to get open and on the rare occasions when do get open, they drop the ball, or flick it into the defenses hands. :roll:  

The only offense seems to be Bush and even that is pathetic as far as overall production. But at least he does catch most of the tosses coming his way.

This has been the same for all three games this season. You can tell Brees is totally frustrated and perhaps even desperate. See the 4 INT's he tossed last night (And the fumble too), too many of his pass attempts are being tossed into blanket coverage and most (if not all) of those passes should be tossed into the stands. He is playing like a rookie QB in his first game…..

After watching the (lack of) effort by the Aints last night, I cannot see how NO will win any games this year. Unless the NFL competition committee adds some high school football teams to the Aints season schedule........... and they play late at night after bedtime. :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:03 am 

Aneoth wrote:Did anyone watch that NO Aints game last night?

8O  8O Oh My God.  8O  8O

Are the coaches simply stupid? Can they not see what EVERYONE else in the world can?

Brees cant pass the ball with any authority or accuracy if he is constantly harassed by every defensive player on the opponents team AND none of his TE's, WR's, or RB's can find a way to get open and on the rare occasions when do get open, they drop the ball, or flick it into the defenses hands. :roll:  

The only offense seems to be Bush and even that is pathetic as far as overall production. But at least he does catch most of the tosses coming his way.

This has been the same for all three games this season. You can tell Brees is totally frustrated and perhaps even desperate. See the 4 INT's he tossed last night (And the fumble too), too many of his pass attempts are being tossed into blanket coverage and most (if not all) of those passes should be tossed into the stands. He is playing like a rookie QB in his first game…..

After watching the (lack of) effort by the Aints last night, I cannot see how NO will win any games this year. Unless the NFL competition committee adds some high school football teams to the Aints season schedule........... and they play late at night after bedtime. :roll:

Bush should increase his stats with Deuce Deuce gone....no more sharing, let's see if the kid can carry the load.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Brees. He reminds me of some of the more forgettable Dallas QBs during the "Dark Ages" of the early aughts....(Chad Hutchnson, Quincy Carter, Vinnie Testeverde, etc).  Amazing how Sean Payton went from genius to clueless in one off season!

I hope they win a game or two...the Cowboys have the Browns 1st round pick this year, we need some other teams to win a few...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:17 am 

Badmike wrote:Bush MIGHT have 100 yds total from all three games this season (although he did break out with 2 TDs last night)... And to add misery to Saint's players owners, Deuce Deuce is out for the season......!  :cry:  Mike B.
Bush now has 70 yds rec and 80 rushing total. With 2 TD's and 2 fumbles.

Actually Deuce being gone is a nothing but boon for you and every other FFB owner of Bush. He will now be THE featured back (If he wasnt already) and he will continue to be Brees's dump off receiver out of the backfield, and as a bonus he will now get most (if not all) of the red zone (goal line) carries as well. That is if the Aints ever manage to somehow get to the goal line again.

All ya'll need to pray for now is that the coaches get a clue and start using him for more than window dressing.
The Aints have averaged a paltry 22 runs per game this year. Thats for ALL runs by anyone.
Most featured RB's in the NFL run the ball that much or more in ONE game.

The coach even admitted as much in the teams news conferance after the previous weeks loss. "We have to get back to basics...... we need to start running the ball more......."

HELLO?????

That means RUN THE FREEKING BALL COACH. Even if the first 10 rushes only get 20 yards. You cannot give up on the run. Each one of those punishing 2 yard runs will wear down the defense more and more. After a quarter or two of pushing the offensive line into the defenses face, the passing game MIGHT just open up a bit, and by the late 3rd and 4th quarter that is when the RB's start to kill the defense. If your team gives up on the run early after only gaining 20-30 yds on 10-15 carries, then, they are doomed to have a crappy running game. In fact they CAUSED IT....... Because they gave up on it too soon.

Offense: "We cant run, so lets pass......."
Defense: "They cant run on us so lets stack our guys against the pass........."

DUH!!

Every defense the Aints have faced have used all their skill players to shut down Brees and the passing game. Why? Because they all know the Aints aint even gonna try to run it on em....... :roll:

(As a side note, I am a little bit surprised that Detroit and Kitna are still enjoying so much sucess with the same passing methods. Of course the Lions have a much better offensive front line than the Aints do)

The Aints of New Orleans paid a high price for Bush... so freeking use him you buncha idiots............. :roll:  :roll:   sheese...........

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 am 

Aneoth wrote:
(As a side note, I am a little bit surprised that Detroit and Kitna are still enjoying so much sucess with the same passing methods. Of course the Lions have a much better offensive front line than the Aints do)

The Aints of New Orleans paid a high price for Bush... so freeking use him you buncha idiots............. :roll:  :roll:   sheese...........

As a excuse, the WR corps of Williams, Johnson, McDonald and Furrey are far superior to anything the Saints can throw out there besides Marques Colston.  All Kitna has to do is throw the ball in the air, one of those studs will catch the ball, and all is well.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:44 am 

Badmike wrote:
As a excuse, the WR corps of Williams, Johnson, McDonald and Furrey are far superior to anything the Saints can throw out there besides Marques Colston.  All Kitna has to do is throw the ball in the air, one of those studs will catch the ball, and all is well.....

Mike B.
Good point, though mine is still valid. The AINTS spent all their money and recruiting efforts during the off season on spots nowhere near the offensive line and they are now paying the price for that lack of foresight.......

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 pm 

News flash for anyone in a fantasy league out there where this player (Selvin Young)  is still available....or if you have Travis Henry.  You might be able to trade Henry (you sorry sob!) or pick up Young before tomorrow mornning and the news gets out there....

News: A report out of Denver, according to myfoxcolorado.com, says Travis Henry has apparently tested positive for marijuana and a one-year suspension might be looming for the running back since it would be his second violation of the league's substance abuse policy. If this report is true, Selvin Young would take over as the starting tailback for the Broncos.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext