NFL Fantasy Football - Acaeum Collectors League
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:18 am 

As requested, I am starting a new thread for those who are interested in playing NFL Fantasy Football.  I have set up a league at Yahoo.  The league is intended to be a fun league with all levels of experience welcome.

Not knowing the computer savvy of those interested, I am listing a detailed set of instructions for joining the league.
Click on the following link: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1.  This takes you to the Yahoo Fantasy Football '07 Home Page
In the "It's Go Time!" section, click on the "Sign Up Now" button.  This should take you to the "Sign in to Yahoo!" page.  
You will need a Yahoo ID.
*If you have a Yahoo ID already, sign in.
*If not, click on the "Sign Up" button toward the bottom right of the screen next to the "Don't have a Yahoo! ID?" section.  You will be asked a few questions and then can continue.
Once you are signed in, you should be at the "Welcome to Fantasy Football registration" page.
Click on the "Join league" button under "Managers - Join existing league" header.
This should bring up the "Join a League" page.
Under the "Accept an invitation to join a Custom League" header, select the "Join Custom" button.
Input League ID: 374449
Input Password: acaeum
Save & Continue

There will probably be a couple more questions after that such as a team name and helmet selection.  
Note: You can change your team name later.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:26 am 

Well I am in. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 am 

i've signed up too. The Gouged Eye r bak n Biznezz :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:35 am 

I'm in too.  Although I already had to change my team name cause it clashed with someone else's.  PDT_Armataz_01_27

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:49 am 

I'll join when I get home!

"A war without fire is like sausages without mustard!"  Henry V of England.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 pm 

The "Block Wipes" are ready to roll this season.....!

What day is the draft?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 pm 

Snit Smashers are all suited up, ready to play.

I'm looking forward to the smack talk already... "THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH"

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:35 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Snit Smashers are all suited up, ready to play.

I'm looking forward to the smack talk already... "THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH"

Regards

Mike

Ahh, I was hoping you get in Mike. :)   You are on your own this time though. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 pm 

I'm in as The Killer B's.

Ben.S.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:10 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Ahh, I was hoping you get in Mike. :)   You are on your own this time though. :wink:

Thanks Brian.... looking forward to the matchup. Which team is yours? just so I know which game I *have* to win...

I did OK last year on my own - but I think that was only because I was lucky enough to draft Tomlinson. Hope I get him again.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:41 pm 

I'm in.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:13 pm 

I'm in!  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:41 am 

The Freeport Gargoyles are signed up and ready!

When is the draft?

Is it an automatic draft?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:12 am 

The Smarmy ShrinkWraps are ready to go ....  :D  :D  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 am 

FormCritic wrote:The Freeport Gargoyles are signed up and ready!

When is the draft?

Is it an automatic draft?

yeah i dont understand all that. far too american for me :)

how do i get hold of an ogre blitzer :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:29 am 

Badmike wrote:The "Block Wipes" are ready to roll this season.....!

What day is the draft?

Mike B.

How screwed up is it that the first game pits my team against yours?  Badmike, who has spent countless hours over the last decade or so organizing hardcore NFL fantasy leagues versus kingofpain89...a poor soul who has never once played fantasy league football.  This is sure to be interesting.  :roll:

I did play in a fantasy baseball league once.  That was an absolute nightmare.  I forgot to draft a closer and spent the first quarter of the season without a decent relief pitcher.  Two of my starting pitchers got hurt early on and there were no good pitchers left.  My greatest home run threat went on the disabled list a third of the way through the season and didnt come back until halfway through August.  I still ended up in sixth place (out of 12).

The first person that can tell me where I got the name for my team (Screaming Evils) I will buy them a beer (applies to GenCon attendees only.  Anyone else answering the question correctly gets a virtual pat on the back).  8)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I did play in a fantasy baseball league once.  That was an absolute nightmare.  I forgot to draft a closer and spent the first quarter of the season without a decent relief pitcher.  Two of my starting pitchers got hurt early on and there were no good pitchers left.  My greatest home run threat went on the disabled list a third of the way through the season and didnt come back until halfway through August.

So, my best bet would just be not to choose anyone you choose? :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:49 am 

Fantasy Football Draft Primer 101
Those who have played fantasy football before can skip down to the "Draft Day & Time" section.

Yahoo has ranked every draft eligible player based on where Yahoo's "experts" believe a player should be drafted.  However, most people have their own opinions on where a guy should be drafted.  Because of this, Yahoo gives you the ability to adjust ranking to your taste.  To get to the player rankings, follow the directions below:  

Assuming you have joined the league, you can click on the following link: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/acaeumcollectors

Sign In
Click on "My Team"
Then in the middle of the page, click on "Pre-Draft Player Rankings"
Click on "Edit My Rankings" (it is in white next to "Pre-Draft Player Rankings List")
The "Edit Pre-Draft Player Rankings" screen is displayed with three columns "Exclude Players", "List of Players", "My Players".  The Exclude Players and My Players column will be blank initially.
In the "Sort Available Players By:" section you can filter players by a few different Criteria including:
*Yahoo's Rank or Player last name AND/OR
*Top 25, Top 100, Top 500, All AND/OR
*All Positions or specific position
Then select the "Go" button

After you filter players, the "List of Players" column will change based on your filter.  You can then drag and drop players into the "My Players" list or the "Exclude Players" list.
Players in "My Players" become your default order (superseding Yahoo's rankings).  If you don't rank players, you will default to Yahoo's rankings.  Some people might rank 50 players and then go with the Yahoo rankings.
The "Exclude Players" column is used to select players you do not want on your team.

Be sure to click on the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen when you are done or your rankings will be lost. You can update your rankings as often as you like, right up until draft time.

DRAFT DAY & TIME
The draft date must be before the first regular season game Thursday, September 6th.  My recommendation would be some time next week (8/13-8/19) or the week after (8/20-8/26) but whatever the majority decides is fine with me.

When I set up the league, I let it default to an Auto-Draft.  This means that a day is selected and the teams are chosen automatically based on your (or Yahoo's) rankings.  The draft occurs overnight and the next day everyone has a team based on their rankings and the players that were available.

I went with auto-draft because I wasn't sure if we could get anyone together at the same time.  For me, the draft is my favorite part of the fantasy football experience so I would love to interact with league members for a "live" draft.  If we can find a day and time where more than a couple of teams could meet online (at Yahoo) I will change the draft type to "live".

Note: If the draft is changed to "live" and you are not able to attend, then your selections will be made based on your rank lists (as though you were participating in an auto-draft).  So, if 10 of 14 people show up, the 4 people who are absent won't lose their place in the draft order.  When it is their turn, the computer automatically selects the person highest on their rank list.

So, anyone want to live draft?  If so, what date and time (please include time zone) work for you?

I am early to bed and early to rise.  So a Sunday through Thursday live draft starting much after 9 PM Central Daylight Time will probably not see me in the final rounds (though I will show up for as long as possible).  But I don't need to be there and am ok with an auto-draft since I will rank all my players.  Friday evenings and Saturdays, I could be ready at any time.

Next