French D&D basic set
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:29 pm 

I saw that only 3 printings of the french basic D&D set are stated. It exists 4 printings in fact, not only 3.
I post this here if someone have other informations to add about these 4 printings (I didn't look through the rulebook to search for more differences)

1st :
copyright : box 1980 on the front, 1982 on the back ; rulebook 1982 on the front and back cover and on the first page ; B2 1982 with on the first page « imprimé aux USA » and « printed in USA »
logo : face logo on each
contents : rulebook and B2
Rulebook was never released alone before. In fact, in 1982 another Donjons et Dragons rulebook was printed alone and edited by Solar (every TSR products were distributed by Transecom in France in these years). I twas written by Mathilde Maraninchi. But this book was done without any permission of TSR, and the rules were totally differents. This is not a traduction of D&D basic rules but another game (however, a lot of rules are similar).

2nd :
copyright : box no copyR on the front, 1982 on the back ; rulebook 1983 on the front cover , 1983 on the back cover, 1982 in the first page ; B2 1982 with on the first page « imprimé aux USA » only
logo : angled logo on each
contents : rulebook, B2, a pencil and dice.

3rd :
copyright : box no copyR on the front, 1983 on the back ; manuel des joueurs and livre du maitre 1985 in the first page, « 3ème édition » is stated in the first page
contents : 2 rulebooks and dice (no pencil)
On the side of the box, there is a grammatical mistake : « Touts droits réservés » instead of « Tous droits réservés ».
The box is made with a thin cardboard, very soft.
Not printed in UK at all, the only reference to UK is on the back of the box, with a reference to the adress of TSR in USA and in UK

4th :
copyright : box no copyR on the front, 1983 on the back ; manuel des joueurs and livre du maitre november 1987 in the first page, « 4ème édition » is stated on the first page
contents : 2 rulebooks and dice (I don't know if a pencil was present or not)
On the side of the box, the grammatical error have been corrected. The font of the title of the rulebooks are changed (Manuel des joueurs is written in italic now) and the mention « lire ce livre en premier » or « lire ce livre en second » are in italic too and in yellow. Instead of « jeu de roles fantastiques » as on the 3rd print, it is written « jeu de roles d'aventures fantastiques ».
The box is made with a heavy  cardboard, very hard and patent. On the box, the font of the title on the back have been changed, and a sentence addedd on the right bottom « la conformité du présent produit… » because of french legislation.
Not printed in UK at all, the only reference to UK is on the back of the box, with a reference to the adress of TSR in USA and in UK

I can provide scan of everything is needed.