Meet at the Collectable Auction Friday Night 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
Lunch Saturday 13%       13%  [ 2 ]
Dinner Saturday before Collectable Auction 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
Meet at the Collectable Auction Saturday Night 19%       19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:25 am 

Kaskoid wrote:I'm auctioning minaiatures until 2:30 on Friday. Anytime after is OK so far; do not know what they have me scheduled for. It will probably be the big auctions on Fri and Sat nites, so I may be able to make it, if I'm still welcome. If I'm not dead broke, that is.

why would you not be welcome? you had better show up if i am flying 5000+ miles to come see everyone!!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:58 pm 

All Acaeum members(and guests) are invited.

However, please email me individually so I can get a count for reservations. They may even have a special room they can set aside.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:28 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:All Acaeum members(and guests) are invited.

However, please email me individually so I can get a count for reservations. They may even have a special room they can set aside.

[email protected]

incoming e-mail!!!

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:12 am 

one thing i meant to ask...cos i didnt get the chance due to plans change last year.....is frank gonna do a behind the scenes thing on the auction again?

would love to see how it all works n stuff....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:04 am 

I'm quite willing but dunno if I'm Allowed.

New management.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:07 am 

Claddagh, eh? Good choice imho.

Forget the Ram except for early lunch; it's good but overexposed and almost always packed.

I can prolly make it; depends on when I start Friday night.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 am 

ExTSR wrote:I'm quite willing but dunno if I'm Allowed.

New management.

frank, well as long as i can come say "hullo" i dont really mind anyway and considering i am flying 5000+ miles to visit, tell the management thats in a good cause :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:14 pm 

Sure.

Do you look just like your avatar?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:25 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Sure.

Do you look just like your avatar?

hehe nah :)

this is me:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:31 pm 

I should be able to make it; I've still got Friday afternoon open. The Claddagh is a good choice; I ate there last year, fine place. I'll be sending along an e-mail shortly...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 am 

Is there a list of what is beiing Austioned at all??

Brette:)

ps Oh.. Frank how do we go about getting those badges??

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:48 am 

See the GenCon boards for some comments from people about what they're putting up... but generally we don't know what's coming. More than 10,000 items arrive by surprise within a couple of days, and there's no time to produce or publicize a master list.

The custom Acaeum buttons were a special that I arranged last year (and paid for myself), but I won't have time to do that this time. I just opened a third location of my business -- in a shopping mall -- and I'm kinda buried...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 am 

damn no Acaeum button :)

well my plane tickets arrived this morning, so we are in business!

Indianapolis here i come!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:40 am 

Tell you what, killjoy32--I have a couple of extras from last year so I will be glad to let you have one of them...

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:51 am 

Kaskoid wrote:Tell you what, killjoy32--I have a couple of extras from last year so I will be glad to let you have one of them...

hey! that sounds damn good of you! great stuff!

am really looking forward to this trip - should be a bunch of fun all round :)

god help Jeff if a blasted land comes up for auction while i am there  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

really look forward to seeing everyone!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:20 am 

Al just reminded me of a question I wanted to pose regarding the Gen Con auction.  Lets say Acaeum member A wants a copy of Blasted Land and will pay a ridiculous amount to get it.  Acaeum member B also wants Blasted Land but really needs a 4th whitey.  Acaeum member A wouldnt mind having yet another 4th whitey but wants the Blasted Land more.

If Acaeum members A & B discuss their particular wants and needs before the auction and work out a deal that they wont push up the price needlessly on a particular item, it would be beneficial for both members.   I would be happy to lay off bidding on say RPGA modules 1-4 if an Acaeum member that really wanted them gave me the same due when a Tricolor or Boot Hill came up.

Is this common practice at the auction or is it just pretty much every collector for himself?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Al just reminded me of a question I wanted to pose regarding the Gen Con auction.  Lets say Acaeum member A wants a copy of Blasted Land and will pay a ridiculous amount to get it.  Acaeum member B also wants Blasted Land but really needs a 4th whitey.  Acaeum member A wouldnt mind having yet another 4th whitey but wants the Blasted Land more.

If Acaeum members A & B discuss their particular wants and needs before the auction and work out a deal that they wont push up the price needlessly on a particular item, it would be beneficial for both members.   I would be happy to lay off bidding on say RPGA modules 1-4 if an Acaeum member that really wanted them gave me the same due when a Tricolor or Boot Hill came up.

Is this common practice at the auction or is it just pretty much every collector for himself?

well pain....if me you mike and others (if they want) all sit together, we could maybe discuss what we are/are not after and then take it from there? seems a little silly to just waste funds just for the hell of it. though doing that, then defeats Franks purpose of getting funds for the seller.

i was only joking. i know jeff wants blasted land pretty bad, i already have one, so wouldnt actually bid if he was etc.

maybe we could talk about it over lunch or something?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:hey! that sounds damn good of you! great stuff!

These are GenCon Auction buttons that I speak of.
I think the Acaeum were all personalized. Mine was a Tramp charicature rendered by Tom Wham--does it get any better than that?

Kingofpain89 wrote:Al just reminded me of a question I wanted to pose regarding the Gen Con auction...

I can't ever remember an auction in all my years where I didn't see two bidders that knew each other not nod to one another and then one back off.
As a seller, I submit my item and hope for the best bidding war possible. However, when the last two bidders standing are friends, I expect that one will concede to the other at some point, or risk their friendship fracturing.

BTW, I am auctioning, for charity, a rather unusual item that would solve this potential conflict: the actual Staff of Jaroo Ashstaff (Village of Hommlet). It is a 77 inch wooden staff that I have had since the last GenCon held at the Horticultural Hall; I bought it off a fellow that needed gas money to get home. Paid a pretty good price, but it is a beautiful piece of wood. Needless to say, provenance and documents for IRS will be provided. The winner could knock senseless anyone daring to bid against him the rest of the night. ROTFLMAO

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

PreviousNext