Lunch Saturday 13%       13%  [ 2 ]
Dinner Saturday before Collectable Auction 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
Meet at the Collectable Auction Saturday Night 19%       19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:13 am 

Well guys GenCon2007 has faded, but it left us with great memories and a freaking boat load of STUFF.

Al - It was a blast.  I really mean that.  The gift of the 1st Print Tegel Manor was not necessary at all, however I'm really honored to have it.

My favorite texans - Mike and John.  Glad you guys made the convention.  Enjoyed walking, talking, looking at jugs with you.  I truely hope you make it back next year.  (Note to all the Alcaeum members - Al, Mike, and John never failed to answer the many questions I had.  These guys really know their stuff.  I was really blown away by the in-depth knowledge [especially Mike] these guys possess about the all things D and D.

As for me - I embarrassed myself by bidding a beautiful print of two dragons staring down each other up to $265.  I was phyiscally tired and metally tired of watching Stratochamp, Blackmoor, the Burtwire boys, Al, Net Rodent win just about everything worth winning.  So I decided I was going to get that print.  Well I did win it at $265.  After I paid for it, I notice a price sticker on the back.  If I had bought this on the dealer floor it would have cost me $65.  Oh well.  I will be better prepared for next year since I will definately learn from my mistake.

To all the Acaeum member who could not attend.   I really hope that you will be able to make the GenCon 2008 I will do my best to make you feel welcome.  Indianapolis is a great city.  Everything is within walking distance and the prices are quite good.  Hotels are resonably priced and very close with several have skywalks into the convention center.

So I hope to see you in 2008.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:23 pm 

:cry: Missed the dinner and everyone from the Acaeum for that matter.
Wasn't the greatest Con for me, but still glad to have gone.

Still pouring through emails, messages, etc with the time I have today.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:56 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Well guys GenCon2007 has faded, but it left us with great memories and a freaking boat load of STUFF.

Al - It was a blast.  I really mean that.  The gift of the 1st Print Tegel Manor was not necessary at all, however I'm really honored to have it.

My favorite texans - Mike and John.  Glad you guys made the convention.  Enjoyed walking, talking, looking at jugs with you.

Hopefully you don't mean my jugs, Martin.... :wink:

What a great time, can't believe I waited 40 years to do this.  I was just blown away by the whole shebang. What stands out are two guys, Frank Mentzer and Tim Kask, who are two of the best ambassadors for the hobby ever.  Frank is a professional in the auction room, a pleasure to watch, and one of the most approachable legends in the industry.  I never saw him turn anyone away or blow someone off even if he was in the middle of 5 things, he always had something to say or was able to give a signature.  Just a great guy. And Tim...I don't think I've ever seen anyone interact with fans better than he did!  Like Frank he always had something to say or a comment to make for anyone wanting to take the time.  Tim is one of those legends that truly seems to enjoy talking to the fans, it was really too bad I didn't get to sit and be regaled with stories by him at the Acaeum dinner friday night.  I don't remember the name of Stratochamp's friend (his DM for 25 years I believe he said) who not only got to sit at the table with Tim that night and hear his tales, but the next night won Tim's staff at the late night auction, wow!  Anyway, just top marks to these two men who I can't speak of highly enough.  
     And on to the Acaeum members...well, I read the missives above and realize I will be just reiterating what is already written.  But those who know how longwinded I am know I'm going to waste your time anyway...

Kingofpain....great guy, it was a pleasure to watch him purchase his first true rare with the win of the Guidon Chainmail.  I hope his wife doesn't try to blame me NOT MY FAULT.  Except for one road rage incident on the way home when some dude tried to "bright" us on the highway, we managed to spend 13 hours in the car both ways to Indy without killing each other.  Enjoy your goodies man!

Prufrock.....I have to say I didn't know much about Martin before the trip having only talked to him ocassionally online. Except for him being a Colts fan he's just the greatest guy, very laidback and mellow (might have been the painkillers though), opening his home for Al and basically being our tourguide of his hometown, despite some back pain from a medical condition which I could see was slowing him down.....he was a great host and I have a lot of respect for him dealing with the back and us at the same time. I hope I can get together with him next year....and don't worry about the artwork Martin it's a beautiful piece, I bet it is worth what you paid for it in no time, not to mention it was a charity donation so don't beat yourself up over it.....

Killjoy...what can I say. Al is exactly what he seems like online down to the wry sense of humor and all the UK speech impediments  :D Man I was so glad he made it and I was there to hang with him.  He was treated like visiting royalty and I was happy to just be the roadie toting his guitar while he made the rounds.  He got so many freebies it got me crazy....! I'm glad he scored some really choice pieces at the auctions and dealer's rooms, and had an experience he can remember.  Al dming us Saturday was a blast, I'll always remember it.  Al I think you are going to look back at this as one of the best impulse decisions you ever made in your life!  

Blackmoor....again IMO just like he appears online, a funny guy who kept me laughing all during the auctions ("It's a damn Chevette!").  He's lucky to also have such a nice and talented wife and apparantly a money making machine somewhere up in Canada that is spewing out American hundred dollar bills so he can buy all that stuff.  

Stratochamp......Honestly I didn't know what to expect of Bill but he was absolutely the most helpful guy especially at the auctions, where he gave the Acaeum members heads up on the coolest items.  I don't think I saw his wife once where she wasn't smiling and it was a pleasure to talk to them during the Friday dinner.  Congrats on the future big event that will hopefully make you even happier than you appeared to be!

Burntwire Bros......again I didn't know what to expect (Siamese twins?) but they were two of the nicest guys during the dinner and at the auctions.  Their personal artwork collection makes my head spin and they were just the friendliest and most approachable guys with a very organized approach to collecting (it appeared that way at least).  

Netrodent......Brian was a bit of a quiet guy but joined in the dinner and made quite a splash with his purchase of the 1st print woodgrain.  Again seemed to have a very organized approach to his collecting and knew what he wanted and wasn't going to be outbid very often on the items he wanted (and not at all on the woodgrain!).

James Mishler...saw him at the Troll Lords booth and funny thing he looks exactly like his avatar! (So do I now that I think about it.....). I really hope he gets some more product out because Tell Qa/XXXI is really one of the best small press products I have ever read through, I kid you not. Even if you only play old school this product is worth picking up, it's in the C&C style and you can easily use it with 1st ed, I know this is starting to sound like a plug but I was just blown away by what James did with this. Nice guy who had plenty of time to talk and signed my copies of XXXI.

Grodog....Allan I think I'm going to start called you the James Brown of Gaming, because you might be the hardest working man in showbiz. We only got to connect with Al sporadically because he was generally coming from or going to events with Rob Kuntz, again a guy I never saw without a smile on his face no matter how busy, he's definitely a guy I would love to corner sometime for a dinner and a beer just to hear the stories he has.  And thanks so much for your offer of the Bottle City spots the last day of the con if there had been ANY possible way we would have all been there but of course we had a 13 hour hellride in front of us so had to give up being DM'd by Rob Kuntz... 8O  yeh, I'm already regretting it.  Thanks Gro and we definitely have to get together sometime.

Rob Kuntz....just got to see him a couple times after he ran some events but even though I think he was fuzzy on exactly who we were, he graciously gave us his time and talked to us, we got to see his DM copies of the Bottle City map and notes (and guys the module looks AWESOME so if you don't have a copy go order one NOW!!!!).   He looked like a guy that absolutely loved to be behind the DM screen and was having a great time ever moment I saw him at the table.

Special mention to Crazy Egor....he and his wife were two of the nicest people (I seem to be saying that a lot, a trend is developing) and not all what you expect the typical convention reseller to be like.  His prices were a bit high but we all managed to pull a lump of gold out of his stuff by diligent searching, and that's what makes these conventions so fun!!!

Anyway hopefully I missed no one (ok, I missed Gus Landt but dammit Gus I only saw you for like two minutes the entire con!!!!).  Unlike the others I can't even start to list my goodies because first I did the usual "quantity over quality" and also I am staring at this big pile of boxes here wondering where the hell I am going to start and deciding what the hell I'm going out for a bagel and diet coke instead.  Maybe I'll get a list out later.  

Anyway had more fun than I dreamed possible, I have been working my wife all weekend and I think I have her half convinced to come with me next year...Indy has a great downtown guys, if you have a wife bring her along (tell her it's a "vacation") and then tell her to go shopping at the downtown mall while you make out like a bandit at the con!

Thanks everyone for making this quite a memorable weekend.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 pm 

Well, I didn't get in to Gencon until Friday evening but it was a blast!

Missed speaking to most of the Acaeum members but did manage to say "hello" to Blackmoor before the rares were sold off Friday night. That was an impressive number of rares! Couple of them I wanted but at least Blackmoor got them after a bit of a fight :)  Tried to get in on the pre-pubs but with no success dammit! Did pick up a few Dragon mags I was missing for dirt cheap though.

Had the opportunity to speak briefly with Frank M., Gary G., and numerous additional folks of note. Chatted with the Goodman Games crew for a bit.  I also had a nice conversation with Larry Elmore & family. I must say I was quite impressed! Nice family. Ended up buying a few prints & getting them signed by Larry.

There were a huge amount of talented artists there. Spent a couple hours just chatting with them and checking out the art. Found out one of them lived in Hermitage, PA. Just a few miles from where I grew up!

Only got to see about 50% of the hall.  The WOTCs booth was unreal! Did have a chance to check out Crazy Egor but a bit expensive.  Best experience was with a Warhammer dealer. Ended up chatting with him about his non-Warhammer items, Roughly 10 boxes of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition, and ended up buying the whole lot! :D  A lot of them in SW. Only has enough room to take back three of them. Have to pick the rest up at his shop sometime.

The miniatures were unbelievable! It was amazing to see what people could paint in an hour that would take me about a day!

There were also quite a few nice looking gamer babes. More than I would have expected. Especially liked the barbarian babes  

Anyone check out the game called Wench? It was hilarious.

It was a great experience. Glad I could make it there. Maybe next time I can actually meet some of you guys!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:56 am 

dbartman wrote:Well, I didn't get in to Gencon until Friday evening but it was a blast!

Missed speaking to most of the Acaeum members but did manage to say "hello" to Blackmoor before the rares were sold off Friday night. That was an impressive number of rares! Couple of them I wanted but at least Blackmoor got them after a bit of a fight :)  Tried to get in on the pre-pubs but with no success dammit! Did pick up a few Dragon mags I was missing for dirt cheap though.

Dbartman and Plaag are officially on my S-List!!!!!!!! :x

I can't believe you two didn't stop by to say hi, but it was a bit hectic.  Perhaps next year we can be introduced.....!

I thought some of the early Dragon mags were the deals of the con, especially what they are going for now online. I got various issues from #8 to #30 for about half what they go for online, and in very nice shape.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:23 am 

You Dragon buyers saved on what are usually some hideous shipping charges, too. Now that I think about, I've also bought quite a few Dragons over the years at gaming gatherings ... hmmmmm. It's possible that I might be smarter than I look.

Anyway, GenCon just sounds bigger than ever. It seemed like the biggest thing I'd ever seen back in the MECCA days, but it sounds like Indy is about twice as big and three times more important.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:38 am 

well i am already trying to set down plans to go next time - i really want to.

not necessarily to buy really, but once again to hang with the guys and do some gaming this time.

just got home and i am shattered. havent really slept in like ages....

quick shower then off to work (sheesh)....dont even have time to sit and drool over my stuff :)

thanks for truly amazing memories one and all.....shane and DB...man you guys should have come n said hello. i am really bummed that you didnt :(

oh well mebbe next time :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:37 am 

Hi Guys,

Great to see that Killjoy got home in one piece.

Wanted to let you all know that the NEWS station here in Indy reported that this Gencon was the largest and most succussful to date.  The report said that the event pumps over 30 million dollars   8O   into the local economy.  The Acaeum certainly helped with that total.

The city has decided to build a new Conference center to be completed in 2010.  Of course it will be bigger and better.  Also a new hotel will be put in place of the Marriot (Courtyard).  It will be much larger.  I've seen the plans for it and it looks very nice.

Thanks everybody for coming to the city and spending your money.  

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:42 am 

Prufrock wrote:... the event pumps over 30 million dollars   8O   into the local economy.  ...

Wow.  Those PotVQs and Daystars have really gone up in value.  8O

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:26 am 

Plaag wrote::cry: Missed the dinner and everyone from the Acaeum for that matter.
Wasn't the greatest Con for me, but still glad to have gone.

Still pouring through emails, messages, etc with the time I have today.

ShaneG.

Hey, you didn't miss everyone!  :D

Though next time we gotta schedule "hang-out time."

As things stand, I might be able to get down to Madison one of these weekends. Maybe we can get a game together...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:35 am 

Badmike wrote:James Mishler...saw him at the Troll Lords booth and funny thing he looks exactly like his avatar! (So do I now that I think about it.....). I really hope he gets some more product out because Tell Qa/XXXI is really one of the best small press products I have ever read through, I kid you not. Even if you only play old school this product is worth picking up, it's in the C&C style and you can easily use it with 1st ed, I know this is starting to sound like a plug but I was just blown away by what James did with this. Nice guy who had plenty of time to talk and signed my copies of XXXI.

Thanks Mike! It was good to meet you, too, though I wish I'd had more time to chat. We had a lot of people at the booth, but still we were quite understaffed (even when Gary wasn't there, but most especially when he was).

It was a pretty awesome show. It was great to meet everyone, though as usual, never enough to to even chat let alone really hang out or game.

I did get in one game the whole show, 1E AD&D with Allen and Erol and John and Mike and a couple other guys whose names sadly escape me at the moment (still recovering, and I know some of those brain cells are gone forever, tsk). That was probably the best game I've played/run at Gen Con in many, many years. Of course, the fact that other than quick demos it is the only game I've played/run at Gen Con in 15 years doesn't make it any less great. :)

Already counting down the days to next year. With 4E, it is going to be a banner year for Castles & Crusades, I think... oh yeah, a good year indeed!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 am 

jamesmishler wrote:
Hey, you didn't miss everyone!  :D

Though next time we gotta schedule "hang-out time."

As things stand, I might be able to get down to Madison one of these weekends. Maybe we can get a game together...

James

i truly am sorry i didnt get to game with you guys when Allan called me over man :(

thing was, i would have felt real bad on the others and i just cant do that to my friends. they made me so welcome over the weekend, it just seemed right to run through GenCon with them, ya know?

NEXT time however, we will arrange something though for sure. i will DM something real obscure for us all to play and have a lot of fun :)

and of course i really wanna schedule some side time too so we can hang and chat some, as there just wasnt enough time to chat this time round - too many things to buy and i was scared of missing out on something :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:41 am 

Wish I knew where and when to say hello, because I would have, believe me.  So next year if I go, I'm getting contact info, just in case plans change or like this year my computer has its problems.
I even had a room at the Hyatt, so that pains me to know some of you gamed there.
Guess I have something to look forward to though..time to save up and plan.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:56 am 

Plaag wrote:Wish I knew where and when to say hello, because I would have, believe me.  So next year if I go, I'm getting contact info, just in case plans change or like this year my computer has its problems.
I even had a room at the Hyatt, so that pains me to know some of you gamed there.
Guess I have something to look forward to though..time to save up and plan.

ShaneG.

Shane

you were IN the hyatt??!!! man we were Tegel Manoring on the 3rd level man....you didnt hear us having a hoot??!! man we were twice as loud as everyone else man :D

you really did miss a lot of fun - a real shame. you are most definately included next time dude - trust me i will go out my way to find you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Shane

you were IN the hyatt??!!! man we were Tegel Manoring on the 3rd level man....you didnt hear us having a hoot??!! man we were twice as loud as everyone else man :D

you really did miss a lot of fun - a real shame. you are most definately included next time dude - trust me i will go out my way to find you.

Al

Ah..never went to the 3rd floor, only 1st/2nd and 12th were my room was at. So yeah, next time I'll plan a hell of a lot better.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 am 

well its partly my fault too for being far too impulsive and just arranging everything last minute and the fact that me n mike insisted on pretty much rummaging through almost every box that was in the conference centre just in case we missed something :)

hehe my luggage case on going to gencon was something like 10lbs in weight and my carry on bag was next to nothing. coming back my case was 48lbs and my carry on was about 20lbs :)

i will make sure its all sorted better next time. as long as i can find the cash to go, i will be definately going.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:01 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well i am already trying to set down plans to go next time - i really want to.

not necessarily to buy really, but once again to hang with the guys and do some gaming this time.

Famous......Last........Words..........  :lol:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:10 am 

Badmike wrote:

Famous......Last........Words..........  :lol:

Mike B.

hehe you said it man - i said that this time and i dread to even look at how much i did :) ah well what an experience!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext