Lunch Saturday 13%       13%  [ 2 ]
Dinner Saturday before Collectable Auction 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
Meet at the Collectable Auction Saturday Night 19%       19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:44 am 

hey guys!!!!

well what a blast last night was man! we had a great day and the Acaeum dinner was amazing, had such a blast chatting with Jeff (Blackmoor), which we carried on over into the auction in the evening - man that was so funny.

i won a heap of thngs - man i was so happy - the beholders i got for $32 and really are in very very sweet condition - man was i so happy!!!! i got a load of other stuff - i really cant remember all that i got in all during the day. i did manage to snag one of the pre-pubs though - the UK module eye of the serpent. i think i got that for $160 so yes, really pleased.

i got to talk to frank M again (great guy), Lou Zocchi, even crazy egor (he thanked me for coming back like for the 5th time buying stuff), numerous other peeps and of course Rob Kuntz too, fab finally catching up with him and having a few chats and last but but not least Tim Kask - sorry if anyone disagrees, but Tim is one fantastic guy - he even gave me a 2006 Gencon staff badge and signed the back of it, so i was ecstatic about that.

i really have to say its been so great to speak with everyone and really enjoy the experience. its been an absolute blast and am sure today will be the same too. we're gonna game today so should be fun - Tegal Manor it is, so lets see how long the guys last :)

i just have to conclude with saying THANKYOU to all the guys that have made this a great time for me and its been a pure pleasure - specially Martin, Mike and John - now i get to kill them today  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

cya for now

Al!

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:23 am 

good scores guys
- Whatever Blackmoor paid for his goodies would make a nice downpayment on a car.
cheap or thinking BIG car? enjoy tegel :twisted: :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:26 pm 

Fazzle was $1000
Pharaoh was  $1225
Rahasia was $1300
Lawnmower man RPG $5.00 8O

All very nice and incredibly rare, what a great find. :D

Also go Dragon #2 and #3 for good prices

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:42 pm 

pretty darned cheap ;) ;) get them home in one piece now!!
+$5 = :lol: :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:19 pm 

Hey, if you go back by Crazy Egor's tell him I said hi. :) He's a great guy.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:30 pm 

I try to avoid buying from him, as his surcharges for international shipping are bordering on outrageous, but I will say that his customer service is top-notch.

Only time I ever had a problem with an item from him, it was replaced promptly and with no costs to me (not even shipping). :thumright:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:28 pm 

g026r wrote:I try to avoid buying from him, as his surcharges for international shipping are bordering on outrageous, but I will say that his customer service is top-notch.

Only time I ever had a problem with an item from him, it was replaced promptly and with no costs to me (not even shipping). :thumright:

But you are in Canada ... thats not international shipping ...  you are on the same continent for heaven sakes.  8O   Try Australia ...

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:02 am 

I think his surcharges are the same regardless of what continent you're on.  They really add up if you purchase multiple items.

I got hit with it once where the surcharges added up to more than the shipping.  (And the shipping wasn't that cheap, either.) 8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote:hey guys!!!!

well what a blast last night was man! we had a great day and the Acaeum dinner was amazing, had such a blast chatting with Jeff (Blackmoor), which we carried on over into the auction in the evening - man that was so funny.

i won a heap of thngs - man i was so happy - the beholders i got for $32 and really are in very very sweet condition - man was i so happy!!!! i got a load of other stuff - i really cant remember all that i got in all during the day. i did manage to snag one of the pre-pubs though - the UK module eye of the serpent. i think i got that for $160 so yes, really pleased.

i got to talk to frank M again (great guy), Lou Zocchi, even crazy egor (he thanked me for coming back like for the 5th time buying stuff), numerous other peeps and of course Rob Kuntz too, fab finally catching up with him and having a few chats and last but but not least Tim Kask - sorry if anyone disagrees, but Tim is one fantastic guy - he even gave me a 2006 Gencon staff badge and signed the back of it, so i was ecstatic about that.

i really have to say its been so great to speak with everyone and really enjoy the experience. its been an absolute blast and am sure today will be the same too. we're gonna game today so should be fun - Tegal Manor it is, so lets see how long the guys last :)

i just have to conclude with saying THANKYOU to all the guys that have made this a great time for me and its been a pure pleasure - specially Martin, Mike and John - now i get to kill them today  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

cya for now

Al!

Just finished the last auction....wasn't nearly as exciting as last nights, with it going so late and everyone being dead tired.  Still some great things like prepubs and such, the Acaeum once again was well represented.   Got to game with Killjoy as Dm today who ran us through Tegel Manor in some ultimate old school gaming.  Had a great time, actually rolled up about the best character I've ever made too bad it was only for a one shot game!!!!
 I have to say it was such a blast this weekend I cant really think of any way I'm going to be able to stay away next year.  Time and time again I saw examples of gamer goodness and especially among the Acaeum members themselves a real community of great people promoting a great hobby.  Everytime I turned around an Acaeum member was there with a funny comment or intelligent observation or buying or giving something away to another member, you just can't fake stuff like that.
    I swear I felt more at home in Indy this week than in my own town  (BTW, Indy is a great place, I would love to visit again).  Anyway despite losing my dice bag full of dice (something that also happened to Killjoy ironically) I would sign up tomorrow for next year's Gencon if I could!
  Tomorrow one last breakfast and one last trip through the dealer room to hopefully score some marked down goodies before heading back home.... :cry:

Mike B.

Mike  B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:57 am 

Badmike wrote:
Just finished the last auction....

Mike

Just like to thank you for once again sharing your stories with us.... It adds a little bit of joy to my day to read about the Acaeum members' exploits at Gen Con.  Please keep up the good work  :!:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:45 am 

Awww....man...all those great stories.
I am emerald green with envy!  :)

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:27 am 

Green with envy doesn't begin to describe it...

Sounds like the groups going to get bigger and bigger fuelled by the fantastic stories coming through.

Wife mentioned yesterday that her aunty from America who's visiting at the moment wants us to come over to the US next year. I've already asked for it to be August (BIG fingers crossed). :D

Just have to make sure it dosen't clash with the OZ convention  :(

Hey Al, you won't catch me running very far when you're over  :lol:

Congrats on all the great wins guys, and can't wait for the photos!

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:25 am 

The updates and stories have been really good, guys.  Thank you.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:41 pm 

hey guys!

well there is something else i am gonna write up but i will do that on another thread of its own, because believe me, its worth it :)

well i am sat back at martin's house now, finally winding down some before i fly back home tomorrow.

you know what? i actually feel really sad. i've spent time with some of the greatest guys i've ever know. the company has been exemplory and i really can't say one bad thing about the whole experience, except for losing a bag with some money and my own dice etc....but hey it happens.

was it worth the trip and all the expense? you betcha and if the flight had been twice as much, i would have still come. you guys who didn't make the trip, i REALLY cannot express how much of a cool experience you have missed, really i can't. i will get back home and wonder how the hell i am gonna cover all the expense, but hey, whatever :)

bought a few more things today, but it was kinda a subdued affair as me n the guys were up til about 2am with the auction etc last night and everyone was really tired still, but that was cool. we just took a stroll around the hall and snagged a few things.

just to finish off things, we went back to the auction hall as Mike wanted to get some autographs for his 40 years of GenCon book. while there, he mentioned that they were doing a buy-one-get-one-free deal with them on the last day and amazingly, he gave me his 2nd copy (i really need to find something to recompense him for that). so he went and got that and then they were heading off (Badmike and Kingofpain). so i was there and got Tim Kask and Frank Mentzer to sign my book, then we headed back into the hall. Erol Otus had sadly just gone (bummer), so we headed back over to the Troll Lord Games booth and i got Peter Bradley (the artist) to sign it. i had bought a few prints of his, which were really, really cool and then i managed to get Gary Gygax to sign it too and we had a chat and he was talking about some of the trips he made over in the UK (what a great guy). Just as he was about to go, i also managed to get my picture taken with him (will go great with the one i got took with Tim, and the other with Frank M). On our way out, we passed the auction hall one last time (withdrawal symptoms?) and i got Harold Johnson to sign it too, so that was so cool.

what an experience. such a fun time and it has given me some very happy memories and i really must try and go again next time.

just wanted to say a few things as well. The Acaeum guys there, really were so amazing, friendly, helpful and fun. Martin (Prufrock) is just the man! i can't thank him enough for playing the host so well and making me feel right at home - as a gesture of thanks, i gave him my 1st print Tegel. Mike (BadMike) and John (Kingofpain) are just amazing friends. we all hit it off right away and just had a total blast all weekend - they are great folk to hang out with and its a damn shame we all live so far apart as the gaming sessions would be so much fun!

Bill (Stratochamp) and his wife Susan, such nice people and was a real pleasure to meet them. Bill is an outstanding guy and his knowledge is amazing! he was really kind to me in allowing me to actually win some stuff as i knew he also wanted it real bad and i can only express my thanks in the guy showing what a true friend he is.

Allan Grohe (Grodog) - top guy! good fun and was nice to finally catch up! shame we didnt have enough time to chat or game more - things just seemed to criss-cross and we didnt have enough time to do anything really, which was a bummer......defo another time for sure.

Rob Kuntz - again, great to finally speak face to face and a true shame there just wasnt enough time to sit and chat more. i really wanted to but there was just too much to slot into the time that we had.......

Jeff (Blackmoor) - man this guy is a hoot! we pretty much laughed non-stop the whole time, especially during the auctions - a great guy, even though he plays 3.5 ( :twisted: ) but i won't hold that against him :) i was really happy that he got the two daystar west mods. couldnt go to a better guy and i dont think anyone was gonna get them that day other than him.

Brian (NetRodent) - another cool guy, got to chat a few times and talk about stuff. was really pleased he snagged some cool rares - he seemed real happy with them.

The Burntwires - well again, such cool guys, good fun to chat with and they kindly brought some of their art stuff along for us all to drool over - most impressive! was really great to meet them and finally catch up after so long - we must do that again.

i could prb go on and on and on - there is no doubt i have left names off but my head is frazzled and i need to sleep i think :)

finally, a huge MASSIVE thankyou and i really mean it, to Tim Kask and Frank Mentzer. they came to chat with me on numerous occasions and it was just a pure pleasure to share the same passion for the game with folk who appreciate it in the same way.

i got to sample some of Frank's cinnamon crusts - man they are soooooooo nice - anyone who hasnt tried them OR the cookies, really should go to his online store and order some stuff - truly delicious!

My final, very special thanks goes to Tim though. wow what a guy. truly i mean that too. the moment he saw me, he made a beeline to me and gave me one of last years Gencon staff badges, with the Tom Wham art on it (pic to follow) - i even got to pick whichever one i wanted from 4!!!!! and then he also signed the back - which was so cool! what was even COOLER than that, was when i got him to sign the 40 yrs of GenCon book, he also gave me a Gencon staff badge for this year too!!!!! which also had the Tom Wham art on (man i love his art - i would love to get some more!)

what was so very cool about that badge though, was that on Saturday night during the collectibles auction, i managed to snag ONE piece of the Tom Wham art (i tried for more but my pockets were not deep enough sadly) - the picture i managed to win (at an amazing snap of $21 - what a steal man!!), was the SAME picture as the badge that Tim gave me! Now is that cool or what??!!!

so yes, i am sat here with a huge smile on my face and also pretty sad that its all over.

but i tell you, i have so got to go again. seriously guys, if you are thinking about it....really try and go because you truly don't know what you are missing. swapping tales with the Acaeum guys was just so cool and finally putting faces to names was just excellent!!

so there we go....

i fly home tomorrow and then its back to normality :)

until then!

(go read my other Gencon thread which will follow after this post)

many thanks to one and all!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:49 pm 

oh and by the way, i managed to take some pics too while there, so will sort them and upload for all to see, once i get back home.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:47 pm 

So, just to be annoying, I just cast a vote for "lunch on Saturday." Does that work for you guys?  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:30 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:So, just to be annoying, I just cast a vote for "lunch on Saturday." Does that work for you guys?  :)

:D

sorry i won't be able to attend :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:08 pm 

while i have a little spare time now, thought i would let y'all know what i managed to snap up at GenCon:

Tom Wham original art "Giant FBog"
Dragon #12
Mines of Keridav - Gamelords version
Judges Guild Pegasus #9
Pre-Pub UK6 All That Matters
Pre-Pub UK3 The Gauntlet
Pre-Pub UK7 Dark Clouds Gather
Tabula Rasa print - signed by artist
Star Frontiers Box set - with extra books/uncut counters & module Mission to Alcazzar
The Morrow Project - 3rd edition rules
Dragon #7
Dragon #25
Dragon #26
Dragon #31
Dragon #32
Pre-Pub UK Eye of the Serpent
Dragon #44
Dragon #45
Dragon #46
Dragon #47
Dragon #48
Dragon #49
The Beholder 2
The Beholder 3
The Beholder 5
The Beholder 6
The Beholder 7
The Beholder 8
The Beholder 10
The Beholder 11
The Beholder 12
The Beholder 13
The Beholder 14
The Beholder 15
The Beholder 16
Best of Journal to Travellers Aid Society Vol 2
Best of Journal to Travellers Aid Society Vol 4
Journal to Travellers Aid Society #17
Traveller Adventure 2: Research Station Gamma (x2)
Traveller Adventure 11: Murder on Arcturus Station (x2)
Judges Guild Trial By fire S/W (x3)
Traveller Alien Module 1: Aslan
Traveller Double Adventure 1: shadows/annic nova (x2)
Traveller Double Adventure 3: death station/the argon gambit
Traveller Double Adventure 6: night of conquest (x4)
H4 Throne of Bloodstone S/W (though shrink is split at the top)
AD&D 2e Wizards Challenge II S/W
AD&D 2e MC Kara-Tur appendix S/W
AD&D 2e MC Spelljammer Appendix S/W
AD&D 2e Clerics Challenge II S/W
Bushido module: Valley of the mists
Deaths Edge presents Inferno
Companions: High Road
various Judges Guild maps (minty condition)
Judges Guild Instalment T with mailing envelope
Imperial Town of Tell Qa (x3)
Cleaver the Pit v1.0 (x2)
DCC Saga of the Witch Queen (GenCon 2007 Special 1.5e)
Wee Warriors: The Embattled Trek (star trek)
The Wild Hunt #49
The Wild Hunt #54
The Wild Hunt #56
The Wild Hunt #58
The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey
Ironhoof Highlands
Hess Games: Dark Dungeons I
The Compleat Tavern
Gamma World GW2: Famine in Far-Go
Tegel Manor - Gamescience version (x4)
Zulu - little soldier games 1977
T.H.E Fighter GM2 1979
T.H.E Non-Player Character GM1 1978
The Tome of Mighty Magic - Gamescience
Traveller Adventure 10: Safari Ship
Fantasy Areas 1: Adventure Areas
Citadel: Quest within a Wizards Tower
Heroic Fantasy
The Emerald Tablet
Judges Guild Travellers Logbook (1st print)
HHG1001 The Mystical Companion
40 years of GenCon H/B - signed by Gary Gygax, Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Harold Johnson and Peter Bradley
2 Peter Bradley art prints - Usagi & Runestone (these are awesome!)
Wizards & Warfare - leicester micro models
Inferno Preview - global games
Traveller: Beyond (paranoid press)
T&T Pocket Adventure 3: Circle of Ice
an original pencilled sketch (can't remember offhand who the artist is, as its rolled in a tube now and i dont wanna remove it yet)

so there you go guys....i left GenCon very happy :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext