Obscure but rare RPG magazines ?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:21 pm 

Iv'e been clearing out the old garage and found a number of mags from my past when D&D was very new to the world.

As much as they are fond memories I am probably going to let them go to collectors.

My main question what are the collectability of them?

I have the following

Owl & Weasel

News from Bree

Tortured Souls

Illusionists Vision

Spellbound

Trollcrusher

Underworld Oracle

The Strategic Review

Different Worlds

The Dungeoneer

Alarums and Excursions

All very early publications from about 75 - 79

I have other stuff such as WD and The Dragon which are also V early but I know they are collectable.

Any comments would be welcome

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:25 pm 

The Strategic Review is worth a decent amount, what with being the predecessor to Dragon.  Definitely collectable at the very least. :D

The JG guys can probably tell you about what copies of The Dungeoneer are worth.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm 

Owl & Weasel - this is the Games Workshop newsletter isn't it?  I seem to recall the last batch of these going for lots of money.

News from Bree - don't know much about this one

Tortured Souls - there are a few issues like #9, 10, 12 that are harder to find, most of the other issues sell for $1-$10 each.

Illusionists Vision, Spellbound, Trollcrusher, Underworld Oracle - with fanzines like this you just never know what you'll get.  I really depends on if they catch the eye of the big spenders or not.  I think you could easily get $10-$15 an issue but if you attract the right attention then it could be $40+.

Different Worlds - these are pretty common but the first couple issues will probably sell for a bit, the rest typically in the $5 range?

The Dungeoneer - if you have early issues they will probably do very well, later issues are common.

[/quote]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 pm 

i would be interested in trollcrusher, illusionists vision and dungeoneers (if they were low number issues)

Al

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:19 pm 

Well, on that note: I'd likely be interested in some of the Different Worlds issues. :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:06 pm 

Tell you what, as i'm just going through my stuff now it's going to be a while before I sell them but....... I will give guys here first shot at them.

All my issues are pretty early and in very good condition .... so watch this space.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:27 pm 

- Tortured Souls - there are a few issues like #9, 10, 12 that are harder to find, most of the other issues sell for $1-$10 each.
simon forrest fanzine from 1978 not the magazine :) :)

- Illusionists Vision, Spellbound, Trollcrusher, Underworld Oracle - with fanzines like this you just never know what you'll get.  I really depends on if they catch the eye of the big spenders or not.  I think you could easily get $10-$15 an issue but if you attract the right attention then it could be $40+.
UO selling way low last year or two because of number printed + relatively poor demand for a good zine. have seen unsold at $2-5 each originals and reprints. complete set with #7 would hopefully be much better. illusionists vision has been to $20-30. very rare for any zine to go near $40+ issue obvious exceptions dungeoneer + wyrms footnotes

- Different Worlds - these are pretty common but the first couple issues will probably sell for a bit, the rest typically in the $5 range?
sounds right

- The Dungeoneer - if you have early issues they will probably do very well, later issues are common.
yes 1-6 are good even reprints

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:02 pm 

Owl & Weasel - Go for quite a bit- I'm unsure what are actually in these if anything, the last low numbered ones were on ebay a few months ago and went for insane (IMHO) money

News from Bree- rarely seen issues 18-20 (large magazine sized one) seem to crop up the most a couple of pounds

Tortured Souls - the large magazine sized one seen all the time, the small zine ones not seen ofet at all

Illusionists Vision- Not seen very often at all

Spellbound- not see before so I'll make sure it goes for good $$

Trollcrusher- don't appear very often, good $

Underworld Oracle- these go for ok money, they appear ever so often. Issue 7 is the hardest to get and the most expensive

The Strategic Review- on ebay quite a bit should be easy to track down what they are worth

Different Worlds- not that much, except early issues, appear quite a bit on ebay

The Dungeoneer- not much unless its the first couple(individuals issies 1-6, not the compilation)

Alarums and Excursions- depends not a great deal, early issues rarely seen (although I picked mine up for $5us) the early issues were reprinted several times I think as well...

http://www.arielarchives.com/Brett/Magazines/index.html

Thanks

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:31 pm 

You can always buy DW issues direct from Tadashi Ehara @ http://www.diffworlds.com/ :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:59 pm 

Brette, I didn't see anything about The Wild Hunt in there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:11 am 

grodog wrote:You can always buy DW issues direct from Tadashi Ehara @ http://www.diffworlds.com/ :D

Good luck getting a reply. I've tried to buy from that site to no avail.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:39 am 

One place to look is Dragon #50, with Dave Nalle's article "They're colorful... They're chaotic... They're collector's items! They're... THE 'ZINES!!"

That pretty much answers one of your questions right there in the title- they're collectible, & were even as far back as the writing of this article in 1981.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:41 am 

sauromatian wrote:Good luck getting a reply. I've tried to buy from that site to no avail.

I've heard that from a few different folks, so I asked Tadashi about it at dinner while in CA last week.  He said he's been busy with day-job work, but is still minding the site.  So, if you haven't had any responses to date, shoot me an email and I'll pass them along.

I also wonder if usa.net isn't a poor isp, since he occassionally loses my emails due to bad spam filters, etc., as well.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:51 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Brette, I didn't see anything about The Wild Hunt in there.

Think he has only White Dwarfs' not The Wild Hunts...:)

Listed under Wild Hunt (should be really Wild Hunt, The) on the list

But ...

The Wild Hunt- American APA zine, very rarly seen at all, price is prob $5-$15 per issue, last issue I know and have is issue 185. I have no issues 100-181... a huge gap..

(current issues I have are 3-7, 12, 14, 16-19, 21-49, 52-61, 63-83, 85-96, 98-99, 182, 185)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:57 pm 

- But ...

- The Wild Hunt- American APA zine, very rarly seen at all, price is prob $5-$15 per issue, last issue I know and have is issue 185. I have no issues 100-181... a huge gap..

never seen wild hunts at $15 each. last seen including your gap $3 each  
** expired eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:07 pm 

Who got my run? That was 7-70ish or so I believe.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:29 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Who got my run? That was 7-70ish or so I believe.

David.  It went for ~$450 IIRC

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:46 pm 

bclarkie wrote:David.  It went for ~$450 IIRC

If englishoak decides to Ebay his fanzines, I get the sneaky suspicion that David will be spending a fair sum on money on some of those too.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:33 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- But ...
- The Wild Hunt- American APA zine, very rarly seen at all, price is prob $5-$15 per issue, last issue I know and have is issue 185. I have no issues 100-181... a huge gap..
never seen wild hunts at $15 each. last seen including your gap $3 each  
** expired eBay auction **

Well obviously I missed that one... been a bit busy lately;) Thats what I would value them at.. feel free to sell em to me at $6 per issue and double your $$;)  ... and that the problem with zines, only a few people collect em and if people miss em then the prices can suffer... try for some of the low issue numbers for a higher price...