A question about Paypal
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:16 pm 

This is a bit off-topic, but how to refunds through Paypal work?

I bought some wheels off of craigslist for $100, and when they arrived they weren't the correct ones. I've offered to return them for a refund but I haven't heard anything..

Can I go to paypal to reverse this purchase? Do I need to first return the wheels (even though the seller isn't likely interested in getting them back) and then ask Paypal for the reverse?

It'll cost about $40 to return the wheels.. so I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Thanks.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:31 pm 

You have to use their Resolution Center.  Open a dispute.  Type in all the details including the issue, and a suggested resolution.  Conduct all emailing through Paypal/the dispute.  This allows you to communicate to the seller with Paypal "watching".  Either party can escalate the dispute into a claim.  This essentially puts the ball into Paypal's court to decide what should happen.  I suggest reading up on this process via their "help" menu.  The key is that when you file a dispute on a specific transaction, Paypal will attempt to freeze the amount in the seller's account pending a resolution.  So this is just the basics, but Paypal's help section does a better job describing the process in detail.  Good luck.

Ben.S.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 pm 

Bspaul41's advice is all you need - go to the Paypal resolution centre and put the wheels in motion.(as it were)

I would imagine though, that you are probably not going to get very far with this. If the seller supplied what he said he was supplying at the price agreed then really there is not a great deal of a case for him to answer. Presumably as this is a craigslist item it is not a shop item so a returns policy is probably non existent. (Remember it most likely cost him the same to ship them as it would cost you, so his $40 is already spent - returning you $100 and taking back wheels that he doesn't want does not put him in a very good position!!(ie he would have been better off chucking the wheels away than doing what you want!!))

This is all my opinion, not legal advice of course.

Good luck anyway
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:46 am 

In my experience paypal mostly just covers items that were not shipped. If you paid through paypal but used a credit card then you should contact your credit card company and file for a reverse of charges on the payment as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:35 pm 

In my experience paypal mostly just covers items that were not shipped. If you paid through paypal but used a credit card then you should contact your credit card company and file for a reverse of charges on the payment as well.

Okay so you recommend shipping these things back and then call my credit card company to reverse the transaction? Do you know what the process is..

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:19 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Okay so you recommend shipping these things back and then call my credit card company to reverse the transaction? Do you know what the process is..

Contact your credit card company before shipping them back. You may or may not need to ship them back at all. If the seller wants them back they may have to pay you to ship them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:22 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

Contact your credit card company before shipping them back. You may or may not need to ship them back at all. If the seller wants them back they may have to pay you to ship them.