R2- Investigation of Hydell pdf unavailable?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:32 pm 

I was going to break down and buy the pdf versions of R1-R4, until I get my hands on the real thing, but R2 is unavailable on RPGNow.

Does anyone know why it's unavailable or where I can get it?

Thanks,
Phaedran

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:22 pm 

IIRC, the scanning process required a donated copy that would be destroyed (taken apart). The owner would receive a free copy of the pdf. I would guess that at the time there were no donations of R2.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:36 pm 

Gee, I wonder why.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:02 pm 

even if they do not have overhead scanner no need for that :lol: :lol: i do have two r2s with pages already sliced along spine anyhow :evil: :roll:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:34 pm 

What might be interesting to know is who donated R1, R3 & R4 "to the cause"?  8O

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:56 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:even if they do not have overhead scanner no need for that :lol: :lol: i do have two r2s with pages already sliced along spine anyhow :evil: :roll:

chuck them away, worthless tat. (my address for the chucking away to is - Carl Harvey #2.......... oh never mind)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:31 pm 

zhowar wrote:IIRC, the scanning process required a donated copy that would be destroyed (taken apart). The owner would receive a free copy of the pdf. I would guess that at the time there were no donations of R2.

Maybe I am missing something here .... but why would one donate a copy (worth between $100 - $200) of an item for free to a company which will then scan and sell for a profit ...

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:00 pm 

Cause you get a whole free pdf of it! Yay!

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:17 pm 

Bastion Press / Jim Butler was in charge of the scanning process.

Here's an old quote from 2001:

Greyhawk Product ScanningWe continue to scan products for the Wizards of the Coast ESD program.We've finished all we can for Greyhawk right now until we locate thelast few missing products. If you have any of the following products and would like to donate them to the scanning cause, please contact me([email protected]). Note that products will have theirbindings cut during this process, so if it's something near and dear to you, please don't volunteer it. Donated products should be in Good to Mint condition for us to scan (no missing pages, scribbles, or other blemishes that would show up in a scan).Missing Greyhawk Products: World of Greyhawk (#9025, published in 1980); World of Greyhawk (#1015, published in 1983); City of Greyhawk (#1043, published in 1989); WG7 Castle Greyhawk (#9253, published in 1989);Vecna Lives (#9309, published in 1990).Planescape Up NextWe'll be scanning Planescape products next, so you'll see those startappearing at the online store soon. I'll send out a plea for any missing PS products soon.

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=997

Perhaps more info can be found with the WayBack Machine...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:24 pm 

...all too easy:

Wizards of the Coast has signed a deal with Jim Butler to have him continue the ESD program that he started while he was here. The Scanning Schedule now includes the URL where you can purchase the product through the Wizards online store. In addition, we've added the words "ALL CALL" to identify products we're looking for assistance in locating.

All Call!

Before you agree to send products to Bastion Press, you should know that the scanning process totally destroys the bindings. Trying to scan them without removing the bindings causes some really bad scans, so removing the bindings is pretty much standard operating procedures now.

Products should be in as good of condition as possible, since the quality of the final scan is directly related to the condition of the product when we get it. If your product has a few minor blemishes, we can normally work though it, as we normally cannibalize several products to get one that we can scan.

Products donated to the scanning cause are not returned, so please don�t send us your most heartfelt treasures from the Golden Age of TSR if you�re expecting them back. We keep them in a safe place in case someone points out to us that we�ve missed a page.

In exchange for your products, we will send you a CD-ROM that contains the PDF files for the items you submitted. You�ll get these as soon as we�ve finalized the files, which means you�ll probably have electronic copies before they�re for sale at the online store at www.wizards.com. Note, however, that these copies are subject to all the same laws that govern the distribution of an electronic file you buy from Wizards of the Coast (meaning that you can�t give copies to your friends, sell them on E-Bay, etc.).

If you�re still interested in sending in your old game products, please send an e-mail to Jim Butler and he'll send you more specifics.

The above is from the Jan 22, 2002 version of bastionpress.com

http://web.archive.org/web/200202071245 ... om/esd.htm

What gets me is that they destroyed the bindings of these products, and the scans are *still* terrible!