OT: Fresno California early 80's Kland's Hobby shop
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 pm 

Hi there!  Is anyone on this board familiar with that shop?

My first 'real' D&D experience happened there...the store owner let us play in the back storage room.  I used to go up front and use my allowance to buy miniatures for any monsters that we encountered.

I remember that they had a great selection of miniatures...Dungeon Dwellers, Valley of the Four Winds, Minifigs World of Greyhawk, plus the ubiquitous Ral Partha and Grenadier.

We used to game every saturday from 10-5.  

Eventually we were kicked out...we started gaming at our DM's house.  We would get there early sometimes and watch Thundarr before hand.

i was one of the youngest players in the group....I was in 7th grade, and our DM's (we had two) were in college.

Funny, when I read the sample AD&D adventure in the DMG, I automatically imagine the various roles being filled by the people in our group that did that.

Our main GM was a guy by the name of Jim Gunn.  I beleive he was a theater major.  

We played a little bit of everything.  Bushido, Fantasy Trip, V&V, Ace of Aces, Lost Worlds, Runequest....Mostly AD&D.

Ah, my formative years of geekiness, I look back on them fondly.

"A war without fire is like sausages without mustard!"  Henry V of England.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:48 pm 

I was there only once, but I was living in Bakersfield so Fresno wasn't exactly local, and LA was the same distance, roughly, and a lot more fun... so I went there much more often.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.