Tim Kask Speaketh
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:52 pm 

Wow...that's a long read.

However, I thought it might be interesting to some people to see the article about where Dave Trampier has gone.

The writer of this article either had no idea who he was interviewing, or he agreed to leave it out of his interview:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:jTI ... cd=1&gl=us

*sings*  

Anybody here seen my old friend David?  He's been missing all these years.

:|

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:57 pm 

Thanks - that's a find!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:10 am 

FormCritic wrote:Wow...that's a long read.

LOL... well then, don't go anywhere near MY Q&A board. It's gargantuan.

Frank

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:09 pm 

I thought that Tim's comments about editing Blackmoor were very interesting.  I wanted even more details.

I have edited things for people before that involved me essentially writing the work for them.  That sounds very much like what Tim did.

I thought Tim's ire over Dave Arneson's sarcastic editing comments ("donuts") was funny.  It sounds like Arneson had the social skills typical of a number of gamers from back in the day.

A part of the wonderful flavor of the early D&D publications was their delightfully amateur content.  There was a fresh and interesting feeling about those early supplements.  Even the Holmes basic set, edited with few spelling and grammatical errors, still had that feel to it that this was a secret shared between good friends.  The amateur artwork and the stylings of guys like Erol Otus only added to the fun.

I don't think it's just nostalgia on my part.  There was a kind of magic about the early publications that cannot be reproduced by slick standards and professional art.

Part of it was the new language found in the early D&D books.  Even today, it is difficult to get a spell checker to check words like "eldritch," "dweomer," or "sorcerous."  Fun stuff.

I think it must have been very interesting for Tim to come back to the role playing world a year or so ago and realize that he was still a minor celebrity and that people wanted to hear about his memories.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous